Just shaved my face with a Paramilitary 2....

I would be too scared of the pointy tip and poking myself in the eye. That's why I went for the GB. I know, it's all in the mind. :D

I stabbed myself in the head one time while using the sharpmaker...top that!! My forehead was itching and I absentmindedly scratched it without bothering to but the knife down. :rolleyes:

Pics or it didn't happen you say??? :p

I stabbed myself in the head one time while using the sharpmaker...top that!! My forehead was itching and I absentmindedly scratched it without bothering to but the knife down. :rolleyes:

Pics or it didn't happen you say??? :p

I'm glad your eye wasn't itching. :eek:
I've a few close calls myself; with itches; when I have been cleaning my knives.

Last edited:
Anyone experience the delayed bleeding effect from a very sharp knife? Its happened several times, I'll nick a finger, it won't be bleeding so I figure it must be a shallow cut, and a couple minutes later blood is dripping down my hand.

Truth be told, It actually worked better in some places than a cartridge or electric razor. more control.

Ah, the first glimmers of the cutthroat bug. Nothing offers fine control like a straight razor. When I had mutton chops, people would marvel at how I got the edges so crisp. With a steady hand and good eyes, you can cut individual hairs with one.

I highly recommend you look into it.

09336097f8c1c24cb242e6646f0f8267.jpg

Sorry guys but you gotta use the right tool for the job (at least use a wharncliffe!). Here's my favorite. It's by another great Made in the USA company called Hart Steel.

Once your start using double edged razors or Straights you will never go back to cartridges.

Oh my. That is a very pretty razor.

Thanks! Hart Steel and Portland Razor Company websites are dangerous places to visit...

Hey Sal,
Do you still use a straight razor? If so, what kind? Ever think about making one with a round hole on it? If buy one, just saying...

I stopped using a straight razor about 15 years ago when my eyes became more of a challenge. We've thought of making a straight razor and have even had some interesting submissions, but at this time it'still "just a thought".

sal

I hope that becomes more than a thought someday.

A cutthroat with a SpyderHole...

Anyone experience the delayed bleeding effect from a very sharp knife? Its happened several times, I'll nick a finger, it won't be bleeding so I figure it must be a shallow cut, and a couple minutes later blood is dripping down my hand.

This'n. Took about 45 seconds before it opened the floodgates. I knew it was bad from the start, as I could see muscle moving when I clenched my fist. Courtesy of a very sharp SAK

Funny story Sal and especially the response you got.
As I read the posts I have to ask...why? My safety razor is painless. I have never lathered up to use a knife. Again I would ask...why? I have patches of hair missing on my right arm testing sharpness, but the time (without lather) I tested my face I immediately rejected that option.

a 50 cent razor designed for shaving will work better than any folding knife and much safer

remember, if you mess up, you're getting a big scar on your face and a trip cost hundreds if not thousands of $$$ to the emergency room

remember, if you mess up, you're getting a big scar on your face

*shrug* that's not an argument against doing something. If you mess up driving you can kill yourself and/or others. That's why you do it carefully and pay attention.

Life is risk.

09336097f8c1c24cb242e6646f0f8267.jpg

Sorry guys but you gotta use the right tool for the job (at least use a wharncliffe!). Here's my favorite. It's by another great Made in the USA company called Hart Steel.

Once your start using double edged razors or Straights you will never go back to cartridges.
I always thought a wharnecliffe type point was just plain dangerous for shaving, don't understand why they all didn't have rounded points.

I noticed that I missed a spot with my straight razor today during work, so I used my GEC TC Barlow to shave the offending area. Gotta love some smooth 1095.

a 50 cent razor designed for shaving will work better than any folding knife and much safer

remember, if you mess up, you're getting a big scar on your face and a trip cost hundreds if not thousands of $$$ to the emergency room

Don't we all like to to live on the edge? :D

Back