Jerks who abuse HI warranty suck

That warranty sounds perfect for any rational, honest individual looking to get a good, hard-working khukuri. The terms clearly differentiate collector pieces from working blades. The way the original post was written, it made it sound like Aunty was calling ALL HI products display or collector pieces.

*PHEW*

As far as I'm concerned, questions answered. Discussion over.:thumbup:

Well, at least no one died over that little bit of transcription error. ;)

LOL.

It's basically the same warranty they've always had, just clarifying what is and is not covered. I think most of that was scattered throughout the HI website, but I doubt many people actually read all of the descriptions there anymore.

Still, she shouldn't have had to have done this, but for a few morons.

No bashing was meant, sorry Esav. I just dont care for that warranty change, next time I wont bring another company into the mix.

Absolutely unacceptable to bash another manufacturer's product in its own subforum. What were you thinkiing?

Thanks! (As usual!) :D

Please re-read Steely_Gunz's post above. Do not insult other members or their choice in bladecraft. It does not make your house more beautiful to burn your neighbor's house down.

One poster's error in courtesy does not justify a response in kind !!!

Read the FAQ, I mean it.

Yeah, you are totally new around here. You exaggerated the comment beyond belief, and started personally attacking me, which was kinda uncalled for.

I would rather have a soulless knife, than a warranty-less knife. ;)

So yea, I am totally new around here. My black blade villager by Sgt is still being shipped and I can't wait to get it. I would say the fact that the old idealistic HI warranty lasted as long as it did is a testament to their dedication to standing behind their blades. If after all this time HI decides to update the warranty to account for a few shady characters, who is this guy to make an outright disgusting and ignorant comment such as this. Using this discussion forum to simultaneously spread ignorant bullshit and pimp your incredibly expensive and soulless blades is just about as low as low gets. I'll just finish by saying that you, Gerber are a low and pathetic form of life along the lines of the kind of people who abused the HI policy.

If HI Khuks are only meant to be wall-hangers, why not just buy a cheap piece of garbage that looks nice? No need to pay HI dollar for a knife you can't use, right?

Oh man, I wish someone woulda told me my Samsher was a wall hanger before cutting down all those trees with it. :(

And lately I've been wailing away with my Bonecutter... d'oh! :D

But as a comic, in all seriousness, thanks to smoke-n-mirrors for posting the actual current warranty. It may indeed, as some have speculated here, prove a deterrent to folk who expect unconditional warranty coverage if they take their CAK and try to send the Rock of Gibraltar crashing into the Mediterranean with it. Not going to make a difference to a lot of us... personally I've never had to take Yangdu up on the warranty, and I got most of mine back when the previous warranty was in effect.

Sad to see this one come down the pipe. The a-holes who are abusing the warranty will get theirs. Such things always come around in the end.

Two things have kept people from trying this scam with Busses. One is the price, which typically remains high even on older used knives. Also, since Busse makes knives in batches, the company usually won't/can't replace with a similar knife as HI has done in the past. Instead, you are issued a credit in the amount of the original retail price, which can be applied to a new model.

Doesn't it stink how the few bad apples screw up the whole barrel?

I may've misread or misunderstood the warranty. I'm glad the warranty is finally available online for everyone to see.

I apologize for any confusion.

Yeah, my buddy got that same packet when he ordered a few khukris over a month ago. This nothing new. Huge false alarm.

Very well said. +1 :thumbup:

Sad to see this one come down the pipe. The a-holes who are abusing the warranty will get theirs. Such things always come around in the end.

Two things have kept people from trying this scam with Busses. One is the price, which typically remains high even on older used knives. Also, since Busse makes knives in batches, the company usually won't/can't replace with a similar knife as HI has done in the past. Instead, you are issued a credit in the amount of the original retail price, which can be applied to a new model.

Doesn't it stink how the few bad apples screw up the whole barrel?

Ah, the actual warranty document! Looks good to me. Smart business decision. I wish HI a long and prosperous future.

First of all, I wasn't trolling for lulz. It was not my intent to offend anyone but Gerber. That last post was my genuine reaction to his post. I guess he could have been trolling and I fell for it (doh!). Reading what I just wrote, the bit about Busse being overpriced and soulless was uncalled for, but I would say my lashing out was directed more towards gerber the individual than the brand we was repping. I guess I just added the bit about Busse because it seems absurd to me to compare the two companies and their warranties. I mean, to take a company like Busse which makes their blades in "a very modernized and highly automated production facility" then comparing it to a company like HI, whose blades are generally made by one guy and his assistant(s) who spent hours and hours in a smallish room with only the most basic of tools crafting a hand made work of art, such a comparison seems audacious at best. I guess soulless just struck me as an apt description of something made on and assembly line, high quality or not.

