Kershaw and ZT 2020 lineup

Kershaw posted a whole bunch of new knives on their website, my first impression is a lot of D2 and 4Cr steel. Everything from traditional looking slipjoints to a butterfly knife. I think there's still too many assisted openers with 4Cr steel, I wish they upgraded everything to D2 and manual opening, but there are a few things I like in there.

ZT also put a new knife on their site, the 308. It really reminds me of the 300 series. I've been pretty critical of their direction lately, tending towards more "pocket jewelry" knives, but this seems like a good working knife.

0l1qDsR.jpg

The Launch 11 has a profile I enjoy, I'll likely get one. The new ZT looks ok, I'll reserve judgement till I have one in hand, and will probably wait for a sprint in a more enjoyable to me color.

Copper natrix in all sizes. The XL is over half a pound! Not a fan myself, I'm happy with the G10 models, although it would have been nice to have all the Natrix models with d2.

Guess I won't be buying any new Kershaws or ZTs for a while...

Last edited:
Man whats with all the $100+ Chinese made ones?

The copper natrix xl has an msrp of 145... Is its going to be nearly 100 bucks? I just can't see paying that much for a Chinese Kershaw when you can get a 20cv Bareknuckle for under 100.

Kershaw posted a whole bunch of new knives on their website, my first impression is a lot of D2 and 4Cr steel. Everything from traditional looking slipjoints to a butterfly knife. I think there's still too many assisted openers with 4Cr steel, I wish they upgraded everything to D2 and manual opening, but there are a few things I like in there.

ZT also put a new knife on their site, the 308. It really reminds me of the 300 series. I've been pretty critical of their direction lately, tending towards more "pocket jewelry" knives, but this seems like a good working knife.

0l1qDsR.jpg

The ZT 0308 is on top of my list for knives to get. About time they ditch the light weight bs movement. Back to their roots!

My sentiment as well.

I'm going to have to disagree with all of you on the ZT 0308. Seriously the lack of jimping, small flipper tab when closed making it less optimal for glove use, less organic "harsh" lines creating a smaller finger choil and unnecessary hole in the middle of the handle. The ZT 030X, which is a simple hard use knife, that has organic ergonomics that were extremely secure with bare hands or really thick gloves. My first impressions, it would seem the 0308 doesn't match up favourably against the 0301 in those categories.

Last edited:
I have to say, I disagree with you, I think the ergonomics look really good on it. I like when companies can make knives that fit the hand without overusing jimping, and this whole knife has milled texturing including the lockside. With the jimping on the spine, the hump in the handle, and the choil, I think it will fit well in a lot of hands. Also the Flipper tab seems really well positioned, and has enough jimping that it should catch your finger even if you're wearing gloves.

I think it's a worthy update to the 030X line.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with all of you on the ZT 0308. The ZT 0308 is nothing more than a bastardized version of the 030X family. Just from an engineering persepctive, the 0308 will be not as strong/secure lock up because it it missing the "bladestop" thumbstuds. Seriously the lack of jimping, small flipper tab when closed making it less optimal for glove use, less organic "harsh" lines creating a smaller finger choil and unnecessary hole in the middle of the handle. The ZT 030X, which is a simple hard use knife, that has organic ergonomics that were extremely secure with bare hands or really thick gloves... everything the ZT 0308 is not.
All these observations without holding it in hand? Im excited about the knife only based on pictures, and how its reminiscent of the discontinued 0300 series. Im not here to agree or disagree, just like the knife.

All these observations without holding it in hand? Im excited about the knife only based on pictures, and how its reminiscent of the discontinued 0300 series. Im not here to agree or disagree, just like the knife.

I can visually see also there is no ramp with jimping on it like the 0301, or how comparatively the finger choil is much less deep than the 0301.

I have to say, I disagree with you, I think the ergonomics look really good on it. I like when companies can make knives that fit the hand without overusing jimping, and this whole knife has milled texturing including the lockside. With the jimping on the spine, the hump in the handle, and the choil, I think it will fit well in a lot of hands. Also the Flipper tab seems really well positioned, and has enough jimping that it should catch your finger even if you're wearing gloves.

