It followed me home (Part 2)

I used to plow my taters out with a tractor when I was younger. Now I actually enjoy diggin' em with a fork. Funny how as I age I find enjoyment in the slower, simpler things in life.
Love my Pontiacs!

Love my Kennebecs too!

Kennebecs make the BEST hash browns EVER!

We have similar taste in potatoes! I usually grow Kennebec or Red Pontiac. I have grown some Pontiac that were huge and plentiful. One year I cut up a 5 pound bag of Red Pontiac seed potatoes from the Faribault Nursery & Seed, got them in the ground in late April, not the traditional Good Friday planting date all the old timers here fondly reflect about. The soil was black and heavy with peat as the old house sat on an old slough that had dried out many decades earlier. After planting them I never touched them again until dad came over with the potatoe fork and we started digging. He also brought three square galvanized wash tubs and two large oval shaped ones. I never imagined we would fill those five containers full ... the big oval ones were so full and heavy we could not lift them off the ground and had to remove nearly half of the spuds to move them and load them on the truck. That winter every night supper had a Red Pontiac with butter, horseradish, salt and pepper. I was the paper boy in my small home town and knew where the old people lived and dad wanted some for the winter, but, a lot of my old newspaper route customers got through the winter with a load of spuds from their old paperboy and his dad. I wish we had been able to weigh the potatoes that year just to know how many pounds we had gotten from that five pounds of seed potatoes.

Alright guys! Lots of you are very versed in the European axes. I know nothing about them except the basics and some patterns. What can you tell me about this axe? I’m guessing it’s from across the pond but I could be wrong. Any info would be appreciated. The guy I got it from was from Pennsylvania and said he has had it for around 60 years. Thanks for the help!!

Alright guys! Lots of you are very versed in the European axes. I know nothing about them except the basics and some patterns. What can you tell me about this axe? I’m guessing it’s from across the pond but I could be wrong. Any info would be appreciated. The guy I got it from was from Pennsylvania and said he has had it for around 60 years. Thanks for the help!!

Another beast I see. Is that a 4.5 or 5 Lbs.? Looks massive in your hand.

Brian,i don't know what to think about that axe...The pattern is a Very old one,literally hundreds of years back that is what most axes were shaped like in Austria and eastward et c. from there...(i've talked with a friend in Czechoslovakia,Jiri Javourek,who still makes axes like that...
This axe is made Very well,and it's far from the easiest axe to make.
I never knew just what to make of axes this small,but they must've had some utilitarian purpose.
There's a number of them among archaeological finds,and most if not all have hardened edges,are ground and have been sharpened.
I'm sorry,that's about all i know...:(
(it's a quality object,really well forged,very cool find!:)

haha that’s funny it’s less than a pound for sure. Maybe 8oz? More maybe. The eye is soft and the bit is hardened. Pretty dang hard at that. Hopefully someone will know something about!

530p
BookReaderImages.php

https://archive.org/details/IllustratedSheffieldList14thEdition1885/page/n41/mode/2up

425, 429, 432 picture taken from @Agent_H 's post
zKqhLVd.jpg

https://bladeforums.com/threads/dutch-oregon-trail.1508376/page-8#post-17513215

It made me think of one small axe I've gotten from Germany, though now, by comparison, that one is even more down-sized.
dscf3867.jpeg
dscf3869.jpeg
dscf3870.jpeg

Wow thank you all for the information. The eye was full of dirt/wood. With that and the amount of pitting going on I wouldn’t doubt if it wasn’t dug up somewhere. Also the edge was sharpened. It actually had an extremely acute sharp edge. It was very jagged so I used a small file and just took off maybe half a millimeter. It is very old and does seem to be very well made. The forge welds seem good and the pole is faceted nicely. Seems like it would be very hard to forge. I was thinking it could have been made for dressing out animals? But like I said I know basically nothing about these types of axes. Thanks again for the comments!

40 bucks well spent I think. Useable handles.

X72N0ep.jpg

zbAnvwC.jpg

Nice finds! Would you consider that Kelly a swamping pattern? Haft looks in good shape forsure! What's the weight of that Collins? OAL length? Would you consider selling it w/ or w/o handle? I have a little collection of that era going, not the hardest steel but it takes and edge well enough.

I think the TT ts a reversible Peeling. Too wide to be a swamper. The bits are about 5". Near as I can tell with calipers, but handled, anyway. It's the same size eye either side.

That Collins is a cruiser, probly 2 1/2 pounds or so, but no weight stamp. 27 inches long.

Appreciate the offer, I'll likely keep it though

Back