Italian Traditional Knives!!

51297407420_c91ba80e91_c.jpg

Not so traditional because of the piemontese system mixed with a Sardinian blade but really Italian ;), made by Gigi Sechi .

51297407420_c91ba80e91_c.jpg

Not so traditional because of the piemontese system mixed with a Sardinian blade but really Italian ;), made by Gigi Sechi .

As I said it the Pattada was first a fixed knife .
Like for this new Davide Steri model :

51245870312_0c16d8a4d9_c.jpg

51247636730_d817011654_c.jpg

51246584486_5c5609b9ff_c.jpg

Â
I missed seeing these!! (I was in getting a new Hip!!)
Real nice surpise!! The Pattada is exceptional, J-M!!

Really cool way to place the flipper into the handle.
Hello , this is a very a frequent mistake, even in France .
The Piedmontese system is not a flipper . Why : mainly because if it open fast ... it close fast. And a knife without a locking system must not work as a guillotine, better for your fingers .

A Piedmontese knife is only a friction folder with something more . This little stem we call lentille in French lens. It helps, but it's not enough.
So it must not be so easy to open with one hand .

In France where this system is not so well known even if used some knife-makers put some teflon washers on the axes to make it open easily. It's STUPID . Because if you try to handle normally your knife you will fast understand that your thumb won't be able to lock seriously the blade.

Â

The Piedmontese system is not a flipper . Why : mainly because if it open fast ... it close fast. And a knife without a locking system must not work as a guillotine, better for your fingers .

A Piedmontese knife is only a friction folder with something more . This little stem we call lentille in French lens. It helps, but it's not enough.

In France where this system is not so well known even if used some knife-makers put some teflon washers on the axes to make it open easily. It's STUPID . Because if you try to handle normally your knife you will fast understand that your thumb won't be able to lock seriously the blade.

Â
+1 that's why I like the Vernante, and none of the French made "piemonteses"! Try and put one in your pocket without sheath! 😂

My pleasure indeed!!
The great God Google has spoken to me!!! She says that Dorgali is a municipality in Sardinia!! In the " Province of Nuoro, in the Italian region Sardinia"!!
So Dorgalese means "from Dorgali"!! So perhaps a it is Pattada styled or made there??!!
Mine is from Nuoro it was an amazing place,very dangerous at one time.

+1 that's why I like the Vernante, and none of the French made "piemonteses"! Try and put one in your pocket without sheath! 😂
I use a lot of French Piedmontese (Mathieu Callejon, Mickael Moing, Julien Maria...) generally the blades are tight enough not to open by themselves (at least with these cutlers).
The only reason I put my Piedmontese knives in a sheath now is to preserve my pockets, the "lentille" having a tendency to pierce them in the long run... 😂

Â
Thank you for all your very informative posts,I never noticed the position of the pivots on my Pataddas until you mentioned it.
I guess I dont look hard enough.😃

Sfilato from Frosolone by Fraraccio (inexpensive plastic-handled version)
Got horn version not too long ago. I'd say overall it's mediocre quality. Wobble, rough edges on handle, unsharpened point of the blade. The bail is not moving much without hard pressure to and scratching the horn scale. Wouldn't really recommend.

Here is my Big version.

Mine came from a non tourist area, I like to get as authentic originals as possible.

It was an amazing shop with all kinds of hardware and the like.

They had display cases with very old knifes and named makers that where the real deal,from memory mostly undecorated and simple which I like.

I tried to buy one but they where most definitely not for sale.

Like the Corsican knifes some have moved on from working tools to elaborates show pieces.

I choose the simplest I could find,I love this translucent Mouflon and the traditional bird on the bolster (its not to flash).

The bird was also on pottery,needlework and the like in the museum and some shops.

Back