Jerks who abuse HI warranty suck

tyr_shadowblade

Gold Member
NOTE: In my ignorance, I misunderstood the warranty and transcribed several paragraphs out of context. I apologize for the confusion and have deleted the section in question. A scan of the 2-page warranty appears later in this thread, twice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the past few months, several JERKS did willfully and blatantly abuse the unconditional HI warranty, so now it is history. Got this letter from Aunt Yangdu today, which reads in part:

"we offer the following non-transferable LIMITED WARRANTY to our customers. . . .
******************************************************************************************
******************************************************************************************
Misuse . . . will VOID ANY WARRANTIES expressed or implied. . . . Khukuri Knives such as ANGKOLA, CHIRUWA, BRITISH ARMY SERVICE, M-43, WW-II, GANGA RAM that were designed specifically for chopping or swinging at wood or vegetation may be covered under our LIMITED WARRANTY. . . . Once your shipment has been received, Himilayan Imports will evaluate your returned knife(s) to determine if it has been MISUSED or ABUSED."

Well, I suppose it was a matter of time. People who MISUSE or ABUSE the trust and good nature of their betters make me angry. It amounts to blackmailing and stealing from Aunt Yangdu.

I'm certain the famous HI warranty will continue to apply to loyal customers, but it is a shame that it had to come down to an actual legal contract. However, I think we can all agree it needed to be done.

Last edited:
I agree, that awesome warranty was what made up my mind when I decided to buy a HI blade over the much cheaper ones available elsewhere.

Yangdu had to do this to protect herself and the kamis, its just sad that there are a few jerks trying to take advantage of her generosity. I decided to buy from HI because of the great customer service and great warranty. Im sure that all will be fine with both.

Last edited:
Ya this is a total blow to their credibility! :thumbdn:

They'll loose more purcheses due to lack of good warrent then just repairing the miss used knives!

bad choice on their part...

A sad but no doubt necessary decision. :(

Another example of a few scum spoiling things for the majority. :mad:

Is this for real?

This sucks big time.

I have a feeling Yangdu will use proper judgment when applying this, but still.

Bunch of rotten pricks out there.

Man....This sucks!

But i guess it was just a matter of time before it happened, There are just too many fools out there that just can't seem to use proper judgement with their tools and expect others to pay for their mistakes. I can't tell you how many times in the last year i've read where someone has posted a thread and i've thought to myself " if it breaks on you, i wouldnt expect Yangdu to replace it.". These are tools after all and are not indestructable, you should be using proper judgement and due care when using them. In part i blame the 'knife tests" for this, as it skewed proper judgement into insane expectation.
Rat Finkenstein said:
Seriously?
Might as well say "our knives are crap, don't buy them."
On the Contrary, To me it shows that Yangdu stands behind her product and what has long been an unwritten rule is now written. You don't take a highly embellished khukuri, a kothimoda or any of the myriad other Display type pieces out into the field to chop thru whatever suits you and expect them to survive unscathed and be unquestionably replaced.
In short there are khuks made here for specific purposes and there are those that are for display. Buyers and users of this product will now be forced to use proper judgement,due care and have at least a modicum of respect when it comes to using them.

thesmokestack said:
I agree, that awesome warranty was what made up my mind when I decided to buy a HI blade over the much cheaper ones available elsewhere.
IMHO, it should have been the quality of product and service and testamonial that swayed you. The others may be somewhat cheaper(If you don't factor in shipping from Nepal), but you get what you pay for. I've seen some of the others pieces sold at retail price with rough or ill fitting hardware,cracks,rust,improper HT and forge inclusions. I've read where one person bought four khukuri in one shipment and these problems i mentioned were present on three of them.

