Photos Kepharts...They just Work

Have you guys seen the preorder for the new Carothers Kephart (closed now)?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/closed-pre-order-kephart.1765708/

Seems like a pretty good deal, but Nathan the Machinist himself seems a bit cynical. I hope he's doing well. Anyway, we're too late for the preorder, but he stated he'd also sell a few in the interim. Can't wait to see pictures of a real one.

Nathan is making light of the pre-order process that he does't like to use and preaches against but it makes business sense in this case. I think there's a lot of dry humor in thise threads as well. That was my take on it.

I was strongly considering it but I've kind of given up on trying to find something I like as much as my LT buahcrafter MKII. I later gor a JK mud turtle which ia very close but many others very good knives just didn't do it. I feel like CPK would be the one to do it, if anyone, but with such a long wait time and he's even stated he'll probably have more available outside of the pre-order, I would wait until later. Also, I didn't like the scale options. I have enough "standard" hanlde materials. I would have been very open to just a blade too.

I really want one in terotuff, burlap, or rag micarta.

Interesting BE. Are the scales as thin as the Blackbird?

I'm not sure as I've never really been interested in the OKC blackbird, just don't like the look. The small one is the Blackbird SK-4, the original is SK-5 so you have a 4" and 5" model now.

Looking it up now, the SK-4 actually looks nicer as they dropped the pinky ramp which was a big detraction for me on the larger version. The scales do look pretty slim in the photos on Knifecenter. It still looks a bit too tacticaly to me.

The big draw, IMO, is that it uses a stainless steel whereas most Kepharts are using a carbon or tool steel.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ON...-4-satin-blade-black-g10-handles-nylon-sheath
ON7504_LS1R.jpg

Nice spread! What's that little one on the right with the orange and green scales? Looks comfy. Thanks

that was a LTW Next Gen, I gifted it to someone on that other bushcraft web site. I since have obtained two more, one in bocote one in mountain textured g10. I like the size for small tasks, the handles are comfortable.

Last edited:
I'm not sure as I've never really been interested in the OKC blackbird, just don't like the look. The small one is the Blackbird SK-4, the original is SK-5 so you have a 4" and 5" model now.

Looking it up now, the SK-4 actually looks nicer as they dropped the pinky ramp which was a big detraction for me on the larger version. The scales do look pretty slim in the photos on Knifecenter. It still looks a bit too tacticaly to me.

The big draw, IMO, is that it uses a stainless steel whereas most Kepharts are using a carbon or tool steel.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ON...-4-satin-blade-black-g10-handles-nylon-sheath
ON7504_LS1R.jpg
Thanks BE. I actually owned a Blackbird for a short while until I passed it on. I don't care for shiny stainless blades and flat slabs. Thanks to your link, I discovered the Baby Blackbird to be a spitting image of the bigger one. I also thought it was a tad overpriced. Count me out.
Even that one Kephart inspired one of mine made by Gray Wolf in 3V is too shiny enen though it has a somewhat shiny finish. I'm looking at giving it a ferric acid treatment or send it to a professional for one.

Of all the Kepharts out there, one of my favorites is by Lucas Forge. His his traditional including the blade length which I wish was 4 inch.

Thanks BE. I actually owned a Blackbird for a short while until I passed it on. I don't care for shiny stainless blades and flat slabs. Thanks to your link, I discovered the Baby Blackbird to be a spitting image of the bigger one. I also thought it was a tad overpriced. Count me out.
Even that one Kephart inspired one of mine made by Gray Wolf in 3V is too shiny enen though it has a somewhat shiny finish. I'm looking at giving it a ferric acid treatment or send it to a professional for one.

If you need someone to work a basic patina in for you, I can do that for. I'm not as good as the guys who have been doing it for a while but I can get the shiny off for you.

I came across a variation of the Kephart yesterday that was interesting. The Worktuff Unihart (sorry I am unable to post a picture) it had a slightly curved grip. I messaged them and asked what the intent was by deviating from the typical straight lines of the Kephart and there response was adequate but amusing stating they had several knife designs they we’re trying to use the same handle scales with.

I came across a variation of the Kephart yesterday that was interesting. The Worktuff Unihart (sorry I am unable to post a picture) it had a slightly curved grip. I messaged them and asked what the intent was by deviating from the typical straight lines of the Kephart and there response was adequate but amusing stating they had several knife designs they we’re trying to use the same handle scales with.

That's a pretty standard manufacturing concept, to try and use the same materials and designs/formulas across several products. That uni-hart doesn't look much like a Kephart, just has a spearpoint blade at about the right length but there are other deviations away from the Kephart knife's design there.

It still looks functional. I haven't seen that one before. I would probably look towards something different unless the price on the worktuff is lower in different parts of the world. In the US, there are better options in that price bracket, IMO.

I like the traditional style of the Kephart, but the Fiddleback one just drew my eye in, so I managed to get a Production version. Not a true Kephart, but I like it, there are others who have morphed the style. There was a great Lucas combo in the exchange a few days ago that sold, great knife and sheath, I like his traditional ones.

I like the traditional style of the Kephart, but the Fiddleback one just drew my eye in, so I managed to get a Production version. Not a true Kephart, but I like it, there are others who have morphed the style. There was a great Lucas combo in the exchange a few days ago that sold, great knife and sheath, I like his traditional ones.

Agree, the Fiddleback does an interpretation of the Kephart's uses and does it which Andy's take on it. I think it's a beautiful knife. I have a recluse which is part of their "Kephart family" according to their description but it's even further from a Kephart styling with a straight spine, nearly a puukko-style blade. It would make a good EDC knife, thinking of Pasiviking, but they are certainly pricey. The Fiddleback recluse (same handle as Kephart I think) have a more svelt handle than many of the other bushcraft knives I've had, including the Fiddleback bush hermit which is a really nice handle.

I've been on a bad shopping spree since taking a leave of absence from work for several weeks for family time (good thing). I'm sure I'm going to end up with another Kephart at some point, though I suppose I already added the LT next gen and genesis in the earlier "deal searching." I can be silly with some of the used knife prices that are well below retail.

I had never heard of LTW before these recent posts on this thread (haven’t received my knife guy card yet) but there are several in his line up I’d love to own eventually. Availability seems low presently, I’m assuming due to pandemic/ Christmas buy off.

Back