Just shaved my face with a Paramilitary 2....

[video=youtube;5XcKBmdfpWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs[/video]

Zieg

I stabbed myself in the head one time while using the sharpmaker...top that!! My forehead was itching and I absentmindedly scratched it without bothering to but the knife down. :rolleyes:

Pics or it didn't happen you say??? :p

I'd be sympathetic if it wan't so doggone funny:D.

I stopped using a straight razor about 15 years ago when my eyes became more of a challenge. We've thought of making a straight razor and have even had some interesting submissions, but at this time it'still "just a thought".

sal

Thanks for the response! I'm sorry to hear that you had to stop, but I understand the vital need to be able to see what you are doing.

In general the wet shaving world and straight razor shaving seems to be getting much more popular and I think there would definitely be a market for a straight razor with a round hole. It would probably bring knife people into straight shaving and straight shavers into Spyderco!

Thanks for all that you do.

I'm late to the party.....but that is tooo funny Sal (respectfully), I have had some issues learning how to put a edge on S30V but completely love the edge it will hold with little maintenance. I also was attacked by by mothers cat trying to remove her from under the bed, in hind sight I should have just used a hot ice pick and been done with her! JK.

Box cutter, last month, saw the bone, tissue and muscles moving. Twenty seconds later the floor was painted red, and I was trying to open one-handed my first aid kit.

20150725_205054_zpsfbghjhpo.jpg

Stabbed to the bone, 4 cm (1 3/4 inches) deep wound. Bled after a too long to be comfortable minute of panic.

DSC02229_zpsbhlbiqs4.jpg

I almost lop off my index finger sharpening a machete. Bled ten seconds after taking the pic (why'd I take a pic before rushing to the first aid kit?...)

DSC06345_zpspp9vgqlb.jpg

Aaaand, the worst of them. Stabbed 6 cm (little more than 2 inches) deep into my belly. It didn't bleed until I took out the knife blade myself. Crap that vision will never go off my mind. It was another almost entire minute of frenzied actions.

DSC06937_zpswwha7wu7.jpg

Sooooo, I guess the answer is: Yes, I do experience it. Quite frequently, unfortunately...:)

Box cutter, last month, saw the bone, tissue and muscles moving. Twenty seconds later the floor was painted red, and I was trying to open one-handed my first aid kit.

Stabbed to the bone, 4 cm (1 3/4 inches) deep wound. Bled after a too long to be comfortable minute of panic.

I almost lop off my index finger sharpening a machete. Bled ten seconds after taking the pic (why'd I take a pic before rushing to the first aid kit?...)

Aaaand, the worst of them. Stabbed 6 cm (little more than 2 inches) deep into my belly. It didn't bleed until I took out the knife blade myself. Crap that vision will never go off my mind. It was another almost entire minute of frenzied actions.

Sooooo, I guess the answer is: Yes, I do experience it. Quite frequently, unfortunately...:)

Hmmm? Maybe you should consider another hobby/sport. One that's a little safer for you like; skydiving with an umbrella or bungee jumping with dental floss.:rolleyes:

Whoa, Peacent, you gotta slow the F down, man. A slice on a finger is one thing, but puncture wounds are srs bsns. Toxic shock is a terrible way to die, and it doesn't take much.

If you managed to stab yourself in the belly, you really need to reconsider the way you use blades. A cut to the bone or a puncture to the abdominal wall doesn't happen unless you're doing something very wrong.

Last edited:
f8813bc0f888392fefc9efbc33c9fbb3.jpg

Used 2000 grit automotive sandpaper before stropping this time. Definately sharper. But irritated my skin a bit. Didn't strop nearly as much probably why

As someone mentioned, S30V's carbides are just too big and toothy to get the clean edge you need for a good shave. Imagine trying to bring a slab of concrete to a razor edge; no matter how fine an abrasive you use, it's still gonna be toothy. :p

That's why S30V has a reputation for being such a wicked slicer, and why most straight razors are made of high carbon.

Technically I think diamond stones should slice the carbides as easily as they do steel. But since I finished on sandpaper I do intend to try it with vg10 or something that polishes easier though.

I'm not sure If 2k sandpaper finish is equivalent to a 2k waterstone. The finish it left was a hazy mirror.

Or unless its other else's fault. True, though.

I've changed my knife handling habits since then, guys. Knife lessons are asily learned, especially when painful.
Thanks for your comments, anyway!

Use the right tool for the job. Otherwise you are a fool.

What about guys who bow hunt? A .270 is more efficient. What about fishing from my kayak? A motor would carry me further and faster and I would catch more fish. Hard to believe that makes me a fool though since I am having such an incredibly good time every day. If it does then I suppose I'm a happy fool at least. :) Just saying...maybe that is a bit too harsh a term for an aficionado who simply takes pleasure from using a more primitive, though less efficient, tool to accomplish a mundane task.

What about guys who bow hunt? A .270 is more efficient. What about fishing from my kayak? A motor would carry me further and faster and I would catch more fish. Hard to believe that makes me a fool though since I am having such an incredibly good time every day. If it does then I suppose I'm a happy fool at least. :) Just saying...maybe that is a bit too harsh a term for an aficionado who simply takes pleasure from using a more primitive, though less efficient, tool to accomplish a mundane task.

I guess motocrossers are fools. You see they grab air with bikes instead of planes....:D

Back