It followed me home (Part 2)

Josh, I got it and another old axe from a couple of guys selling a bunch of stuff from an old homestead up in MN. Ran into them at a show (kinda a high end flea market, lots of old guns, knives and such) in the st louis mo area, their tables were covered in old tools and parts. These were the best 2 axes. The others were more worn. 10 bucks apiece. I wore out a good file reshaping the bit and sharpening. Very hard steel in this hatchet. No markings on the hatchet. Here's a comparison with a 1.25 lb hatchet. I got them 4 years ago, took a year to get around to the hatchet.
taiM7uy.jpg

Here's the other axe beside a 3 lb Collins connie. I have a pair of NOS Link handles for this pair that I'm planning on hanging this spring.
uKieq2o.jpg

Collins on left.
EMxxdIL.jpg

Has markings on both sides. I can't make it out other than axe.
e9ZPlqZ.jpg

tay0I5K.jpg

Always wondered what that pattern was called. Thank you! Where did you find the name?
I've heard it referenced twice in books, once in a video and recently a guy on Instagram. He has 3 in that pattern. I think I actually have one. I've been calling it a Connecticut pattern but it doesn't quite check all the boxes. I asked him about where he learned of the pattern, he's in Canada, and he's seen an old advertisement for them and also talked with others that have them. As well as seeing one in a logging museum in Canada. The poll, while still tapered like a connie, is taller too. So the transition from poll to bit is less pronounced in consequence.
I just went through my messages on IG trying to fing the photo he sent me but I (aggravatingly) can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking and post it along with mine once I find it.

It followed me home so long ago. I can't remember when. I couldn't quite read the mark until yesterday when I gave it some extra effort. I give it A- for brand desirability and C- for condition. Oh well, if the condition was better, I probably would never have gotten the chance to buy it at a price I could afford. My first and only Monroe Hardware Feather Edge:
20200207_123216.jpg 20200207_123159.jpg 20200207_123225.jpg 20200207_123310.jpg 20200207_123319.jpg 20200207_123251.jpg
I will clean up the rust, but the pitting is forever! T-A

It followed me home so long ago. I can't remember when. I couldn't quite read the mark until yesterday when I gave it some extra effort. I give it A- for brand desirability and C- for condition. Oh well, if the condition was better, I probably would never have gotten the chance to buy it at a price I could afford. My first and only Monroe Hardware Feather Edge:
View attachment 1279622 View attachment 1279623 View attachment 1279624 View attachment 1279625 View attachment 1279626 View attachment 1279627
I will clean up the rust, but the pitting is forever! T-A
Very nice, any chance you'd sell it? Full edge on it atleast!

a buddy of mine stopped by with this for me the other day--have not went out hunting lately---busy working...and its winter not many sales around here...
View attachment 1277816 View attachment 1277817 View attachment 1277818 View attachment 1277819

Hah same question for you, any chances you'd sell this one? Been wanting a Hurds.

I like the American Fork & Hoe axe. Don't see many of those.

Too bad the Perfect is almost gone.

And that raises a question I've wanted to ask the forum. Many of us buy axes that are beyond their usefulness. No restoration short of re-steeling could make them an axe again. What is our fascination with these?

As an example, here's a Perfect in almost new condition. Note that there is more length beyond the end of the bevel than there is from the eye to the end of the bevel.

VINTAGE-TRUE-TEMPER-PERFECT-KELLY-WORKS-DOUBLE-BIT.jpg

Just a hint of the temper line is visible. It lines up at about the end of the bevel. I've seen it here in several other Perfects. If the bit is an electro-weld then it would have usable steel all the way back to the bevel. But if it's an overlay then in its core the hardened steel would stop well short of the bevel.

This is why I suggest a vinegar soak before restoring any well worn axe. I wouldn't want to invest my time in a tool that wouldn't be usable unless the plan was to make it a wall hanger.

And that raises a question I've wanted to ask the forum. Many of us buy axes that are beyond their usefulness. No restoration short of re-steeling could make them an axe again. What is our fascination with these?
I know the bit is about gone. But it still has really deep bevels. So I grabbed it. And I felt bad, it looked lonely.

That was the first thing I said to him! Never seen an AF&H like that. They are always Plumbs! That is a super cool find!
I don't purchase the worn out ones anymore. Unless it's really cheap or has a stamp or etch I don't yet have. But it is hard even still for me to pass one up from time to time. I think it's just an appreciation for the tool even its past its usefulness or value. its still a piece of history! At least that's how I feel about it. Plus, like you said, if we learn re-steel and re- temper someday!

I need some help guys... Got 2 new things this morning;
pEtE03H.jpg

vJdR4f9.jpg

The log rule is cool. 48" But that hatchet! It's so fantastic! It's got stamps everywhere! And I can't find info on any of it yet... thought I'd ask if you all knew anything about either W. MM. Baxter (since realized its Wm M. Baxter) or BD&co Aroostook Boston.

tp50u5B.jpg

DSaiQr5.jpg

It's double stamped Wm M. Baxter on both sides of the poll...
4XwH6cO.jpg

byrcCND.jpg

It also has a triangle stamped under the poll.
15817916869324619006651685521931.jpg
My gut feeling is this is pretty darn old. It sure seems it! Thanks in advance for any help. The BD&co isn't leading anywhere due to the similarity to B&D co. I'm very pleased to own both items and would greatly appreciate any info at all!

Last edited:
Don't know anything about it, but its pretty sweet for sure! Love the rooster stamp! I've never seen an axe stamped so close to the cutting edge. I wonder if they stamped it before hardening.
Thanks! I've never even seen a rooster stamp before! Judging by profile alone it's lost a good 1/2" of bit. And, I'm sure this is the case, if it was constructed similarly to the way C. Hammond used to build em it would've only had about an inch of inlaid bit in the first place. About 1/2" visible and the other 1/2" inlaid.
15817923654184681855759763459743.jpg
I've seen D.R. Barton and some old Fayette R Plumbs stamped close to the bit like that. I imagine they only tempered the carbon steel. I haven't file tested it yet but I'm hopeful it'll be hard. Who knows! I'm just so pleased to have all those cool stamps!

Back