I think it's a worthy update to the 030X line.
We will have to disagree on the ergonimics. The ZT 0301 didn't overuse the jimping, but it had an adequate finger choil and thumb ramp kept the hand extremely secure. But the finger choil and ramp (not including jimping) are both much smaller on the 0308. Thus, less secure ergonomics not even including the jimping.

Last edited:
Yes. I don't need to hold the knife in hand to know how important the "bladestop" thumbstuds are. I can visually see also there is no ramp with jimping on it like the 0301, or how comparatively the finger choil is much less deep than the 0301.

We will have to disagree on the ergonimics. The ZT 0301 didn't overuse the jimping, but it had an adequate finger choil which this knife is clearly stronger. Also, since this knife is literally weaker by comparison, is a "worthy update"? That is a downgrade.
There is a lot of knives that don't use blade stops or have jimping everywhere, etc. (cough cough, Sebenza 21/31) and they are not an ergonomic mess nor do they have issues with rigidity. I think the knife has to be put in hand before any assessment on ergos can be made.

There is a lot of knives that don't use blade stops or have jimping everywhere, etc. (cough cough, Sebenza 21/31) and they are not an ergonomic mess nor do they have issues with rigidity. I think the knife has to be put in hand before any assessment on ergos can be made.
I would also never put the ZT 0301 in the same category/comparison with the Sebenza. They are completely different knives. Look you can say "they don't have rigidity issues", but it is basic physics... knives without properly executed "bladestop" thumbstuds vs with, don't dissipate/handle force as well. Also, speaking ergonomically, my point was look at this BladeHQ video on using knives with difference sized gloves. The ZT 0301 functions perfectly and is extremely secure with it's ergonomics with any glove, I cannot say the sebenza would be the same.

I would also never put the ZT 0301 in the same category/comparison with the Sebenza. They are completely different knives. Look you can say "they don't have rigidity issues", but it is basic physics... knives without properly executed "bladestop" thumbstuds vs with, don't dissipate/handle force as well. Also, speaking ergonomically, my point was look at this BladeHQ video on using knives with difference sized gloves. The ZT 0301 functions perfectly and is extremely secure with it's ergonomics with any glove, I cannot say the sebenza would be the same.
My apologies for continuing to derail this thread. I will not comment further in regards to the ergonomic and secure lock up issues this knife will have because it is not engineered with blade stops.I did not compare this knife to a sebenza, only used it as an example of knives without blade stops. I like the knife and am definitely getting it as soon as they are available. Gideons, if you wish to continue this conversation, I invite you to email me at jrayala85@outlook.com.

Last edited:
I know they are trying to reach a bottom dollar price point for people who aren't into knives, but I feel like they can do better than 4cr14. I know it's supposed to be equivalent to 420hc and 1.4116 but it never really reaches those levels. I really wish they would stop using garbage and pick a respectable "Baseline" blade steel. Kershaw is kind of all over the place these days, some good and some bad.

ZT's marketing doesn't make much sense to me. The whole point of being an overbuilt tactical knife is not for it to be a showpiece, it's to be tough, functional, and simple, and affordable, much like the 0200 that started the whole brand back in the day. It would make a lot more sense to market them as the upscale enthusiast brand they currently are rather than an overbuilt tactical brand.

My apologies for continuing to derail this thread. I will not comment further in regards to the ergonomic and secure lock up issues this knife will have because it is not engineered with blade stops.I did not compare this knife to a sebenza, only used it as an example of knives without blade stops. I like the knife and am definitely getting it as soon as they are. Gideons if you wish to continue this conversation, I invite you to email me at jrayala85@outlook.com.
I may of came out a little strong. I got really excited when I saw the tweet by ZT saying "Coming soon - the next evolution in the 0300 series - the 0308." then was pretty let down by what I saw. ZT is the company that got me into this hobby. I may of not articulated as well as I should. I'm sure the ZT 0308 ergonomics and strength are fine, just not optimal to me.

This is the first ZT design I've liked for a while, would love to see how it compares to my 301 in hand. And hearing of a copper Natrix XL makes me just want to edc it, for the challenge.

But who is the guy who puts holes in the ZT knives??????

they have a lot of knives that are great without any holes into them ;)

The materials are good, the action will be great for sure .. but seems to be on the expensive side

i hope there will be other new things disclosed for for shot show

Back