Jack's Random Tuesday Carry

As a boy I was fishing mad! I lived and breathed it, read about it, studied it, practiced it whenever possible, and when I wasn’t fishing, I would be making tackle, tying flies, practicing casting, or planning how I was going to catch a big fish. It was a bad time for fishing in England unfortunately, particularly in industrial towns like Sheffield, and I usually had to travel two counties away to find some clean water and decent fish. My main knife was a sheath knife, made from a re-purposed kitchen knife, and I used it all the time. I also carried a small Chinese fish knife, like this one r8shell r8shell kindly sent me. I certainly had other pocket knives on me too.

q604ma1.jpg

Richards of Sheffield made inexpensive clam-shell Fish Knives, just like the US Imperials, Ticklers with a long clip blade and disgorger/fish-scaler, but the only knives which were advertised in the British angling press then – The Angling Times, Angler’s Mail, and Angling Telegraph – were Normark-branded EKA and Martinni folding and fixed blade knives. The only other fishing knives I remember were Japanese-made knives like this one.

Ko7XbWA.jpg

K5hwaM1.jpg

Fishing was very much a working –class sport here then, still is really, except for trout and salmon fishing. I don’t recall seeing any adverts for angler’s knives in the up-market pages of Salmon & Trout, but that’s the sort of periodical where you might have found a knife like this Brookes & Crookes Angler’s Knife.

j5m7S8G.jpg

bKMnRlJ.jpg

kitVOGg.jpg

Angler’s Knives often come much fancier than this modest model, they are very collectible, and they tend to be pricey because there are also collectors of vintage fishing tackle who seek them out, in addition to cutlery enthusiasts. I was very pleased to find this one, and it’s my Random Tuesday carry today.

Brookes & Crookes always made a nice knife, and could trace their roots back, at least, to the early 19th century, though Brookes & Crookes was only established in 1858, when John Brookes (1825-1865) was joined in partnership by Thomas Crookes (1827-1912). They set up business at Atlantic Works, just up the road from where John Brookes had been born. From the beginning Brookes & Crookes were committed to producing first-class wares, and to paying fair wages to their workforce, with bonuses for new designs. By 1861, they employed about 50 workers, but in 1865, aged only 39, John Brookes died. Crookes took over the firm, aided by his works manager, William Westby, who became a partner. While Crookes acted as the firm’s traveller, Westby ran it, until his retirement (and later, death) in 1891. Crookes remained an energetic traveller, and was joined in running the firm by his sons Herbert and Willis. They remained at Atlantic Works, an unglamorous location, with a modest workforce of 130, but they had acquired a reputation for superb work, and their multi-blade knives could command as much as £30. They won a string of awards and medals, with numerous new designs of multi-bladed and sportsman’s knives. By 1912, the third generation of the family were running the company, but like most Sheffield cutlery firms, they then went into slow decline, with Atlantic Works eventually closing in 1957. A large gas engine, around which the factory was built, was too big to remove, and is rumoured to have been left buried under the apartment buildings which were built on the old site, where I later lived for 10 years.

vNzjrwy.jpg
As an avid trout fisherman, a trout snob, I love the knife and the stories of you fishing days. :cool::thumbsup:

Great post Jack, as always. Thank you for doing this!

Thanks Dave :)

As an avid trout fisherman, a trout snob, I love the knife and the stories of you fishing days. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you John, I wish my fishing stories weren't quite so old now! :rolleyes: I'm sure you've heard that social class affects everything in Britain, that's true right down to the fishing bait you use, and the places you can afford to fish sadly. Like many, I started out with a worm and a pin, fishing the old mill ponds of ancient cutlery wheels :thumbsup:

As a boy I was fishing mad! I lived and breathed it, read about it, studied it, practiced it whenever possible, and when I wasn’t fishing, I would be making tackle, tying flies, practicing casting, or planning how I was going to catch a big fish. It was a bad time for fishing in England unfortunately, particularly in industrial towns like Sheffield, and I usually had to travel two counties away to find some clean water and decent fish. My main knife was a sheath knife, made from a re-purposed kitchen knife, and I used it all the time. I also carried a small Chinese fish knife, like this one r8shell r8shell kindly sent me. I certainly had other pocket knives on me too.

q604ma1.jpg

Richards of Sheffield made inexpensive clam-shell Fish Knives, just like the US Imperials, Ticklers with a long clip blade and disgorger/fish-scaler, but the only knives which were advertised in the British angling press then – The Angling Times, Angler’s Mail, and Angling Telegraph – were Normark-branded EKA and Martinni folding and fixed blade knives. The only other fishing knives I remember were Japanese-made knives like this one.

