It's a Christmas GAW Charlie Brown WINNER ANNOUNCED A DAY EARLY POST # 41

I'm not sure how old I was when I understood how things worked on Christmas. Not only was it a huge disappointment to no longer "believe" but I was concerned because we were poor and I knew my parents didn't money for the new bikes my brother and I wanted. Seeing those bikes by the tree on Christmas morning is a memory I'll never forget.
Great giveaway, Merry Christmas!

Man I can relate I remember when I was 7 my bicycle was one of those beginners bikes that came with training wheels. Of course those had came off quite a while earlier but that was my wheels and my most prized possession.
Now my mother was a very strong southern baptist woman while my dad and I let's just say weren't as dedicated. She was a member of an organization within the church called the Women's Missionary Union. So this particular year these ladies took on the task of "sponsoring a family". They got info on a family that was in need such as kids their age size gender and so on then try to come up with everything to supply the family's needs and give them a great Christmas. Now I must say that was certainly an excellent thing to do and I stand behind helping others 100% but keep in mind I was 7 yrs old. Well mom and dad loaded up the back of the car while I had to sit in the back seat it was a 1956 Ford Crown Vic I sure wish it was still around. Anyway it was Christmas Eve and we headed off to the this family's house. When we finally arrived I was made to stay in the car while they spoke with the family and delivered the gifts. That's when I saw dad roll my bike up to that door and some kid's two grubby hands grabbed my bike and pulled it inside and my bike was gone in a flash.
Now I was totally freaked out because I knew we were poor as Job's house cat and there was never money for something like a bike. No my Christmases back then consisted of maybe a cap gun and holster and 1 or 2 other inexpensive toys, a couple of comic books a couple of new outfits some candy and fruit so I dismissed the idea of a new bike and I remember actually feeling sick at my stomach. Now things were different back then and a boy of 7 just did not question your parents decisions so I just had to suck it up and I believe that was the most miserable Christmas Eve I've ever had.
The next morning I woke up and realized it was Christmas a well needed diversion from the loss of my bike. I walked into the living room where our tree was mom and dad were sitting there with a fire in the fireplace drinking coffee then everything disappeared except for that brand new green Schwinn Stingray sitting under that tree. Butterfly handlebars, Banana seat and a battery operated headlight this was truly a Christmas miracle.

The Christmas stories in this thread sure have been a pleasure to read. It got me thinking about how I used to 'help' my mom with the christmas baking. My mom's parents both came over separately from Sweden to the States in their early twenties, learned to speak English on the job, and met in Chicago in the time of prohibition, Al Capone, etc. I wish I had asked them about life in Chicago at that time, when I had the chance, anyhoo.

Back to baking...my mother ( Mor ), and my mother's mother ( Mormor ) were both excellent cooks and bakers. I miss helping them, and later my mom, make three things: Swedish coffee bread :), a sweet bun or roll/loaf, of yeast dough , spiced with cinnamon and cardamom ( my job to peel and grind the seeds in a mortar and pestle, fun job for a twerp ) , and covered with sliced almonds. Kringler cookies, a weird half way hard cookie, shaped like a tiny pretzel, spiced with caraway seeds. And ginger cookies sprinkled with granulated sugar.

I would walk a mile for good fresh coffee bread and a big cup of strong coffee. I should get baking some myself and see what I can come up with after a few tries. My mom's been gone for a few years now :(, and baking and eating some good coffee bread would be like having a visit with her and my Mormor.

Michael

Yeah, and I'm in Randy, thanks for the GAW, and the fun thread. :thumbsup:

Now keep on posting because there is nothing worse than to host a GAW and no one wants in. :eek::( But for those that have already posted and those that will post if you don't want the knife just pick a member you want it to go to and we'll make it happen. :)
So again keep posting because you folks are family and it makes me happy to see people participate.

