Jerks who abuse HI warranty suck

That was a Noss test. He intentionally tests blades to destruction (or as close as he can get to destroying them) to see just how much they can take. Not to say that those are things that should be done.

Videos like that are a testament to the quality of HI blades and the ridiculousness of people who feel that type of test is necessary.

Videos like that are a testament to the quality of HI blades and the ridiculousness of people who feel that type of test is necessary.

I personally feel those types of tests are necessary. Destruction tests are common in a variety of products and while you may never use it to its limit, it's nice to know where that limit is.

Ferrari also does destruction tests on their cars, driving them like maniacs until something breaks.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Industrial "testing to destruction" is not done by "driving them like maniacs" but by driving at carefully calibrated speeds over a measured course, crashing them at known speeds into a barrier of carefully constructed durability. In other words, it is all precisely repeatable, a hallmark of scientific testing.

noss4 just whales away with no measured force or angle, and expects us to accept his word that he treats every company's products the same. I wouldn't buy a used car from a man like that.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Industrial "testing to destruction" is not done by "driving them like maniacs" but by driving at carefully calibrated speeds over a measured course, crashing them at known speeds into a barrier of carefully constructed durability. In other words, it is all precisely repeatable, a hallmark of scientific testing.

noss4 just whales away with no measured force or angle, and expects us to accept his word that he treats every company's products the same. I wouldn't buy a used car from a man like that.

Exactly:) I've been trying to convey this point for a few years now. At least Cliff Stamp had enough of a scientific mind to TRY and use measured force and angles. His science was still bad, but at least it was an effort.

Yeah, there's too many variables for a lot of these tests to be truly authoritative. And while a lot of folk were upset to see a 12" AK beaten on in this manner, I think it did pretty darn good considering that the kamis don't have access to all the whiz-bang industrial tools and supersteels used in some of the production blades reviewed.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

So you work for Ferrari or something. ? :rolleyes:

Here is a link to Ferrari Panamerican 20,000: Torture Test. Yes they drove them like maniacs at times.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=4702

:D

IIRC, I was exaggerating some, which no one seemed to get (I may've been drunk posting, as well). Mainly just, I don't see any need to baby an HI blade when using it, or to leave something unchopped just because it's in close proximity to a rock or something. I've yet to have incidental edge to rock/metal/concrete contact damage any of my HIs beyond my own ability to repair with the chakma and 5 minutes with sandpaper.

In any case though, the real warranty is basically unchanged.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWuGGsgfUnI

Yep, that's real hallmark of scientific testing right there. :cool:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Clearly, you don't know much about how testing is done. Sorry to burst your bubble, but scientific measurement when applied to things like cars and knives don't require perfect force measurements, nor hours in a lab number crunching.

Noss' test serve a basic function in showing what a person can expect from a knife. It isn't published in a journal stating, "This is how a production knife will always function, no matter what." Since we're dealing with a line of products and aren't constructing an airtight theory, perfect measurement of every single swing, stab, and bend are unnecessary.

Clearly, you don't know much about how testing is done. Sorry to burst your bubble, but scientific measurement when applied to things like cars and knives don't require perfect force measurements, nor hours in a lab number crunching.

Well, I happen to know quite a bit about industrial testing, having worked in the manufacturing and automotive industries for more than half of my life, and having been directly involved in Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement for most of that time.

Yes, you can say "I'm gonna hit this thing with a hammer and see if it breaks" and call that a "test", but how valuable will that "data" be? How much more could you learn about a product's material or system durability if you hit it in a specific place with a hammer of a measured weight, shape and length with consistent force and counted the number of hits it took to do a specific amount of damage? -And perhaps then changed each of the above variables one at a time and compared the results? THEN you would have an idea of how much "punishment" your product could take, and also be able to identify design or production flaws so they might be corrected.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the overwhelming majority of manufacturers who are interested in turning out a quality product approach their testing methods the way Esav describes them, not the way Noss does them.

I think the real statement that Noss' test of the AK is that all he was able to do was break the handle and bend the blade. If you do anything close to sane with these blades, you're not going to break them.

I think that's the most data that can be gleaned from the test.

**Sorry in advance for the long post, but I felt I needed to get my opinion across**

I think the real statement that Noss' test of the AK is that all he was able to do was break the handle and bend the blade. If you do anything close to sane with these blades, you're not going to break them.

I think that's the most data that can be gleaned from the test.

Definitely agreed. While it would be silly to claim Noss' test to be "scientific" by any meaning of the word, it is still a test and there is still information to be had from simply beating away at a knife.

While it bothers me to see such abuse put to something handmade and with so much tradition behind it (as opposed to the other simply mass produced knives he's tested), the knife WAS made for purchase by the kami. Once the kami has received the money for that knife, I don't see why WE should have any qualms with what the buyer does with the knife (so long as there is no attempt to abuse the warranty - which could certainly affect the rest of us).

Despite the unease I felt from seeing such high levels of abuse, I did feel that it served a purpose. Not only do I feel much more confident in my blade, but I know that viewers of the video out there will see how capable a blade it is and perhaps make a purchase!

Instead of posting negative responses to the test on youtube, why don't we all post about how Himilayan Imports makes a Chiruwa model which probably would not have succumbed to the same fate? Himilayan Imports was founded to help out the kamis back in Nepal, so why scare away potential customers?

The only thing I'll say about the testing, is that even after all that torture, he broke the handle off, he bent the knife, but he did NOT destroy the blade. looks like that knife passed a more stringent test than a Master's Blade to me ;)

and all that damage would not cripple the knife being fixed up in the field, and continue to be useful. back home, i imagine a clever person could actually fix that khukri back to new. that's pretty damn good imho.

and that's all i'm saying ;)

Bladite

Back