Ko7XbWA.jpg

K5hwaM1.jpg

Fishing was very much a working –class sport here then, still is really, except for trout and salmon fishing. I don’t recall seeing any adverts for angler’s knives in the up-market pages of Salmon & Trout, but that’s the sort of periodical where you might have found a knife like this Brookes & Crookes Angler’s Knife.

j5m7S8G.jpg

bKMnRlJ.jpg

kitVOGg.jpg

Angler’s Knives often come much fancier than this modest model, they are very collectible, and they tend to be pricey because there are also collectors of vintage fishing tackle who seek them out, in addition to cutlery enthusiasts. I was very pleased to find this one, and it’s my Random Tuesday carry today.

Brookes & Crookes always made a nice knife, and could trace their roots back, at least, to the early 19th century, though Brookes & Crookes was only established in 1858, when John Brookes (1825-1865) was joined in partnership by Thomas Crookes (1827-1912). They set up business at Atlantic Works, just up the road from where John Brookes had been born. From the beginning Brookes & Crookes were committed to producing first-class wares, and to paying fair wages to their workforce, with bonuses for new designs. By 1861, they employed about 50 workers, but in 1865, aged only 39, John Brookes died. Crookes took over the firm, aided by his works manager, William Westby, who became a partner. While Crookes acted as the firm’s traveller, Westby ran it, until his retirement (and later, death) in 1891. Crookes remained an energetic traveller, and was joined in running the firm by his sons Herbert and Willis. They remained at Atlantic Works, an unglamorous location, with a modest workforce of 130, but they had acquired a reputation for superb work, and their multi-blade knives could command as much as £30. They won a string of awards and medals, with numerous new designs of multi-bladed and sportsman’s knives. By 1912, the third generation of the family were running the company, but like most Sheffield cutlery firms, they then went into slow decline, with Atlantic Works eventually closing in 1957. A large gas engine, around which the factory was built, was too big to remove, and is rumoured to have been left buried under the apartment buildings which were built on the old site, where I later lived for 10 years.

vNzjrwy.jpg
Neat theme to this week. I have fond memories of those ruled "Floating Fish Knives."
I fished a lot as a kid in the summers on a lake in Maine.

Neat theme to this week. I have fond memories of those ruled "Floating Fish Knives."
I fished a lot as a kid in the summers on a lake in Maine.

I never actually had one, but I think my grandfather had been bought one. They always made me laugh :) For some reason, I thought the measurements on the 'Dishonest' side were called 'Cheating Inches'. It was only much later I found out that they were actually centimetres, which I still refer to as 'Cheating Inches' :D ;) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I wonder if those are still being made?
My guess is they'd be plastic handle versions if so. They were in all the stores when I was a kid in the 70s. Probably a tourist thing but I had one back then :)
I never actually had one, but I think my grandfather had been bought one. They always made me laugh :) For some reason, I thought the measurements on the 'Dishonest' side were called 'Cheating Inches'. It was only much later I found out that they were actually centimetres, which I still refer to as 'Cheating Inches' :D ;) :thumbsup:

Great thread, Jack!
A little off topic but I get a kick out of the Angler's Pint Beer Glasses my son got me for Christmas.
Trout fishermen like to stretch the truth about most anything!
f6rFsCO.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread, Jack!
A little off topic but I get a kick out of the Angler's Pint Beer Glasses my son got me for Christmas.
Trout fishermen like to stretch the truth about most anything!
f6rFsCO.jpg

Those are beautiful Gary - and very practical ;) What a thoughtful gift :)

Here, Trout (Rainbows, Brown Trout, Brookies, Sea Trout), together with Grayling, and Salmon, are categorized as 'Game Fish', all the other freshwater fish are 'Coarse Fish'. A commoner might sometimes get a trout, but they're not getting anywhere near a Salmon. A Grayling is a beautiful fish I think, but quite uncommon here. Maybe things will change in every respect since the waters are less polluted today than they were 50 years ago, and there's a lot more fish, of all kinds in them. I never expected to see anyone fishing in Sheffield's River Don, right next to where all the dirty old factories used to be.

v1AcSsY.jpg

In my teens, I used to earn pocket money tying trout flies for Sheffield's biggest fishing tackle shop. I didn't even have a proper vice, just a pin vice. I'm afraid I don't even have one of them now, and I certainly couldn't tie one today :)

Those are beautiful Gary - and very practical ;) What a thoughtful gift :)

