It followed me home (Part 2)

How bad is the eye, you are going to cut up a Rixford? Any pics of the eye?
It can probably be saved, and this was just an idea that'll likely be forgotten about before I get around to doing anything with the head.
I've got other waiting projects to tackle first.

Last edited:
I like the 2nd one better. Drop it down where you have more bit to work with.

I kind of do to but it would not be too easy to get a proper look without the poll area being part of the eye , and just leaving more on the poll would have it a bit too narrow.

oh well it's pretty beat so I think I might make some kind of funky narrow poll lugged single bit out of if.

Cutting one end off from a DB is never a great plan,especially from an older axe that is likely to have a weld inside there,which is only solid over an n-th % of it's area and will likely come undone,if not in the process of modification than very likely later in use.

Frankly,following through with this plan the result will most likely end up an abortion...:(

You're in Cal,i think? If you look up SoCal Blacksmithing assn.,or any ABANA charters/affiliates close to you,i'd bet you can find some small shop that'll weld up the missing edge(-s) for you,and you can have a 100% functional,refurbished tool.

Remenmer,the body and the eye especially of any axe is the main challenge in forging the tool,very skilled job,and extremely,prohibitively even,time/energy consuming.
Whereby just blading an existing head is Nothing,man,hardly a challenge at all.To a guy with the right skill/tooling it'd take Way less time and energy than for you to accomplish those questionable mods as proposed...

None of my biz,but just for the record....

I picked up four axes this weekend. Three from flea markets and one from an estate sale. I’m going to post my two favorites.

This one is my first James H. Mann Co axe. Also my first axe with phantom bevels.

n6g8jcA.jpg

9gR48Mi.jpg

The second one has a nice large craftsman head with a logo I haven’t really seen much. I was going to post it on the craftsman logo/marks thread but just decided to post it here. It also has phantom bevels. I got them both from the same guy who I’ve bought from before. It’s nice to build a relationship with a seller.

AcIKIHD.jpg

5cqcMBy.jpg

I’m exited to clean them up.

Cutting one end off from a DB is never a great plan,especially from an older axe that is likely to have a weld inside there,which is only solid over an n-th % of it's area and will likely come undone,if not in the process of modification than very likely later in use.
I'm pretty sure this axe is not forge welded and this would work out fine, but it can be filed back.
It would be kind of cool to see an axe with a standard bit and a much shorter thicker ( probably only 1/2" or so shorter ) splitting bit.

This Village Blacksmith set followed me home from the post office, got these in trade from Miller72 for that Rixford DB. Hopefully he will be able to correct the eye and get it popping chips once again.

They sharpened up really well, and man these hedge clippers are beasts.
They're sturdy as all get out, and they cut like a pair of barbers scissors.
The sickle is nice, but I just don't have a lot of experience using one yet to say how well it really works.

This Village Blacksmith set followed me home from the post office, got these in trade from Miller72 for that Rixford DB. Hopefully he will be able to correct the eye and get it popping chips once again.

They sharpened up really well, and man these hedge clippers are beasts.
They're sturdy as all get out, and they cut like a pair of barbers scissors.
The sickle is nice, but I just don't have a lot of experience using one yet to say how well it really works.

They look even better now they have a purpose!
The sickle you will get the hang of quick...i use one of a few i have, i havent started or run the weed trimmer this year yet.
I am happy they have a good home with a purpose.
Thank you Hickory n steel for the smooth trade.

I was waiting till you took delivery.

I will hang this beauty! Finally a companion to my Rixford 48 Connecticut.

20200703-153920.jpg

20200703-153951.jpg

20200703-154013.jpg

20200703-154006.jpgp

20200703-153937.jpg

There is a little wonkiness to a small portion at the lip of the eye...it may as is cause some angles and twists when rehanging, however i will go for it first before trying any repair.
The tongue of some hickory, ash or oak, definitely more forgiving than the steel.

Thanks again David!

I still cant believe I recieved the axe on Friday and you needed to wait till today and we shipped the same day.
Just happy we both received!!

I'm pretty sure this axe is not forge welded and this would work out fine, but it can be filed back.
It would be kind of cool to see an axe with a standard bit and a much shorter thicker ( probably only 1/2" or so shorter ) splitting bit.

I think it's pretty cool that Rixford offered double bits with different patterns on the same axe from the factory back in the day (1887 catalog).

TIglEeK.jpg

We may have run into each other

NZsn8iE.jpg

OH ALRIGHT MAN!! HELL YA!

I remeber camping the front lawn of some kind residents yard on rt 78 where we could drive no further.

We had tickets! Then the gates went down at Highgate and the The Dead and their beautiful M.O. played for all of us regardless. Sad to think the following year...

Hey, being at HighGate....did you make to Giants Stadium gig that same year or round about?
I hit it again in '94 maybe August...cant remember whoe opened up but we were out in the parking lot and missed it...lol!
But Bruce Hornsby finished with Jerry and the boys. Great Show!!

Great to reminisce...i miss 'em
Thanks for showing the ticket...i lost all my concert tickets and memorabilia when my parents house was lost to a lightening strike.
We got our VT tickets direct from the Dead, their method of a 3X5 card, information a specific way and mailed off with cash...loved that system!

Back