My brother (a philosophy grad) once told me of a saying from Jewish/rabbinical culture: "Always consider everything three times, before you say it." I've found a lot of truth in this, especially on the Internet. As a result, when I'm mad, I usually save my message/post/email as a draft, and re-write it later. I hope that idea helps.

Im not real sure how to start as I really don't want to cause a lot of contriversy here in the HI community but I need to get this off my chest.
I recently had the opertunity to evaluate a kukri that was returned to Yangdu as deing deffective. The person who had this kukri used it hard for 10 years and then broke it. Yangdu replaced it. After I inspected it I had it evaluated by several knowlegable people and they came to the same conclusion. The blade was snapped by it being used like a pry bar. It was a clean brake caused by blade being forced to the side not from a choping motion. This is on kukri which should not have been replaced under warrenty!
I have only seen two blades that were snapped of at the handles and they came from the same person.
I have other kukri which were returned for replacement which Yongda honered. I removed the nicks and chips and resharpened these blades and gave them to some other folks to use. They are working fine with no problems. Munk has had the same results with damaged kukri that he got from uncle Bill.
Most of the problems are the results of operator erra. Lack of knowledge on how to use a kukri, using the wrong style of kukri for the for the task they want to do and some just plane old fasion abuse.
We in the HI community understand just how hard the kami's work to produce the best kukri's comming out of Nepal. They take pride in their work and dont ask for handouts. I just wish there were more people like them. Honest and hardworking.
The profet that HI makes on the sale of a kukri is very small. When you consider all the cost invalved just to get a kukri into your hands. Cost of materials, Transportation cost to air port, DSl cost to ship to US, Custom duty charges, Kami's wages and Yangdu's cost to ship priority mail to you the end user. All of these cost are included in the final cost of your kukri.
The returning of a kukri for replacemet can eat up some of the slim profit made by HI which is desperately needed to keep them going.
If it a honest defect by all means contact Yangdu and explain the problems. Dont complain on the fourm before talking to her.
Yangdu is a honest person and trust the HI community. Lets us as a community try and keep her faith us.
If you have a a problem with a kukri and need it resharpened I feel confident that if you ask for help somebody on the fourm would be more than glad to help you.
Enough of my rant. I hope that this it taken in the contex that it is ment. If I offended anybody I appoligize. We all want to help Kami's and Yangdu.

Jim

I don't think you'd offend anyone with that statement, jim......
It was very well spoken.

Yangdu and the folks at H.I. have always been a pleasure to deal with. I have no apprehension using a khuk the way it is meant to be used, because I know H.I. stands behind their products. There is a reason they are the best.

If I ever somehow manage to break an H.I. knife through normal, non-destructive use I will take these steps in the following order:

1. Immediately call Auntie and order a replacement of whatever I broke and pay for it like a man.

2. Figure out how I managed to break my knife and NEVER DO IT THAT WAY AGAIN.

3. Resign myself to the agonizing 2-4 day wait for my new knife to come in the mail.

4. Grin like a monkey on crack when the package arrives and makes a short trip to the backyard for a "quality check"

5. Repeat, if necessary.

These knives are terrible.
I mean, when I stabbed my M43 and Sirupati through a dryer, the tips got a little dull. Talk about defective!!!

And the CS is rancid. Once, when I sent Yangdu an e-mail, she didn't get back to me later that day. I had to wait till the next day. I mean, how careless and neglectful is that?

The only customer service I've ever seen that's as good as Yangdu is when my friend got a phone call from Ernie Emerson to discuss a CQC-8 with a bad linerlock.
And whatever Sher kami did to my knives borders on magical. Just knowing people are shafting the kamis makes me wanna sell my K31 and use the money to buy khukris. And give Yangdu a hug.

OK, so help me out here, guys, as somebody who comes from another (sub) forum. I was interested in getting a Khuk down the road, because I believed it was pretty well as tough as they get.

The OP about the warranty, turned me off a bit (at first, I thought it was tongue in cheek :eek:). If I buy a khuk it will be for chopping wood (not bricks, concrete, etc.) From the limited amount of reading on this sub-forum, that I've done, I decided on a Chiruwa Ang Khola, maybe about 15.5 inches (like the one just on DOTD). I wanted wood scales with full tang. Having said that I wouldn't be chopping bricks, etc. I also wouldn't be babying it.

Is there any reason, why this wouldn't be a good choice? And if so, could I expect warranty coverage on anything that resulted from use as outlined above?

Doc

Back