Jay Fisher's New Web Page on HT & Cryo

Jay, yes you stated it but I think the term is a moot point since electron microscopes are more available and have more features so more have them.

The term "shallow cryo" I wish would not be used because to me at least implies the formation of eta carbides .Without that it should be called by the old term "sub-zero" cooling .
You bring up some industrial factors which more often confuses the audience.That has been a problem I have after years of industrial work.

We have lots to learn about cryo and other HT factors .
Always treat each steel on it's own merits .Stick to just a few steels and experiment to learn their secrets.

Last edited:
Sorry ! Of course you mean shallow cryo. Fixed that . Thanks

Lu,
Please send me a short, direct email. I tried to email you, but BF just times out.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Quick thanks to Jay for all his time spent on his website educating customers as well as me, a new knife maker (garage guy for about a year now). I have geared up in the workshop quite a bit and am turning out improved 440C blades with each batch. Just stuff for my family and friends - I am not threat to the many wonderfully skilled craftsmen I see selling knives on the ole "interweb"! I am a civil engineer by schooling - which may be interpreted as a nerd - so I love the technical stuff, although 55 pages on heat treat and cryo did take me numerous sessions to read! Thanks again for sharing your decades of knowledge with our industry.

Back