Man I can relate I remember when I was 7 my bicycle was one of those beginners bikes that came with training wheels. Of course those had came off quite a while earlier but that was my wheels and my most prized possession.
Now my mother was a very strong southern baptist woman while my dad and I let's just say weren't as dedicated. She was a member of an organization within the church called the Women's Missionary Union. So this particular year these ladies took on the task of "sponsoring a family". They got info on a family that was in need such as kids their age size gender and so on then try to come up with everything to supply the family's needs and give them a great Christmas. Now I must say that was certainly an excellent thing to do and I stand behind helping others 100% but keep in mind I was 7 yrs old. Well mom and dad loaded up the back of the car while I had to sit in the back seat it was a 1956 Ford Crown Vic I sure wish it was still around. Anyway it was Christmas Eve and we headed off to the this family's house. When we finally arrived I was made to stay in the car while they spoke with the family and delivered the gifts. That's when I saw dad roll my bike up to that door and some kid's two grubby hands grabbed my bike and pulled it inside and my bike was gone in a flash.
Now I was totally freaked out because I knew we were poor as Job's house cat and there was never money for something like a bike. No my Christmases back then consisted of maybe a cap gun and holster and 1 or 2 other inexpensive toys, a couple of comic books a couple of new outfits some candy and fruit so I dismissed the idea of a new bike and I remember actually feeling sick at my stomach. Now things were different back then and a boy of 7 just did not question your parents decisions so I just had to suck it up and I believe that was the most miserable Christmas Eve I've ever had.
The next morning I woke up and realized it was Christmas a well needed diversion from the loss of my bike. I walked into the living room where our tree was mom and dad were sitting there with a fire in the fireplace drinking coffee then everything disappeared except for that brand new green Schwinn Stingray sitting under that tree. Butterfly handlebars, Banana seat and a battery operated headlight this was truly a Christmas miracle.
A wonderful Christmas story Randy and your GAW truly fits the season. I have greatly enjoyed everyone's Christmas stories. If my post wins please send it to that misplaced hillbilly that lives down the road from you. Thanks again my friend for your thoughtful meaningful contributions.

Not an entry Randy - generous GAW! I have a lot of childhood memories of Christmas through teenage years to my kid's experiencing Christmas. My favorite gift as a kid was the Major Matt Mason Moon Station. That is the coolest toy I have ever owned...

Randy, thanks for your generous, seasonal, and nostalgic GAW!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup::) Christmas traditions are the best!
I'm entering on behalf of Joshua @JTB_5.

One tradition I always enjoyed as a kid was the Christmas stockings we'd find on Christmas morning. :):thumbsup: We usually opened Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve, after we finished the milking, other chores, and a quick supper. Usually my maternal grandparents joined us. Although I'm quite sure, looking back, that my folks didn't have much discretionary cash, the kids always got what I considered some sweet surprise gifts, usually including something "big" for each of us.

But the stockings on Christmas morning were something I always counted on, because there weren't surprises. Almost every year we each got a "Christmas Book" of Life-Savers (remember those packages with 12 rolls in each?). I usually used one roll of Life Savers per month as my candy in church, so the Book lasted me all year - guess I was budget conscious even back then! :rolleyes: We got some nuts of various kinds (usually walnuts, pecans, filberts, Brazil nuts, and almonds), an orange, and usually a small stash of candy bars, each kid getting his/her favorite kind. I always got a 6-pack of PeterPaul Mounds, with the dark chocolate and coconut, but I wasn't as successful in savoring those for a long period. Each wrapper had the 2 little bars, and I'd usually eat 1 piece each day, so at least they lasted through Christmas break and maybe a week beyond. All of the stocking contents were treats we almost never had anytime other than Christmas! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Randy encouraged photos, so here's a Yesterday-Today photo that involves one of the "big" gifts my 2 younger brothers and I received one Christmas. In my basement, I have an Aurora HO racing set that I think we got for Christmas 1964 or 1965 (one of the cars in it was the hyped new model from Ford called the Mustang - did that first come out as a "1964 1/2" model?). The Corvette and the Maserati (?) were cars that belonged to me, with the yellow one being a later purchase, as was the "Hop Up Kit" I bought to try to soup up my Vette. One of my brothers had the Mustang and the other had a Buick Riviera, but they each bought other cars too. Anyway, they're pictured here with Rough Rider carbon steel canoe and sowbelly stockman that my family is gifting me for Christmas this year! :Dcanoe.sow.HOcars.box.jpg
Here's a closer look at the HO cars:
HOcars.sow.bkgrd.jpg
Thanks again for the great GAW, Randy, and best wishes to all the entrants!! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Randy encouraged photos, so here's a Yesterday-Today photo that involves one of the "big" gifts my 2 younger brothers and I received one Christmas.

