Jerks who abuse HI warranty suck

Excellent choice Doc. The warranty, as I understand it, will cover you. The CAK is a big heavy workin chopper. It's meant to be used in the manner you describe.

Thanks CRR, I have to admit, though, the OP gave me pause. I almost jumped on the one on the DOTD (I was there in time), but my Visa needs a bit of a transfusion, before I entertain those ideas.

Doc

the second I read the first post I thought "It can't be what he just said, because the statement contradicts itself. "only a collectors item" and "designed for chopping wood" don't go together. This is a context and grammatical incongruity - aka bad english."

obviously from the scanned pages it was much clearer then the initial paraphrasing.

any small company who says "we'll replace your blades regardless of how they're damaged" is opening themselves up to a lot of lost money and hassle from people who like loopholes and grifts. some bussiness is simply not worth it, and that kind of bussiness falls into that. you do what you have to do to keep your house afloat, and giving out free knives to people who want to chop concrete isn't a good way to do it (-as a small shop-).

paying rent is way more important that replacing a knife broken in that manner.

Last edited:
Thanks CRR, I have to admit, though, the OP gave me pause. I almost jumped on the one on the DOTD (I was there in time), but my Visa needs a bit of a transfusion, before I entertain those ideas.

Doc

Basically what it comes down to is this: If you do something stupid with your khuk, it doesn't get replaced. I can't imagine you doing something stupid with a knife, so there's nothing to worry about. HI makes the very best traditional khuks in the world, and it's not even close. Anything you get from them, provided you don't Nossify it, will give you many years of service.

Basically what it comes down to is this: If you do something stupid with your khuk, it doesn't get replaced. I can't imagine you doing something stupid with a knife, so there's nothing to worry about. HI makes the very best traditional khuks in the world, and it's not even close. Anything you get from them, provided you don't Nossify it, will give you many years of service.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, not entirely deserved :eek:.

I've looked around for awhile, and this seems to be THE place. I have to do my income tax yet (2008 and 2007 :eek: ) and I should be getting some money back, so I'll be watching what's happening.

Would there be a better choice as a chopper than an CAK? I was also thinking about a BAS.

Doc

I think maybe the only khukuri which could out chop an ang khola... would be a bigger ang khola.

;)

Thanks for your vote of confidence, not entirely deserved :eek:.

I've looked around for awhile, and this seems to be THE place. I have to do my income tax yet (2008 and 2007 :eek: ) and I should be getting some money back, so I'll be watching what's happening.

Would there be a better choice as a chopper than an CAK? I was also thinking about a BAS.

Doc

Doc, you'd be hard put to beat the 15in AK, villager or not, as a first khuk.

I most often carry a 12in villager AK...has a slightly longer handle than the regular 12incher.

Kis

OK, so help me out here, guys, as somebody who comes from another (sub) forum. I was interested in getting a Khuk down the road, because I believed it was pretty well as tough as they get.

The OP about the warranty, turned me off a bit (at first, I thought it was tongue in cheek :eek:). If I buy a khuk it will be for chopping wood (not bricks, concrete, etc.) From the limited amount of reading on this sub-forum, that I've done, I decided on a Chiruwa Ang Khola, maybe about 15.5 inches (like the one just on DOTD). I wanted wood scales with full tang. Having said that I wouldn't be chopping bricks, etc. I also wouldn't be babying it.

Is there any reason, why this wouldn't be a good choice? And if so, could I expect warranty coverage on anything that resulted from use as outlined above?

Doc

Doc, the original post misquoted the warranty. It totally distorted the policy. Read this for the actual document:

This is a scan of the warranty I was sent with the last package I received:

Page 1:
HI_Warranty_Page1.png

Page 2:
HI_Warranty_Page2.png

The entire Ang Khola line is as close to bullet-proof as a knife can be. Frankly, I think it's too tough (and heavy) for ordinary work. Massive. Looking through the different models on the DOTD, you can do a rough calculation of ounces per inch. The Ang Kholas are built for lumberjack level chopping. I believe they were warranteed for 2 replacements if you break one.

I don't know your environment but Canada generally might well need a khukuri of this weight. You could also consider somewhat lighter and more easily carried standards like the British Army Service.

Whichever you go for, you probably need a longer version of these heavy-duty models, rather than a slimmer model like the sirupati.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khuk1.html

I hope there isn't an unintentional outcome due to the pissants who caused the 'new' warrantee: the division of HI blades in two classes of chopping Khuk:

real choppers versus faux choppers ? :(

the second I read the first post I thought "It can't be what he just said, because the statement contradicts itself.