Blood Grooves said:
Ya this is a total blow to their credibility!
They'll loose more purcheses due to lack of good warrent then just repairing the miss used knives!
bad choice on their part...
It is only a blow to the credibility of unscrupulous buyers. They will now have to prove their case instead of just expecting unquestioned replacement. H.I. may stand to lose a few sales over this, but in the long run, those who are "in the know" about khuks and use proper judgement will still be purchasing thru H.I..... Considering the circumstances, This is a necessary and good choice for Yangdu to have made. I stand behind her 100%.

Last edited:
Think for a minute.

Yangdu has to cover her own backside. Anyone would, especially against willful misuse.

Having dealt with her for years and NEVER been disappointed, I imagine that if you REALLY have a problem, she will look at it and see things your way.

She just has to have a warranty that covers Total Morons who never got past the toddler stage and insist on trying to break their toys.

And then come crying to Auntie to fix it.

On the Contrary, To me it shows that Yangdu stands behind her product and what has long been an unwritten rule is now written. You don't take a highly embellished khukuri, a kothimoda or any of the myriad other Display type pieces out into the field to chop thru whatever suits you and expect them to survive unscathed and unquestionably replaced.
In short there are khuks made here for specific purposes and there are those that are for display. Buyers and users of this product will now be forced to use proper judgement,due care and have at least a modicum of respect when it comes to using them.

Trouble is, it comes across exactly opposite of how you take it. Why not just state "This knife is a wall hanger, is not functional, and has no warranty" on the specific models?

Trouble is, it comes across exactly opposite of how you take it. Why not just state "This knife is a wall hanger, is not functional, and has no warranty" on the specific models?

In Yangdu's email to Tyr, She does just that.
The thing is, All H.I. khuks are "functional", just not Abuse Proof. It is up to the customer to use proper judgement and have reasonable expectation. I'm taking This to mean that Yangdu will be much more discerning on replacements in the future and that what was once a great thing has had to be limited due to the unreasonable expectation/abuse of trust of a few unscrupulous buyers.
Around here, you either get a piece of paper along with your khukuri expressing warranty or you don't. The ones that come with such papers are warranteeable and the others come with no warrantee. For example also, The DOTD sales... Blades that are labeled as "Blems" are noted as such and carry no warrantee, while ones that are not sold as blem stock are "discounts" and do carry a warrantee. No H.I. blade carries a warrantee that protects the owner from voiding it due to abuse.

Last edited:
For me buying from Tora would have been easier as they are based in the UK but HI had a cast iron - no questions asked - replacement policy. So I bought HI.

I think Rat has a point. It is just a shame that things have come to this.

. In part i blame the 'knife tests" for this, as it skewed proper judgement into insane expectation.

A very valid point.

Putting knives to tasks the were never intended to fulfill and withstand treatment that equals abuse seems to have become common place.

A case of monkey does, fool apes the monkey, blade breaks due to abuse, then fool expects replacement. :eek:

As a relative newcomer to HI, I have mixed feelings on this. First, I always thought the "no-nonsense, lifetime guarantee" and statement that "our khukuris are made for heavy use" were exceptional statements of utmost confidence in the products they produce and sell. I do not abuse my knives/tools by any stretch, and it was reassuring to know that if during the course of normal use something went bad, HI would take care of it (I still believe this, modified warranty or not :thumbup:). However, now that this statement comes out saying they are strictly for decoration unless otherwise specified seems to be sending a big signal that confidence has slipped in the quality of the product. I truly hope that is not the case and it was just a few bad apples trying to discredit the HI products and/or get a free one.

But, do we know for sure the exact circumstances of the returns? Were they ornamental pieces that broke or other more working-type knives? Does anyone know for sure that people were intentionally trying to break them? Perhaps there have been QC issues (power failures, unscrupulous kamis, etc.) at the plant and a few "lemons" have snuck through. Just playing devil's advocate here and hoping perhaps Aunty will chime in with a better explanation. I love my HI khuks and love to USE them. I also plan on getting more in the future, but want to be assured that the famous HI quality, beauty and toughness will continue to be in those users and that I am not just buying display items.

Back