KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

It's a champ at batoning. I wailed like hell on that thing all weekend and was able to push it through some pretty tricky stuff. I was working on my technique a bit, and this was a good knife to use because the blade does different stuff at different points between guard and tip. Lots to practice and experiment with. I had also read a thread somewhere on BF, the usual "people that use knives on wood are dumb hurf durf use an axe" stuff, but there were some interesting posts on wedges, so I experimented with them too. Very useful technique to start using, especially when it comes to knots. That video of the dude chipping out the CS leatherneck really got me thinking about how I need to learn some better technique and learn about proper blade selection. Plus I was thinking about how Toooj would have done all this with his SAK.

I also did some fine work, splitting little chunks of dry pine for starter kindling and up close to the guard it's pretty steerable. Then of course there was the sweet, sweet chopping. I'm not kidding when I say I love the Cutlass. I can tell you that on my next backpacking trip that will require any wood work, 99% chance this knife plus a necker/nessmuk/*** will be going along.

Only the little block came from my cabin. When I bought the pecan at my local place, I picked up one of their bigass stumps for $15 too. I've got a big, big pine that I'll be pulling down up at my place sometime soon though, so perhaps within a month or two I'll have a real man's stump. At that point I'll mail you this one, Guyon, I've got your address now.

Sweet man, thanks for the info.

I saw that thread about the leatherneck too, and got a bit worried about my ZK War Sword and its intended uses (meaning, why I bought it). I'm really hoping to score a BK9 in a contest soon, because I can see how the Saber grinds would be much stronger for hard use.

And actually, even though I started off with a BK2, I think I might end up using a BK9 and a Necker together for the most part.

I think I'm starting down a slippery slope...

Cold Kill, see posts 69 and 71 in this thread. We have discussed this once before.

Did not see that. Thank you for pointing it out and not having me waste Toooj's time with a question that has already been asked. My posts will be deleted.

Toooj,

I have a KA-BAR ZK knife with GFN handle. Why is the handle dulling my blade? I have bought many other companies GFN handled knives and their handles don't dull the blades. Why do yours?

Ummm, I may be mistaken, but I am going to take this as sarcasm....:D ??

Very cool Dubz. Here's a few points and a ball...

P1030618.jpg
Wow Guyon, that stone is huge...

Was that a personal find, or did you buy it?

I got it when I was a boy. The man who found it was a friend of the family.

I'm not sure if it's some sort of gaming ball, or if it was used to grind up corn, wheat, etc. It's a big 'un though.

We've found those before, here in the corn fields when they till'em. A guy that lives down the street from me, has a large collection of relics, and he says that something that size, with that much effort to produce, would have to have a purpose, besides entertainment. I don't know, but I know they are cool.

Moose

Yeah, they're really cool. My stone is small. In the books, they call them gaming stones.

Mountain place this weekend. I owe Guyon a review of the Dozier folder he gave me so I'll bring that, plus it's time to finish off my damn Warthog mods.

Damn. I just bought a Heavy Bowie and immediately broke it. FML.

Damn. I just bought a Heavy Bowie and immediately broke it. FML.

ferret mailing list?

fix my lighthouse?

BROKE IT? how? details? pictures?

Toooj will send you a new one i will imagine. he's gunna wanna know what you did though ;)

Photos soon.... 'net very faint here.

Bladite: F$%= My Life. Common internet phrase.

And I'm not going to ask Toooj to replace a knife I broke out of sheer stupidiocy.

Back