Great story and pictures GT :thumbsup: I haven't thought of the Lifesaver books in forever. Funny you mentioned them being your church candy the little church we attended when I was a kid always had a Christmas play and after it was over they passed out treat bags with fruit, nuts and candy to everyone and the kids all got one of those books of Lifesavers as well as the treat bag.

Thanks, Randy. :) We used to get treat bags after our annual Christmas program in our church, too! Another orange, a variety of "unusual" nuts, and some big chocolate candies with mint, jelly, or caramel inside (mint was my favorite). I remember one year, one of my buddies in 4th or 5th grade were asked, during the final rehearsal, not to sing so loudly on the Christmas carols in the program. :rolleyes: I think our enthusiasm outpaced our talent by a considerable amount! :D

- GT

Thanks, Randy. :) We used to get treat bags after our annual Christmas program in our church, too! Another orange, a variety of "unusual" nuts, and some big chocolate candies with mint, jelly, or caramel inside (mint was my favorite). I remember one year, one of my buddies in 4th or 5th grade were asked, during the final rehearsal, not to sing so loudly on the Christmas carols in the program. :rolleyes: I think our enthusiasm outpaced our talent by a considerable amount! :D

- GT
I remember lip-synching "The Little Drummer Boy"!

Bump this up in case someone else wants to enter I will close it to new entries tomorrow.

I was about 10yrs old.. I got up in the middle of the night to see what Santa left under the tree.. It was pitch black.. Mom came out and chased me back to bed.. The next am she asked me how I saw anything.. I told her.. I got my glasses on!!!:D
Thank You Randy for your generosity on this chance.. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!!
John

A999-EA26-EAC5-4-A64-AF4-D-E22-ED3457-C27.jpg
F77209-C6-688-C-40-A8-8157-061-D466-FD620.jpg
6579-F116-7-CAA-4-F0-E-B78-C-820-D8-FCA1-C15.jpg

My Christmas story took place today. Visiting at my sons in north GA, took my youngest daughter on the Santa Train - we all had a great family time. OH

Ha! Your no "thanks but no thanks" stipulation is now bypassed by your own time limit! Muuuuaahahaha!
Ok so I just wanted to share a Christmas memory regardless :)
My father had this old Stevens Arms 22 rifle with a squirrel carved into the stock. He had it very early maybe got it when he was 8? He hunted with his brothers at 7, 8, and 10 and also ran trap lines. He kept it and I learned to shoot with the same gun at about 8 years old as well. When I was 14 he handed it down to me at Christmas. Not 2 weeks later it was lost to a house fire. We lost pretty much everything. The next Christmas he gave me a Marlin Model 60 with a Walnut stock to replace it. It was a close watch. 4" shorter, 2 less capacity, but close. To me it's the most classic, beautiful design. I will pass it on to my daughter some day. I taught my daughter to shoot when she was 6 with that Marlin. It goes to the range with us every time. I hope to teach her children with it as well!

Ha! Your no "thanks but no thanks" stipulation is now bypassed by your own time limit! Muuuuaahahaha!
Ok so I just wanted to share a Christmas memory regardless :)
My father had this old Stevens Arms 22 rifle with a squirrel carved into the stock. He had it very early maybe got it when he was 8? He hunted with his brothers at 7, 8, and 10 and also ran trap lines. He kept it and I learned to shoot with the same gun at about 8 years old as well. When I was 14 he handed it down to me at Christmas. Not 2 weeks later it was lost to a house fire. We lost pretty much everything. The next Christmas he gave me a Marlin Model 60 with a Walnut stock to replace it. It was a close watch. 4" shorter, 2 less capacity, but close. To me it's the most classic, beautiful design. I will pass it on to my daughter some day. I taught my daughter to shoot when she was 6 with that Marlin. It goes to the range with us every time. I hope to teach her children with it as well!

Great story my friend I'm sure your daughter will treasure it as much as you. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back