jungle boots?

figured I'd post here (maybe Jeff and/or Mike could pipe in)

currently looking at Altama (non steel shanked)- probably Panama sole??

OTB jungle lite- appealing as they are pretty light w/ a Panama style sole, they also have a neat looking insole (w/ drain holes in it)

Gamont T8 jungle boots- these get good reviews, just like the above ones

my only experience w/ jungle boots is the old military (Vietnam) issue ones- wasn't overly impressed w/ them when I had a pair

others?

tia

Ive been looking at the altama and otb's also. Ive had good experience with other altama boots in the past, but im liking the way the otbs look and the insolea as you mentioned. I hope to see some good input for these also as it will help in my decision also.

I've had the Altama tan 3LC for 2 years now and love them. But thats just me.

OTB jungle lite- appealing as they are pretty light w/ a Panama style sole, they also have a neat looking insole (w/ drain holes in it)

my only experience w/ jungle boots is the old military (Vietnam) issue ones- wasn't overly impressed w/ them when I had a pair

others?

tia

Here's a link to a thread.

Made me take a look at Altama's not particularly at their jungle boots but I have been using a pair of their Panamocs.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679945&highlight=altama

I wore the Garmont T8 for 2 tours in Iraq, good boot but lately the quality control seems to be slipping. I've heard nothing but good things about OTB. The regular Vietnam boot, the issue one; I've logged more miles in those than I care to say. They can be made to be pretty comfortable if you have the time and willpower.

^ I've heard really good things about the T8- mostly from folks using them in drier climes-haven't heard much feedback w/ them in wet- qc slipping probably not a good sign :(

I've also seen a lot of favorable reviews on the OTB's, again most of those have been from folks in drier climes as well

I went through plenty of those things in the Marine Corps, but they are a great boot for most enviroments. Go with the Altamas and you won't be unhappy in the least bit. I have never tried the OTB's, but Jeff tried them in Peru and hated them. The Altamas are light, comfy, and drain well.

Looks like my mind is made up from the comments ill be going back to my tried and true altamas.

Whatever you do, don't ever buy tactical boots such as 5.11, Lowe, Magnum or alike for wet-areas. Get real deal hiking boots suited for the environment that you intend to visit. Tactical boots aren't worth anything when the SHTF. They're tactical, meaning that they're suited for short-term ops, such as the kind of stuff a cop would do or something along those lines. Basically, tactical boots are just sneakers on steroids and not real outdoor boots. Don't be fooled!

I got a pair of the 3LC Altama jungle boots last week and the quality was top notch as far as I could tell. They were too big so I sent them back for another pair. One thing I did notice is that the sole was very stiff, so I hope I can loosen up my new pair over the next month before I take them camping.

I would go with the regular GI jungle boots. They take some effort to break in but will last longer. If you can try to find a pair of "new old stock" - these are new boots made back in the 1980's and early 1990's. The jungle boots were made much better back then in my opinion. There are a few places that have a small stock of the new old stock and they come across e-bay every so often. They cost about the same as the new manufactured ones but the quality of manufacture is dramatic if you get the chance to compare a pair side by side.

Here are two places I know of that sell new old stock jungle boots:

http://www.omahas.com/

http://fullmetaljacket.com/catalog/index.php

Altama, panama sole. Do not use OTB in the rainforest/jungle. The drain ports need to be metal like the Altama-- not the fabric ones like OTB. Jeff received a nice blck palm thorn in his foot through the drain port on the OTB's which would not have happend on the Altama boots. Also the sole pattern on the OTB boots collects mud and sand and doesn't shed it like the panama sole pattern. BEware that there are cheaper copys of the Altama boots that are made in Korea and will fall apart walking to your mail box and back. They will fail on you in the bush. Stitching comes apart, soles peel off, etc.. I don't have any experience with the Garmont boots.

And for anyone going to tropical environments who need a mosquito net buy a nylon, light weight one online or local store in the states . The local ones you find in South America and other tropical countries are usually made of white heavy cotten. While they do work you will die of a heat stroke in one:) They allow little to no ventilation of air through them like the 'no-see-um' meash made of nylon.

i prefer the danner acadias light weight breathable and gortex perfect boot for what your wanting

The Altimas are quite adequate, I own 2 pair, one in desert tan the other in black. You can find them on eBay for practically nothing.

For the money you save on boots, get a couple dozen pair of quality socks to wear with them. If I've observed anything, boots are important, but the socks wicking off the sweat, water seepage and grime are just as important.

Good luck.

-E

I have to agree with Mike here. The Altamas are the only way to go. They are the only manufacturer making a boot to the original spec of the original jungle boot. I've owned LOTS of boots, and for a wet environment, they are the absolute best.

BTW, if it were me, I would opt for the steel shank, just for the added protection to the sole.

thanks gents! :)

? on the steel shank- any impact on comfort? prone to break or rust? I know they spec'd them in the military boot to protect from traps and the like- would you still be at risk w/ nature's stuff w/o steel shanks?

I'd have to disagree w/ the Gortex suggestion though, great in certain environments, but wet jungle not being one of them- they don't breath well and more importantly they will eventually wet through and then they take a long (long) time to dry- you want something that drains and dries quickly, because your boots/feet will get wet- it's inevitable

I agree quality socks are a must, I've been using Darn Tough merino socks for the last 2-3 years after trying dozens of different styles/brands. I don't see myself going to any other sock (they make a wide variety of styles, but all are merino or merino blend).

others?

tia

Altama hands down I own 1 pr that I never swapped out in Iraq. My issue boots were a 10.5W, I needed a 8R. Best out of pocket expense I made.

Back