Just a Picture:

Proudly presenting my latest snag!

KXdxxrq.jpg

VqJLPW2.jpg

fMCgqz0.jpg
Nice snag:thumbsup:

No problem about pics, any would be nice, but I even like to hear how you have used them.....when you can. So no rush, only when you have an adventure or just use it for EDC. :D
Well, I have no EDC pictures of my Toboggan. My daily knife use is rather mundane, and unlike so many people today, I don't interrupt my daily activities to document them in a photo. But I will go out with the intent of photographing something...

My hickory trees are already full of nuts. After a recent rain, one limb had all the weight it could take, split off the trunk, and came crashing down to the ground. I decided to use some of this material to try making a set of bushcraft tongs, and I wanted to use my Toboggan to do it. Since I'd be sawing small diameter branches, I also wanted to use my SAK Handyman. So, here's what I started with:

50076648352_3cdee1d743_c.jpg

A straighter stick without any knots would have been better, but this particular limb was especially gnarled and didn't give me much to work with, so I thought I would give this one a try anyway.

I wasn't satisfied with the way this stick split, and cut another from a recently trimmed redbud tree. While it split much more evenly, the stick was too thick or maybe redbud isn't a good wood for this purpose, but squeezing the tongs required a highly developed kung fu grip. I spent a good deal of time reducing the thickness of the wood and creating notches intended to give more bend at that specific spot. All this effort helped but still did not result in very useful tongs. While this provided more time with the Toboggan, I ultimately abandoned the redbud tongs and went back to the hickory.

50078002573_e329e7f84a_c.jpg

The Toboggan performed flawlessly. It felt very natural in the hand and nothing about the knife drew my attention to it while working with it. That is to say, I felt nothing even the slightest bit uncomfortable from the knife the entire time I was making the tongs. I believe this to be a positive observation as anything else would distract from the task at hand. To be honest, I think every Fiddleback knife I've worked with has exhibited this quality of neutrality.

The Toboggan has plenty of handle for various holds but not so much that any unused part gets in the way or makes handling the knife clumsy.

50075832833_f9fc7e2ec5_c.jpg

Well, I have no EDC pictures of my Toboggan. My daily knife use is rather mundane, and unlike so many people today, I don't interrupt my daily activities to document them in a photo. But I will go out with the intent of photographing something...

My hickory trees are already full of nuts. After a recent rain, one limb had all the weight it could take, split off the trunk, and came crashing down to the ground. I decided to use some of this material to try making a set of bushcraft tongs, and I wanted to use my Toboggan to do it. Since I'd be sawing small diameter branches, I also wanted to use my SAK Handyman. So, here's what I started with:

50076648352_3cdee1d743_c.jpg

A straighter stick without any knots would have been better, but this particular limb was especially gnarled and didn't give me much to work with, so I thought I would give this one a try anyway.

I wasn't satisfied with the way this stick split, and cut another from a recently trimmed redbud tree. While it split much more evenly, the stick was too thick or maybe redbud isn't a good wood for this purpose, but squeezing the tongs required a highly developed kung fu grip. I spent a good deal of time reducing the thickness of the wood and creating notches intended to give more bend at that specific spot. All this effort helped but still did not result in very useful tongs. While this provided more time with the Toboggan, I ultimately abandoned the redbud tongs and went back to the hickory.

50078002573_e329e7f84a_c.jpg

The Toboggan performed flawlessly. It felt very natural in the hand and nothing about the knife drew my attention to it while working with it. That is to say, I felt nothing even the slightest bit uncomfortable from the knife the entire time I was making the tongs. I believe this to be a positive observation as anything else would distract from the task at hand. To be honest, I think every Fiddleback knife I've worked with has exhibited this quality of neutrality.

The Toboggan has plenty of handle for various holds but not so much that any unused part gets in the way or makes handling the knife clumsy.

50075832833_f9fc7e2ec5_c.jpg
R RobbieB you need to bring this one to Trackrock as a gift for me.

Back