It followed me home (Part 2)

$5 at a yardsale today.

Pre '86 Channellock #526 with the nut construction that are in great condition , the handles were a little dirty but a wet rag cleaned 'em right up.
These blue vinyl handles just never stay this nice for very long so to find them in a bucket of rusty tools in this condition is uncommon.

A Dasco 226 in decent condition.

And the ball peen is unmarked but seems to be a good tool, definitely a nicer handle than you'd get on a cheap import or a more modern one.
Seems to be about a 16oz.

Last edited:
It looks like it's never been used or sharpened. I almost didn't buy it but for $10 I figured why not? I'm not looking to sell it, just curious about the history of it.
I'm guessing, based on what I saw in completed on-line sales, that your knife/hatchet combo would fetch $3-400 at auction. What a lucky find! T-A

I would think they are ice tongs - the hinge/lifting eye looks pretty light for log work.
I have a similar set hanging on the shop wall!
I agree, they don't look stout enough to lift or drag a half ton or a ton log, but they look over-built for hauling a block of ice. What if they were for a very specific type of log, like maybe railroad ties? Just a thought. T-A

I think they came off a log carrier.
So the reason this tool isn't built any heftier than it is is because it doesn't need to be any stronger than the two people who are using it. That makes sense to me. And it also seems likely that a railroad crew might have put such a log carrier to good use moving railroad ties. Thanks to all for your input. T-A

Well, I wondered about that. Any other thoughts on it about it being a user vs a one to keep from further wear? I lean towards users. Thanks

Well, I wondered about that. Any other thoughts on it about it being a user vs a one to keep from further wear? I lean towards users. Thanks
It 's already worn and not pristine.
I say just use it, as long as you don't abuse it then you're probably not going to put a ton of wear on it.
Especially as a kindling splitter.

It's your tool though, so it's up to you.

I need to clean it up some, but looking at the bevels, I'd say over an inch. Thanks, I really Kellys, and will add this to a few more for firewood work. And, Fall is coming, so just in time for it.

So are those log tongues or ice tongues? I think log. T-A

I think they came off a log carrier.

2s8gAlk.jpg

4W2ZPq4.jpg

Bob

hXwRgts.jpg

got these two at the carlisle swapmeet, a Disston perf lance, a 5 footer, barely ever been filed judging by the rakers, and this Disston no.7 with an 1871-75 medallion for 20 and 5 respectively. both saws have etched, but one more than the other.
uGqmXWu.jpg

^the no.7
bNHc8or.jpg

^the perf lance. there's not too much left, but there is just enough of the right side to the the letters TON in real life.

I am quite excited about the no.7, it still has most of the original finish, both of the horns are intact with no chips, and it hasnt been filed too much at all. Just now i've jointed it, there were a few low sports but nothing too bad

a buddy of mine dropped by today with this load and i traded him an old cigarrette sign he wanted for his man cave-good friend ive known since 1965...didnt need the axes---or the sign matter of fact---guess ill just addd the axes to this pile in the corner of garage....

DSC07901.JPGDSC07902.JPGDSC07903.JPGDSC07904.JPG

Back