Here, Trout (Rainbows, Brown Trout, Brookies, Sea Trout), together with Grayling, and Salmon, are categorized as 'Game Fish', all the other freshwater fish are 'Coarse Fish'. A commoner might sometimes get a trout, but they're not getting anywhere near a Salmon. A Grayling is a beautiful fish I think, but quite uncommon here. Maybe things will change in every respect since the waters are less polluted today than they were 50 years ago, and there's a lot more fish, of all kinds in them. I never expected to see anyone fishing in Sheffield's River Don, right next to where all the dirty old factories used to be.

v1AcSsY.jpg

In my teens, I used to earn pocket money tying trout flies for Sheffield's biggest fishing tackle shop. I didn't even have a proper vice, just a pin vice. I'm afraid I don't even have one of them now, and I certainly couldn't tie one today :)

That's a nice looking piece of water, Jack! Reminds me of Nine Mile Creek that runs right along side the old Camillus Cutlery Factory, but larger.
My dad tied flies and did teach me the craft. I've tied some but it's been awhile. I might try my hand at it again. A good winter time activity.
I did an Eeny, meeny, miny, moe and ended up carrying my Lloyd when I went out today. Not quite a random pick, but close. ;)
Ix6JiwV.jpg

q604ma1.jpg

Ko7XbWA.jpg

K5hwaM1.jpg

j5m7S8G.jpg

bKMnRlJ.jpg

kitVOGg.jpg

vNzjrwy.jpg

Another great Random Tuesday post, Jack! Cool knife/knives and interesting background/history. :thumbsup: (I have to say, though, that Brookes & Crookes sounds like a fictitious company name, or perhaps an English comedy duo!) :D :D

I meant to grab another random knife to carry today, but ended up dealing with frustrating computer and phone issues most of the day. :confused: I’ll be in again next week. :thumbsup:

I enjoy Jack's "Tuesday Carry" mostly for the stories and interesting information that accompanies his unusual knives. And of course great to see some wonderful knives from others as well!!!
Enclosed is a mid-20th century Sheffield knife that I pocketed today from the firm of John Petty & Sons. That company has humble roots which date back to circa 1841 according to Tweedale's exceptional book.
Petty established "Perth Works" in the mid-1890s and became quite well known for producing good quality butcher and trade knives (working men's knives) as well as fine pocket knives. Sadly, Petty closed their doors in 1986 as so many other Sheffield cutlers did around that time. The "Perth Works" building was shortly there after demolished and Tweedale stated that "It was a fine example of a traditional Sheffield cutlery factory".

This Petty & Sons two blade folder has beautiful multi-colored horn handles with a nickel silver oval shield which nearly disappears into the lighter portion of the horn handle. The knife is resting on another bit of British history. The late 19th century box once held cotton thread from the "J & P Coats" company which was established in Paisley, Scotland in 1755. That company still exists today under the name "Coats Group" and is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of sewing thread and supplies.

View attachment 1278015

That's a nice looking piece of water, Jack! Reminds me of Nine Mile Creek that runs right along side the old Camillus Cutlery Factory, but larger.
My dad tied flies and did teach me the craft. I've tied some but it's been awhile. I might try my hand at it again. A good winter time activity.
I did an Eeny, meeny, miny, moe and ended up carrying my Lloyd when I went out today. Not quite a random pick, but close. ;)
Ix6JiwV.jpg

The Don is looking better today than it's done for a very long time Gary, when I was a kid it was heavily polluted, and even in the 1980's, when I used to kayak down it in winter (too shallow in summer), you were advised to get tetanus shots if you came out of your canoe! :eek: I learned to tie flies from books, but I don't think I'd be able to do it today, I don't have the eyesight or the nimble fingers, a lovely craft though :) Your Lloyd is looking wonderful, as always :) :thumbsup:

Another great Random Tuesday post, Jack! Cool knife/knives and interesting background/history. :thumbsup: (I have to say, though, that Brookes & Crookes sounds like a fictitious company name, or perhaps an English comedy duo!) :D :D

I meant to grab another random knife to carry today, but ended up dealing with frustrating computer and phone issues most of the day. :confused: I’ll be in again next week. :thumbsup:

Thanks Barrett, yes, I know what you mean :D Sorry to hear about your phone/computer problems, I hope they're sorted out now :thumbsup:

I enjoy Jack's "Tuesday Carry" mostly for the stories and interesting information that accompanies his unusual knives. And of course great to see some wonderful knives from others as well!!!
Enclosed is a mid-20th century Sheffield knife that I pocketed today from the firm of John Petty & Sons. That company has humble roots which date back to circa 1841 according to Tweedale's exceptional book.
Petty established "Perth Works" in the mid-1890s and became quite well known for producing good quality butcher and trade knives (working men's knives) as well as fine pocket knives. Sadly, Petty closed their doors in 1986 as so many other Sheffield cutlers did around that time. The "Perth Works" building was shortly there after demolished and Tweedale stated that "It was a fine example of a traditional Sheffield cutlery factory".

