Jfowl31's knife modding/making progression thread

Thanks guys. The work lately has been slow learning new things, but very rewarding. Jigging bone and micarta will be a fun new thing to add to the repertoire!

More slow progress... I ground 2 more fixed blades for a couple good friends. Both in O1 and both based on Bret Dowell patterns. A Bird and Trout with Bocote and an EDC model with some vintage Micarta. I was very pleased with both of them!

8NAAFPu.jpg

s7m7XKO.jpg

TjNivyT.jpg

SlSJRmm.jpg

Worked on a few slipjoints too. Did a Blade delete on a 44 mag, refurbed a Soda Scout with a new blade (original had the kick ground so far it was resting on the lanyard tube), created a Lincoln Beerlow, and made a pretty sweet user shop knife out of some leftover parts. Not a bad month all-in-all really.

Xe1d0s2.jpg

owcDkpV.jpg

LTwrH0h.jpg

Ol28wkE.jpg

DySolg8.jpg

P7VLtaI.jpg

5F90yhq.jpg

It's been a while... Between work obligations and the heat here, and just kind of losing interest, working in the shop hasn't been high on the priority list. But as the summer winds down, I'm getting an itch to get back into the shop and get back to work! Here's a couple I worked on this week and an older mod that I traded back into because I missed it. It was one of my top 2 favorites and I'm incredibly happy to have it back!

First is a TC with a stainless blade and spring with some old paper Micarta covers. I'm calling this material "Westy Mammoth" for obvious reasons.

VWKKPz4.jpg

yewJoZl.jpg

rbMb04o.jpg

Next is a bullnose in muslin Micarta that got put on a diet. I love how these turn out without having to completely tear them apart.

3gdltCm.jpg

H3kPfgG.jpg

dyZAPZH.jpg

Then there's the O1 bullnose from a few pages back. It's dressed in red stag that I cut from rounds and dyed with potassium permanganate. Really stoked to have this in my pocket right now!

mNM61gk.jpg

FsJEZk7.jpg

Bought this on the exchange, what a lovely piece. The Culpepper amber sawcut bone is the bees knees and your mod into a Beerlow is first rate. GREATLY Appreciated!!

upload_2019-10-24_16-51-8-jpeg.1219246

I do like that one! I scored more of that amber sawcut and some bourbon dyed sawcut that I'll be putting on a couple here soon. Just have to manage to find some shop time between work, family, deer season, and now we're moving to a bigger house! Good news is I'll get to double the size of the shop and spread out some once I get settled in.

Long overdue update for all you old friends. A few years ago, we moved into a new house and the shop never really got going again. I did 1 mod at the new house (and it was a doozie) and everything just started to rust in the central Texas heat and humidity.

I've sold off most of my tools and spare parts and even most of my scale materials to a modder who lives about an hour away from me. He's fairly new to this world but he's doing awesome work already!

I love seeing photos of how some of these mods aged, so feel free to post them if you have them, but there won't be any updates from me unless somehow I manage to start finding time to rebuild everything again...

Thanks to everyone for your support over the years!

Long overdue update for all you old friends. A few years ago, we moved into a new house and the shop never really got going again. I did 1 mod at the new house (and it was a doozie) and everything just started to rust in the central Texas heat and humidity.

I've sold off most of my tools and spare parts and even most of my scale materials to a modder who lives about an hour away from me. He's fairly new to this world but he's doing awesome work already!

I love seeing photos of how some of these mods aged, so feel free to post them if you have them, but there won't be any updates from me unless somehow I manage to start finding time to rebuild everything again...

I'm a little bummed to hear you are out of the hobby (for now), but I sure appreciate you sharing your work with us over the last few years. I don't still have the modded ancient barlow I bought from you, but it was an excellent example of your talent.

Your new padawan is doing some fantastic work! Proud to say you are one of my true mentors and teachers in the game. May not be where I'm at now, certainly this quickly without your early guidance.

Your new padawan is doing some fantastic work! Proud to say you are one of my true mentors and teachers in the game. May not be where I'm at now, certainly this quickly without your early guidance.
That's high praise homie! All I did was pass on what was taught to me the same way by other modders and makers. What you've done with those tips and tricks is ALL YOU! I wish I could take credit for the killer stuff you are putting out lmao.

And I agree, David is taking on challenges faster than I ever did and absolutely killing it. He's just an hour down the road, so hopefully I'll get to play around in his shop one of these days.

That's high praise homie! All I did was pass on what was taught to me the same way by other modders and makers. What you've done with those tips and tricks is ALL YOU! I wish I could take credit for the killer stuff you are putting out lmao.

And I agree, David is taking on challenges faster than I ever did and absolutely killing it. He's just an hour down the road, so hopefully I'll get to play around in his shop one of these days.
I'll never forget, Jordan says "2x72 is a game changer". I buy a 2x72 and sure enough, game is changed. Lol. Take care brother. Good to hear from you on the knife webs!

Obviously, we don't know what your situation is, but I for one hope that you are happy with your life now!

I moved a few years ago, helped grow a family, etc. Don't have time for all of my old hobbies, or new ones for that matter, but wouldn't trade it for the world. Glad to hear that the tools and materials are being used again.

Hope you are doing well!!

Sorry to see this, as I was a big fan of your work!

Kind of disappointed to hear that you've decided to move away from modding etc. Clearly, you've got good reasons but you did a lot of really interesting and attractive work, creative ingenuity. It's a loss for us 'voyeurs' on the sidelines..

Still, you can always come back, skill's something you are born with, you just have to give it exercise :cool:

Regards, Will

I have two 81's with spear deletes from you. They are a pleasure to carry. That was the first mod work I ever commissioned.

Back