It followed me home (Part 2)

Thanks for your replies!
The large Blood predates the Connecticut pattern. And I believe it's actually a wide bit Michigan. I have a photo somewhere...Screenshot_20210309-230024_Gallery.jpg
It's tough because there's so few direct references to the actual patterns. I have a reprint of an 1859 Underhill brochure and that lists the patterns mentioned in a previous post above.
20210306_122643.jpg
But again it's hard to say. They don't have a pattern that directly correlates with a description. I'm thinking that large Blood is a really old Michigan pattern.
It's the closest depiction I've yet seen. Even in the Douglas catalogue linked above it looks similar.
Screenshot_20210320-144049_Chrome.jpg
I believe they made a wide bit variant, and viola that would be it.
I've got some feelers out on some very old catalogues and other info that may help settle it once and for all.
But I totally agree it's so nice to have something different. These are different animals than what we're used to!
I just hung the small Blood. :D

Nice Haul!! The one on the far right, maybe a Kent pattern, has "CAST STEEL" on the second line and what might be a steel bit on an iron frame?? What do you know about the maker and when it was made? T-A
It's an Underhill mast axe head, made in the late 1800's, likely in New Hampshire.

Second below the wooden box, is that some sort of brush hook? How many sharpened edges does it have? Nice assortment of treasures! T-A
US1701493-drawings-page-1.png

P.- ALLEN BUSH HOOK Feb. 12, 1929.
,Original Filed Dec. 11, 1926 INVENTOR. 79sec) 1441:
ATTORNEY.
Patented Feb. 12, 1929.
UNlTED STATES PERCY ALLEN, or NORTH WAYNIE, MAINE, assrenoa 'ro Nom'HwAYnn'rooL com: rm, or HALLOWELL', AINE, AICORPORATION 0F MAINE.
BUSH aoox.
Application filed December 11, 1926, Serial No. 154,268. Iltenewed December 5, 1928.
A further object of the invention is tov provide a dual purpose tool which obviates the necessity of carrying two tools for clearing land of bushes and small trees.
[Another object of the invention is to provide a weighted -bush-hook in which the weight serves a useful purpose.
These objects and the several novel features of the invention are hereinafter more fully described and claimed, and the preferred form of construction by which these objects are attained is shown in the accom-- panying drawing in which- Fig. 1 is a side elevation of a bush-hook embodying my invention,
Fig. 2 is an enlarged section taken on line 22 of Fig.1, and I S is an enlarged section taken on line 33 of Fig. 1.
The bush hook comprises an ax head 1 shown in Figs. 1 and 3 which is provided with ahelve hold 2 therein into which an ax handle 3 is fitted. The ax head 1 is formed to provide afsharp edge 4 in spaced parallel. relation with the helve-hole 2. and
the bush-hook 5 is formed integrallywith the portion of the ax head between the helve hole 2 and sharpened edge 4 projecting forwardly from between the, helve hole 2 and the edge 4 and extends outwardly on a curve away from the edge of the ax as shown and intersects the axial. line of the helve hole 2.
This bush-hook 5 has a thick edge 6 on the outside and the inner edge 7 opposite the sharpened edge 4 of the ax head is sharpened as indicated in. Figs. 1 and 2. 1 I The device is used by grasping the end of the handle 3 and drawing the head toward the user to cut off small bushes with the bush-hook 5. The weight of the ax headine'reases the weight of the bush-hook to such extent that 'with short quick movements 7 edge 4 of the tool may be used as an ax. Orf dinarily in work ofthis type a separate theax and when the :user comes to a small bush-hook and a separate ax are used. The bush-hook is generally used much more than tree he must go back and get his ax to cut v down the treecausing him considerable waste With applicanti's bush-hook both of the bush-hook while the bush-hook does not interfere with the use of the toolas an aX.
, From the foregoing description it becomes evident that thefdevice is very sirnple and efficient in operation, provides a very effective tool for clearing land, and further provides a device which accomplishes the ob'ects described.
aving thus fully described my invention.
its utility and mode of operation, what I claim and desire to secure by Letters Patent of. the United States is i '1. A bush-hook comprisin an ax head having a helveghole and a s arpened edge in spaced parallel relation and abush-hook formed integrally with theportion of the ax head between the helve hole and sharpened edge and extending outwardly on a curve away from the sharpened edge of the ex, the
bush-hook intersecting the axial line of the helve hole, and the edge of the bush-hook opposite the sharpened edge of the ax head being sharpened. i i
2. A bush-hook' comprising an ax head.
havin a helve hole and asharpened edge in space parallel relation, and a bush-hook formed integrally with the portion of the ax head between the" helve hole and sharpened edge and extending outwardly on a cation. I
' PERCY ALLEN.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1701493

Second below the wooden box, is that some sort of brush hook? How many sharpened edges does it have? Nice assortment of treasures! T-A
I was about to reply, but was beaten by a far better one.

I have 4 of them now, although I've had maybe a dozen. The first one that I ever saw I assumed was blacksmith made one of a kind. Then I found a second and so on. They are very cool.

Hi everyone, great thread. I found the thread looking for info on this fireman’s axe. Picked the axe up at an estate sale on Friday. Anyway, I believe this to be a Collins. One side of the axe says CO and HARTFORD below it. The other side has TRUCK BO. BO for the previous owners initials. I want to clean it up but I’m not really sure if/how to go about it. Any suggestions?
view
view
view
view

Back