Photos Kepharts...They just Work

I wonder if the nuances I have read about in the Kabar version maybe close to the nuances you mentioned in a true Kephart. I have not handled it yet to see, but I have heard and read that others have and they say it makes it feel great.

qTqrDg5.jpg

I guess this one is Kephart influenced!

As the OP of this thread, y'all have done my heart good. Thank you.
I love what you said Eveled...
Pictures make it seem so flat and basic, a good Kephart is 3 dimensional and loaded with small nuances.
Mr. Cahoon, that's a beautiful knife!

Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo somehow Kephart knives and the whole Kephart story had escaped my attention. Which is surprising because it’s the kind of stuff I sought out when I was younger. When Ethan posted about the original was my first exposure to Kephart at all.

His enthusiasm seemed to ignite the Becker subsection. So I had to try out this simple knife that everyone was so excited about. When I first held it, I couldn’t put it down. It’s the epitome of simple elegance.

At first it seems to be way over priced for such a simple knife. The history, attention to detail, the upgrade to removable scales, tapered tang, and the great sheath make the BK62 a bargain.
It’s got to be one of the very best apple and peanut butter knives ever made.

Last edited:
The biggest difference of the original Kephart and the BK62 is the relieved spine is more like a swedge than conex'ed. Ethan stated that it was simply because of the limitations of modern production methods whereas the originals were all forged by hand so convex grinds were more common. I think the blade may be a hair longer on the BK62 as well.

I think he mentions that in one of the release videos he had on YouTube.

This seems like an apt thread to pose this question as so many here have a love for the Kephart. What are y’all’s considerations on using this knife as an edc blade? I love the simplicity of the knife, the versatility in the field and the lore behind it. However could you justify carrying this knife as an everyday knife? To be clear I like fixed blades and usually carry one daily, generally an izula in scout. I know Kephart can run a bit longer but that’s ok as I live in a very knife friendly state and can carry almost any knife I wish. I was looking at a Kephart in a 4inch or so flavor, light enough to backpack with in addition to an edc blade.

This seems like an apt thread to pose this question as so many here have a love for the Kephart. What are y’all’s considerations on using this knife as an edc blade? I love the simplicity of the knife, the versatility in the field and the lore behind it. However could you justify carrying this knife as an everyday knife? To be clear I like fixed blades and usually carry one daily, generally an izula in scout. I know Kephart can run a bit longer but that’s ok as I live in a very knife friendly state and can carry almost any knife I wish. I was looking at a Kephart in a 4inch or so flavor, light enough to backpack with in addition to an edc blade.

If you can carry a bigger knife without a problem then they would make a great EDC as they are designed to be very versatile. I believe @22-rimfire used a compact Condor Kephart for such a task and I think some others have used "pocket" Kepharts from various knifemakers or manufacturers with good results. I believe LT Wright EDC's his genesis model.

If my area was better about fixed blades and I didn't work in an office/lab I think the BRKT mini Kephart would be a great EDC as I like more slender blades and pocket carry for EDC including fixed blades in a pocket or clip sheath. I ended up selling that one after designing my own EDC-oriented fixed blade but I may get another one in handle materials I like a lot more as I traded for the one I had and it had yellow liners and yellow is not a color I like at all. I still kept it for a year or two as the blade and handle design were pretty stellar for a small slicing knife, nearly a paring knife in a Kephart outfit.

The thicker handle is probably the biggest downside for me and EDC if legality wasn't the problem. What I want for a woods knife and an EDC knife differ greatly as EDC, for me, means ease of carry and concealment are important. If I worked in an outdoor role or just not in a city/suburb, I would have a very different take on my daily carry.

I appreciate you mentioning the LT Wright genesis. I have looked at the PR4 and while I like the length the width is wider than I think I’d prefer in some instances, example slipping under a tight zip tie to pop it loose. At the same time some of these beautiful custom jobs would break my heart the way I beat on a knife. I’ve considered the the BK62 but the length is just a little long. I live on the edge of Georgia and SC while I can carry almost anything in SC when I’m in GA it needs to be at 5 in max. I’m not looking for a batoning knife but I may be cutting cardboard one minute, prying on a packing staple and using it on a tomato later in the day.
I really appreciate your insight and advice.

I’m currently reading through this thread to gain any wisdom. I’ve never owned a fixed Kephart but as I’ve researched it more and more I think this could be a constant on the belt.

I appreciate you mentioning the LT Wright genesis. I have looked at the PR4 and while I like the length the width is wider than I think I’d prefer in some instances, example slipping under a tight zip tie to pop it loose. At the same time some of these beautiful custom jobs would break my heart the way I beat on a knife. I’ve considered the the BK62 but the length is just a little long. I live on the edge of Georgia and SC while I can carry almost anything in SC when I’m in GA it needs to be at 5 in max. I’m not looking for a batoning knife but I may be cutting cardboard one minute, prying on a packing staple and using it on a tomato later in the day.
I really appreciate your insight and advice.

I’m currently reading through this thread to gain any wisdom. I’ve never owned a fixed Kephart but as I’ve researched it more and more I think this could be a constant on the belt.

One of the better cardboard knives I've owned was a Sheffield Green River knife that has the same basic feel of a Kephart and is very inexpensive. The handle needs a little sanding and the blade on the one I bought had a wire edge on it but it was a great slicer and the sheath pocketed pretty well. Steel was nit mavical but stropped very easily. There are far better knives out there but not many for $30 or so. I think Dexter Russell may have an equivalent knife but I know their version of the green river is different.

It's that kind of price where yiu're not afraid to be rough with if and use the dickens out of it without hesitation. It took me a while to start using the more expensive knives like they were intended because of my fear of damaging them or from damaging them from sharpening poorly. No worries on some of the less expensive stuff and they're still very capable.

I'm still working through the kinks but I grabbed an LT Wright next fen recently that is just a smaller genesis that would be a decent EDC option. Mine is ground thick so I'm trying to see if the LT crew will work kn it for me or I'm going to turn it into a zero ground convex myself. I got a slick deal on it used so not sure what the guys at LT are willing to do on it, but the handle is comfy for hard work. It won't be an EDC for me because the handle is too thick but if you're considering a BK62 then the next gen may be worth a look.

Another option is the LTW Bushcrafter HC or the smaller version, 1075 is adequate and tough steel, or try the Condor Kephart to try the pattern out, then if like it, you can get a more expensive one with different steel, depending on what your needs are. I also have a Kephart style blade from Redsquid in a four inch blade, his handles are comfy, and I like his work, some cosmetic issues which he tells you about, but they are good, solid users and he prices them really well. I also really like JK knives Kephart, he uses 01 steel, and he has figured out a great heat treat to get the most out of that steel.

Last edited:
Back