It followed me home (Part 2)

Well that's a darn shame someone ground off the stamp!!!!
From the looks of it yours was quite rusty at one point. They did a soak and then sanded it to look better. It appears that way anyhow. The good news is you know what it is... It's very high quality. And it's easily recognizable as an export legitimus. So it's value is diminished but not lost.

I washed it in evaporust and wiped it down with 00 wool then a dry towel. Then used BLO on the head. It was only then that I saw grind marks in the exact location that your legitimus stamp is. Why would someone do that? So strange.

I washed it in evaporust and wiped it down with 00 wool then a dry towel. Then used BLO on the head. It was only then that I saw grind marks in the exact location that your legitimus stamp is. Why would someone do that? So strange.
I zoomed in on your photo and it looks to me that yours was a paper label...
Screenshot_20200223-212506_Gallery.jpg

But I own axes that I swear people deliberately ruined the stamps on. Tiny little hammer marks completely obscuring the markings... uber frustrating! But yeah I think yours was a paper label. If you poke around online you may be able to find another label. Or just feel stoked you've got such a good quality axe! And one that is a user and you don't have to worry about keeping it mint. It's a great find man!

The one side says Warranted Glassport PA USA and the other has the AA&T Co. has anyone seen this stamp before?

:cool:

TTdwdum.jpg

From: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/american-axe-tool-company.1516680/#post-17413826

Bob

A few new things... First one has been on my list for a long time.. My Kelly stable is really filling up!
OZdxbxS.jpg

Screenshot_20200226-154625_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20200226-154613_Instagram.jpg
I just got it yesterday but I've already hung it. Couldn't help myself. A few more.
A pre-1930 Kelly Axe & Tool co. DB stamped F.S. I think this is my favorite patina...
mg4Fdrt.jpg

mBlSDGU.jpg

A 4lb Council tools Jersey. Nice n rusty! I'll be able to make it look pretty cool I think.
joN45d1.jpg

Pf57KjS.jpg

And my first Wards Master Quality stamp. On a nice full pattern hatchet. I've since polished and hung this one too.
uSRIWVx.jpg

63vfZtZ.jpg

xz0FbVU.jpg

I just have to throw in one photo of the hatchet finished...
20200228_154704.jpg
And one of the registered hung... Thanks for checking them out!
20200229_095758.jpg

Thanks guys! It was already restored. But he sent me some before pics before I agreed to buy it.
Screenshot_20200226-161319_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200226-154601_Instagram.jpg
He did a good job with it. All I did was polish and hone the bit. Only thing I'd have done differently is polished more of the scratches out of it prior to cold bluing it. Otherwise it looks like it would've had I done it myself! I'm happy with it! It was pricey but not as pricey as a lot of them are.

Thanks guys! It was already restored. But he sent me some before pics before I agreed to buy it.
View attachment 1293855

View attachment 1293856
He did a good job with it. All I did was polish and hone the bit. Only thing I'd have done differently is polished more of the scratches out of it prior to cold bluing it. Otherwise it looks like it would've had I done it myself! I'm happy with it! It was pricey but not as pricey as a lot of them are.
That thing is seriously bad ass!:cool:

McMillon fell in my lap today. Is cool to find something made not far from where I grew up! Thought it was a no name at first. What's with the B96 on the bottom of poll?

Very nice! If you ever want to get rid of that please let me know... I've been after one for awhile! I don't know if there's any particular axe (or several) that you may want for a trade perhaps but I've got a lot of very nice ones to choose from and I'd treat you really well.
I know 96 is the year 1896 and I'm quite sure the B is the Initial of the man who made it. But don't quote me on the initial part that's just from memory...

Back