This Petty & Sons two blade folder has beautiful multi-colored horn handles with a nickel silver oval shield which nearly disappears into the lighter portion of the horn handle. The knife is resting on another bit of British history. The late 19th century box once held cotton thread from the "J & P Coats" company which was established in Paisley, Scotland in 1755. That company still exists today under the name "Coats Group" and is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of sewing thread and supplies.

View attachment 1278015

Great to see you here pal :) That Petty is a beauty, the Sheffield cutlers seem to have been very fond of that pattern, though I really find them in such excellent condition. Petty's were close to Stan Shaw's old workshop, and the stag on a couple of the knives he made for me (including the Sheepsfoot below), came from there. Unfortunately, that whole area, once known as 'Cutler's Hill', where my grandfather grew up, has almost entirely been demolished now :( Fantastic old box, a friend of mine was Writer in Residence at Paisley University a few years back. Funny to think of the place having made such a contribution to the 'swinging sixties' in the form of the 'Paisley pattern' :D They are very proud of it apparently :) :thumbsup:

iQaKj9x.jpg

I love this thread!! The stories and discussion have some depth and interest!It's a pleasure to stop and read this thread!! I inadvertently joined the "random Tuesday Carry" by grabbing this Ericson to open my mail yesterday (so sharp it cut 4 pages into thirds, that fell out of the envelope like confetti!!:eek:) so it's randomly still in my pocket today, while I looked for (and finally found today) Old Boiley!!:rolleyes::D
Sowbelly A.jpg Sowbelly B.jpg
I re-used the pictures! Ken Erickson sure knew how to sharpen a knife!! (At least it looks like the original edge!!??);) Nice knife in the pocket!!:thumbsup:

View attachment 1278015

A tremendous knife that :cool: Not much random about it though;) Not random jigging anyway but a random example of how horn can look and will last given the quality of horn and skill in curing it. Kind of random cut though ;) looking like a bias-cut.

the only knives which were advertised in the British angling press then – The Angling Times, Angler’s Mail, and Angling Telegraph – were Normark-branded EKA and Martinni folding and fixed blade knives.
Britain could have done a lot worse for fish knives.
Angler’s Knives often come much fancier than this modest model, they are very collectible
I've never seen even a picture of one of those. 30 quid in olden times?
This Kabar pen happened to catch my eye. About as random as I get.
EnQzG5Y.jpg

I love this thread!! The stories and discussion have some depth and interest!It's a pleasure to stop and read this thread!! I inadvertently joined the "random Tuesday Carry" by grabbing this Ericson to open my mail yesterday (so sharp it cut 4 pages into thirds, that fell out of the envelope like confetti!!:eek:) so it's randomly still in my pocket today, while I looked for (and finally found today) Old Boiley!!:rolleyes::D
View attachment 1278553 View attachment 1278554
I re-used the pictures! Ken Erickson sure knew how to sharpen a knife!! (At least it looks like the original edge!!??);) Nice knife in the pocket!!:thumbsup:

Great to see you join in Charlie, even inadvertently! :D That's a beautiful knife, but I am glad you have found Old Boiley :) :thumbsup:

Britain could have done a lot worse for fish knives.

I've never seen even a picture of one of those. 30 quid in olden times?
This Kabar pen happened to catch my eye. About as random as I get.
EnQzG5Y.jpg

I forgot that Ibberson included a Fish Knife in their 'Action Range'.

IfIDtfJ.jpg

However, bearing in mind that it was once, by far, Britain's most popular sport, particularly in Sheffield, where it was so popular the city's angler's had their own monthly newspaper, (as well as Britain's biggest fishing tackle shop), you'd think more Sheffield cutlers might have made an effort to produce a decent knife aimed at that market :rolleyes: Yes Jer, the Brookes & Crookes knives were £30 in 1890! :eek: Three interesting knives there my friend, I do like the fact that fishing knives commonly feature a bottle-opener :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 1278015
That John Petty & Sons is nice! It looks a whole lot like this William Rodgers that Jack sent me in that box o' knives. I haven't figured out how to tinker with it to make it carry-able, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.
wATB6PS.jpg

J0TXb8K.jpg

The small blade blocks the nick on the main. I can't lower the blade any more by filing the kick, and I hate to grind that much steel off the spine to drop the tips of the blades. On the other hand, it's not like the blades are pristine. :p If I give it a go, I'll carry it one of these Tuesdays.

Back