KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

Hope everyone had a good Christmas with their families. Anybody get anything special or knifey for the holidays?

Hope everyone had a good Christmas with their families. Anybody get anything special or knifey for the holidays?

Nope, not one. I usually don't get knives for gifts, it tends to overwhelm folks that know me, when they start asking "What kinda of knife would you want for Christmas/BDay etc."

So, I get other stuff. Like socks, and tshirst, and guns, and whiskey, and stuff like that.

My daughters got me a coffee mug and a snow globe this year, but they were supposed to be put on my desk and not used. So I was told.

Moose

Warthog and BK7 as gifts, then I bought myself a Snody, a Fletcher Pocket Kilo, and a GEC Conductor. Kinda ridiculous :D

Dammit, y'all are making me jealous. I never get knives for Christmas. I did get a knapsack from Frost River and gift certificates to Red Wing Shoes, so I have a really nice new pair of boots. But no knives.

Oh well, that's what the Christmas money is for. :D

Nope, not one. I usually don't get knives for gifts, it tends to overwhelm folks that know me, when they start asking "What kinda of knife would you want for Christmas/BDay etc."

So, I get other stuff. Like socks, and tshirst, and guns, and whiskey, and stuff like that.

My daughters got me a coffee mug and a snow globe this year, but they were supposed to be put on my desk and not used. So I was told.

Moose

Well, Moose, what ELSE would you do with a snow globe? :confused:

Well, Moose, what ELSE would you do with a snow globe? :confused:

Not sure, but the note in the box said in Little Girl Handwriting, that they were to go on my desk and not be used. So far, I haven't shaken it, or looked at it. I think that means I haven't used it. :confused:

:D

Moose

Dammit, y'all are making me jealous. I never get knives for Christmas. I did get a knapsack from Frost River and gift certificates to Red Wing Shoes, so I have a really nice new pair of boots. But no knives.

Oh well, that's what the Christmas money is for. :D

Well...

The trick is to get a Santa Inc. Distribution franchise... (ya didn't really think that Santa delivers all those goodies by hiself, did ya...? :D )

That, and knifeoutlet.com's no tax and FREE Shippin' for orders over a hundred Santa-Letters, ... well... Santa has been berry, berry goot to the Garandimals.

That, and knifeoutlet.com's no tax and FREE Shippin' for orders over a hundred Santa-Letters, ... well... Santa has been berry, berry goot to the Garandimals.

If Santa-Letters are green and wallet-sized and come in denominations from 1 to 100, I want Santa to write to me more often! :D

If Santa-Letters are green and wallet-sized and come in denominations from 1 to 100, I want Santa to write to me more often! :D

I'll take some. Addy sent via PM.

Whew, had a bang up time over the holidays, caught up on some huntin', family time, and fun. Wish it would have lasted longer though.

Moose

Same here, if lacking the hunting and interspersed with bouts of work. Good times.

Got in early on the knife-buying this year and picked up an American classic today: A Buck 119 Special. Good steel.

Same here, if lacking the hunting and interspersed with bouts of work. Good times.

Got in early on the knife-buying this year and picked up an American classic today: A Buck 119 Special. Good steel.

What can you tell me about Hawiian turkey's, pelehu or something like that. I read a story about a guy hunting them years ago, and since I don't plan on heading to Hawaii with a gun for a few lifetimes, I'm interested if you hunt them or know anything about them.

I know the damn wild turkeys here are some smart birds. If they had a sense of smell, we probably wouldn't know what they looked like.

Moose

I'll take some. Addy sent via PM.

Whew, had a bang up time over the holidays, caught up on some huntin', family time, and fun. Wish it would have lasted longer though.

Moose

Amen to that, I'm wishing it lasted at least another week or two, but I guess thats just how it goes.

I know they're found in some areas and are huntable in season (my family doesn't hunt, I've never been, which I'd like to change) and that's about it. A friend who lives on the Big Island says that they're a road hazard, but I myself haven't seen one in the wild yet. Evidently they're all descendants of Rio Grande turkeys that were released here in the sixties.

I know they're found in some areas and are huntable in season (my family doesn't hunt, I've never been, which I'd like to change) and that's about it. A friend who lives on the Big Island says that they're a road hazard, but I myself haven't seen one in the wild yet. Evidently they're all descendants of Rio Grande turkeys that were released here in the sixties.

I've read that about the Rio Grandes being the decendants, I also heard their was a diet modification that alters the flavor of the meat.

I like to hunt, its just another excuse to get out in the woods. That and the stuff tastes better if you knew it when it walked around and ate stuff. :D

Moose

That's on my list of things to do this year. :D

A lot of the hunting here is for pigs, with knives.

Yeah, we do that too. :D Prefer a rifle or shotgun, but I ain't above stabbin' one.

:D

Moose

I got stupid stories of pigs to tell. like they'd be right in front of me, I'd throw the spear and miss completely. the pig would look up, with the spear still swaying in the ground, and just keep going about his business. I'm still behind a tree or bush then I pull my knife out and while deciding whether to throw that the pig would walk off into the bush. doh. years I been trying albeit no dogs just me. the good news is they still just randomly walk into the yard to root around. found two nesting areas in the brush. usually end up scaring each other when realize sharing the same space. /surprised oink, runs away they come down from the heiau (park) and have been spotted as far down as near the airport. I want a bow and arrow.

hi guys! new here, dropping in to say hello. i just purchased my first KA-BAR product the other day (USMC full size plain edge) after doing tons of research. i went with KA-BAR due to the fact that theyre one of the older companies out there and history says everything to me. i actually ended up paying full retail because im not a paitent man and ordering off amazon would've just been horrible. i did order the hard sheath though because im not a marine and i felt strange having a sheath with a giant usmc logo that i didnt earn, but however the reason i went with the usmc model is because technically speaking, its a piece of american history. I have to say that this knife is beastly and alot bigger than i expected (which is awesome), i dont plan on using this for my edc or as a bushmans tool because this knife wasnt built for heavy woodworking like everyone thinks it is (even though it can be if you are stuck in a rut, say a 72 hour bug out). but im in no way a collector and i will be putting this blade through the ringer eventually, for now though it just looks to crispy to mess up lol (anyone else have that problem?) . my next purchase is going to either be the srk (cold steel) or a gerber profile fixed blade drop point ($20 super reliable knife from wal mart, yes ive researched them), which will end up being my edc. probably going to go with the profile because the blade size is nice and idk the knife laws of the town i live in but im pretty sure carrying a 7" would be called overkill (auburn NY).

EDIT* i wanna go down south and kill pigs with my knife :) "when you kill with your own hands there is a reverance"

Last edited:
Back