Katrina Aftermath

N2, Linton, and Firkin get us abreast of reality frequently. If I were Howard Hughes I might have considered hiring them.

munk

and I expect N.O. will be, too...turning the River into a giant concrete ditch for most of its length has caused many problems, including the floods of a few years back, where a swelling river just normally spreads out its entire length, and at the same time, enriches the flood plain....a severe consequence of the channeling of the MIssissippi has been the loss of coastline land which has put N.O. much closer to the open water of the Gulf, with no wetland buffer to absorb he first blow of a storm...this last fact was a major contribution to the catastrophy now unfolding...if the storm had come in from the east, it would have pushed what hit the Mississippi coast right into the city, and there would not have been ANY live reports out of there until after the waters subsided and a fresh batch of news hounds had been dropped of....

The Port of Catoosa at Tulsa.
But you have to get up the Mighty Mississip' and the Arkansas to the Verdigris Waterway too get here. That means going past New Orleans to start with.
I heard one lady talking about the wetlands that had been replaced along part of the Delta, she had a name for it that I can't recall. She said that for every few hundred yards of this wetland it cut the storm surge by a whole foot.
Plus it enhanced the habitat for shrimp and other sealife.
As usual when Mankind starts "improving" on nature "Mankind" screws it up.
There never has been any easy answers for New Orleans and of course there isn't one now.
The city will be rebuilt no matter how long it takes.

Another good point, the same sediment that raises the riverbed is essential to maintain the protective wetlands of the delta (which has been shrinking for many years).

So it is really like building on a barrier island or a sand dune, just a (probably) longer time scale before things go FUBAR.

I suppose the whole lot could be rebuilt upstream and inland, don't know if the Mississippi has worse dredging issues, etc.

But I'm sure it won't be. The cost of extending pipelines from offshore, rebuilding infrastructure, etc. (heck, the actual port structures are ABOVE the rest of the city--at sea level!--and are probably the least damaged), would be decried as prohibitive, "especially in light of the cost of the exsisting damage." It won't matter whether that argument truely makes any sense.

"darker underbelly" of New Orleans?
That place is a cesspool of crime and always has been.
It's famous for booze, public nudity, you name it.
That city needed a bath anyway.

Im sorry if anyone got hurt, but please, I dont wanna hear anyone's shock at the apparent immorality or lawlessness in New Orleans.
That's what they are famous for.
"The Big Easy"
What do you think that means?

DannyinJapan said:
"The Big Easy"
What do you think that means?

Fun?

Hear that the rising water is mixing with the chemicals from nearby plants?

The dead is buried aboveground.

Chemicals + dead people = zombies.

Seriously, though. We need to get the living out, salvage what we can and rebuild elsewhere. It'll happen again.

Brian

It looks to me like New Orleans may not be "gone" but under water and rotting away so fast that it will disappear in a slower, more "gravity related" fashion.
New Orleans was always a wet, nasty place with lots of code violations.
I guess that's why people liked it. It was a musty underwear kind of city.
I enjoyed the turtle soup and beignets, but the world will benefit more from a clean "Orleans 3" or "New Orleans V.2" Or "New New Orleans"
You know, I remember seeing an ancient civil war attempt at a submarine in jackson square. I bet she's under water again today.

Danny,

They've suspended evacuation efforts this morning because someone at the Superbowl shot at a Military helicopter.

They've pulled 1500 officers from SEARCH AND RESCUE to do POLICE work.

I doubt NO is the exception. In fact, I think it is dangerous to make an exception. (both philosophically and on the ground)

American society has deteriorated. We are talking about people who did not, or could not leave NO, and are now disatisfied with the efforts to help them. The efforts are not good enough. Someone owes them something. It's somonelse's fault.

We are losing the glue that hold civilization together and NO is not the exception, it is the rule.

It's all the proof I need about what will happen IF

The LA riots were apologized for in the name of civil disturbance or protest. Just ask Maxine Waters.

Many of our other large cities have the same problems. Cinn. had riots not too long ago.

Make friends you can trust, have a vehicle that runs and lots of gas, and have ammo and firearms available at all times. That is what NO has reemphasized.

I've refrained from jumping to this conclusion, but I'm beginning to think NO has brought us national disgrace and is a wake up call.
>>>>>>>>>

munk

I intend to buy the dive rights. I want to set up tours for groups of divers to dive the *Historic Sunken City of New Orleans*. It'll be like the tours of the old city under San Francisco.

Highlights will include having your picture taken floating next to a Bourbon Street sign with one of those tall plastic glasses, Ladies can do their "bead thing" in almost full gear, waterproof markers will be provided to write on the tombs, fresh caught shrimp jambalya caught during the tour at the old fish market.

Investors can PM for details.

Sorry...but at a certain point of devastation, dark humor is the only possible response.

We've got the Space technology; let's just put the entire business district under water for good. They can carry tanks and live in bubbles. Won't have to worry about flooding no more.

munk

With the gator population in LA, it'd make the city even more interesting...and then there were those shark attacks...

I like the idea of gators cleaning up the organic trash in the area.

munk

Thomas Linton said:
And if the insurance companies refuse to issue insurance for flood/wind damage?

C'mon, you know the answer to that one....

What happened when the insurance companies balked at issuing insurance against terrorism-related damage to large metropolitan buildings in the wake of 9-11??

They were issued and the rates for the local auto mechanic here in Eastern Montana went from 300 a year to a 1000. That's for all the hurricane risk we have in Montana, naturally.

munk

BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

IN-CORRECT.

The answer is:

*The New Federal Insurance Program for Terrorist Acts*

http://www.constructionweblinks.com...ts__Newsletters/Feb_17_2003/fed_insurance.htm

"The federal government, recognizing that reasonably priced property and casualty insurance for acts of terrorism is necessary to keep projects on track and to keep the economy from stalling, recently enacted the "Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002." It already is in effect. The stated purpose of the Act is to ensure the availability of property and casualty insurance for acts of terrorism and to provide a transitional period during which the insurance industry can develop the infrastructure and programs necessary to sustain a private insurance market for terrorist acts.

The Act seeks to accomplish this purpose by creating a temporary program of shared public and private insurance for losses arising from acts of terrorism. In effect, once insurers have paid their specified shares of insured losses under the Act, the federal government acts as a super-reinsurer, providing backstop insurance for acts of terrorism up to a $100 billion ceiling."

Since tourism is THE economy of much of the area, I think a similar program is pretty much inevitable given the current mindset regarding "economics".

Doesn't seem much different than propping up airlines or auto-makers with tax dollars.

So you also hear a monotonic voice droning "IN-CORRECT" just before you become fully awake?

I thought that was God?

,,,about the only 'announcer' type voice that ever runs through my fevered brain is; "Jane, you ignorant slut"

It doesn't apply to anything but I've always enjoyed the line.

munk

Back