When I first read it, I thought someone was just trying to be funny, saying HI knives were for display only. I haven't even held my first one yet, and knew that was laughable. (tomorrow hopefully, YAY!)

Thankfully, the scans cleared up the confusion.

If the new warranty help protect Ms. Yangdu, the kamis, and HI, then I'm all for it.

--Chris

what a bunch of worry worts. over the last 10 years, a mere handful of blades have been broken through normal use... a HANDFUL. we're talking handmade, one off custom knives. pretty good record if you ask me.

plus, *as far as i know*, **everyone** of those broken blades has been replaced. yes?

can't beat that.

Bladite

I'm also glad this was cleared up and without Yangdu having to get into the fray.:thumbup: :cool:

I'm pretty damned sure that this is only the 2nd time the HI Warranty has been modified. The 1st time was when Uncle Bill was still with us and he put a stop to the H.I. Khukuris being warranted for life when any H.I. Khukuri was sold by the original owner and for the same reasons as well. When some unscrupulous person would buy a khukuri from anyone but H.I. they wouldn't necessarily know how to take care of their knife so when it got chipped or really nasty from poor maintenance they would use the vice and pry bar trick, break or badly bend the blade, and send it in for refund or replacement. :(
So nothing has changed basically, just good ol' Evolution in action in our ever changing world. :p ;) :D

I'm surprised this thread wasn't locked the second it came out the warranty was misquoted.

I'm surprised this thread wasn't locked the second it came out the warranty was misquoted.
No need to, the properly quoted part needs as much time and explanation as the mis-quoted part. Esav, In his Infinite wisdom, knows this.....and that our little heads would explode if he did so. :eek::rolleyes::D

It might be helpful to new visitors of the thread if the OP could edit his original post to include the scan of the actual warranty.

I recently had the opertunity to evaluate a kukri that was returned to Yangdu as deing deffective. The person who had this kukri used it hard for 10 years and then broke it. Yangdu replaced it. After I inspected it I had it evaluated by several knowlegable people and they came to the same conclusion. The blade was snapped by it being used like a pry bar. It was a clean brake caused by blade being forced to the side not from a choping motion. This is on kukri which should not have been replaced under warrenty!

Jim, I do have one bone of contention with this: the recommended testing procedure says to drive the point into a log and pry sideways to make were the heat treat is good. So, if one broke like that, would it not be warrantied, even though it's part of the test procedure? Or is the problem being that the kukri was so old, and THEN broken by prying? Or do you mean prying as in stuck in a vice, not a piece of wood and forced to break?

OK, so help me out here, guys, as somebody who comes from another (sub) forum. I was interested in getting a Khuk down the road, because I believed it was pretty well as tough as they get.

The OP about the warranty, turned me off a bit (at first, I thought it was tongue in cheek :eek:). If I buy a khuk it will be for chopping wood (not bricks, concrete, etc.) From the limited amount of reading on this sub-forum, that I've done, I decided on a Chiruwa Ang Khola, maybe about 15.5 inches (like the one just on DOTD). I wanted wood scales with full tang. Having said that I wouldn't be chopping bricks, etc. I also wouldn't be babying it.

Is there any reason, why this wouldn't be a good choice? And if so, could I expect warranty coverage on anything that resulted from use as outlined above?

Doc
DOC, the CAK is the mother of all choppers. It's the toughest kukri HI makes, bar none. My favorite kukri is a 20" CAK, and it's an absolute monster of a chopper.

I hope there isn't an unintentional outcome due to the pissants who caused the 'new' warrantee: the division of HI blades in two classes of chopping Khuk:

real choppers versus faux choppers ? :(

No, what it means is that is you go using something that wasn't designed for logging and break it chopping down a tree, it's not covered. There have been very ornate blades offered that are not intended for use like that. Also, the swords (to include the Kobra) were never warrantied for chopping. For instance, when I decided to chop down a small tree with my Tarwar (sword), I knew if I broke it that it would not be replaced under warranty. In fact, I had planned, if that happened (it didn't), to just not say anything at all about it and order a replacement.

Of the kukris I've seen pics posted of that broke, I saw maybe one that looked like a legit defect. And I don't remember seeing many broken kukris at all -- suspect or not.

It might be helpful to new visitors of the thread if the OP could edit his original post to include the scan of the actual warranty.

I agree, it was/is a huge disservice to HI.:rolleyes:

Its so simple, don't abuse anything you own and expect the manufacturer to warranty it... its common sense. The new HI warranty is for those without common sense.

Last edited:
None of this changes my opinion of HI at all... They're still the best. Great products build a reputation for themselves.

My next purchase will be a sirupate... I'll be using it like my 16.5" CAK, with common sense of course.

Back