Kinda OT?: What do you do / have done?

Military.....Submariner.....special breed of strange. (and clinically insane after 1 month of time underwater) hehehe did 4 1/2 years. Good times had my most.

The military isn't for everybody, but it's done exactly what I wanted it to. I've also been fortunate enough to have visited 7 different countries, which would not have ever been possible without the military. All this with a plethera of memories both good and bad. Some really good friends, and lots of really great aquaintances. It's been a learning experience.

mike

Hmmm...

B.A. with a double major in Journalism and Political Science. I explored a lot, so I had a good bit more than the minimum credits needed to graduate (and I blew stuff off when I was bored, so I did a couple repeats).

A little time in the Army Reserve (about 3 1/2 years of it actively doing one thing or another).

I do computer security now for a global company (which is why I post at all hours of the night).

I've done a bit of everything part-time and in-between (retail clerk, bouncer, waiter, bartender at shot and a beer places, a few different things for a couple security companies, grocery clerk, level 2/3 support technician, factory work).

If the Cantina ever had a party with everyone present, half the folks would have been bouncers at one time or another.

munk

munk said:
If the Cantina ever had a party with everyone present, half the folks would have been bouncers at one time or another.
munk
Probably why the Cantina is so well behaved. :)

Student working on a BAS, bluehair wrangler, metalsmith, occasional martial art instructor, and very occasional bouncer/security for private events keeps me busy for now. Previously shipping and help where needed for a carbide tool manufacture, 10 years with a leather goods manufacture, the occasional computer/high tech job and a little construction and backhoe work.

Cook
Handyman
DJ
Gas station jockey
Army ( Artillery 10 years)
Gun Shop manager
Copy store manger
Adult film Actor
Rangemaster
Firearms instructor
Private Investigator
Network engineer

Now that, is a list.
I'd figured your forum name was descriptive.

munk

Dietary Aide for 4 years before becoming a Medical Lab Technician for about the last three months now.

Bob

I teach at a Grammar school in Germany - German literature and history. I finished university (University of Bayreuth - some of you may know Wagner as a composer - that is the city where he lived) in 2001 and finished the "Referendariat" (that´s were you learn to be a teacher - in university you just learn the stuff you have to teach) in 2003. Worked as a bouncer too (but only six times as it was for events a friend planned) and I am not the typical bouncer (181 cm, 164 lbs). Worked in a hospital for 15 months too - had to collect tumors and amputated body parts from the ER to bring them to the pathologist (does this word exists - it´s the doctor who examines corpses and tumors etc. for sign of cancerous malignity and so on) or to the crematory...
From next september our little family (my wife Susanne and my son Simon) may be somewhere abroad as I applied to be a teacher at a German school in some foreign county (school where children od diplomats or members of the army are or Goethe-Institutes) for a three year term. Funny thing is you cannot apply to go to a certain country but can only exclude two continents or part-continents (we excluded Central Asia and Africa). We certainly would like to go to Italy, Norway, Sweden or Finland but certainly Canada, the USA or Ecuador (where we have friends in Quito and Guayaquil would be fine too.

So that is what I did, do and maybe will do in the future...

Andreas

Every little job?

I worked at Target once, helping widen the aisles for the ADA law.
Sacked groceries, flipped burgers, worked for a returned check collection agency, did a lot of software/hardware telephone tech support, took pictures and such for the Medical Examiner, and finally ended up at Bombardier Aerospace, which was my last and favorite job before I came to japan.

Now I teach English at kindergartens and I like it more than any of those other jobs.

Still, I want to come back to America, go get a real degree and work for NASA building spaceships.
Sounds a little far -fetched, but I come from a long line of engineers, so I think I can do it if I work my a$$ off.

I ought to add this: I was fired three times from different jobs in Dallas because of "sexual harrassment."
How I, as an entry level employee, harrassed anyone is beyond me. Apparently, however, asking out a female employee on a date counts as sexual harassment. Also, telling a woman who that she looks like an 18 year old on her 40th office birthday party is also sexual harassment.

Keeping a job in Dallas, Texas is a hard damned thing to do.

College in Midwest: B.S. Biology
Moved to Maui: rented Harleys, sanded bamboo flutes, worked in b+w and color labs(run by corrupt born again fanatics who spoke in tongues and prayed over faxes so that jesus would help them get rich), environmental educator.
Back to Maine: Freelance Nature Photographer, Outdoor Gear Retail clerk, Education Program coordinator/educator (current)

Trying to get onto Fire Department Full time, also planning on Graduate school in the fall for M.S. in Marine Biology.

Thinking about opening my own drive through Meth. Lab and retiring young:rolleyes: :p :D

I didn't do much in the way of making a living, surely not anything as exciting and rewarding as some of you have seen and done.;)

I was raised around a service station and garage so I pumped a lot of gas when I was little, back when both cars and some service stations had gravity feed for their fuel supply. The modern electric pumps and cars with fuel pumps were in short supply in some parts of the country although they did exist in groves in the larger towns and more heavily populated areas.

When I was a teen I hauled hay and worked one summer helping my grandpa as a plumber's helper.
I didn't like digging ditches or playing in stopped up sewer and septic lines so I didn't persue that vocation.:barf:

All I knew was service station work and that's what I did for a while after getting married at sixteen.
Then I had a chance to go to work in a machine shop. Did that for a while and then due to circumstances I worked as a janitor for the Tulsa Public Schools.
After a while at that I started working part time in the machine shop again while staying on as a janitor.
Did a six month stint in the Army going through boot and then getting MOS training and when I was released from active duty I went back into the machine shop.
Shakespeare had started a large manufacturing facility in Fayetville Arkansas and I got on there as an apprentice automatic screw machine operator. They wouldn't advance me as fast as I was learning so I got fed up and moved back to Tulsa where I went to work for a medium sized shop with a small screw machine department and that's where I got my jump start on my vocation as I was pretty much on my own as no one except the owner knew anything about the screw machines.
I taught myself how to layout and make the cams for the Brown and Sharpes and layouts for the Warner Swazey 6 spindle as well as how to take 'em apart, fix 'em, and put 'em back together again so they would do what they were supposed to do.
I was an Automatic Screw Machine Mechanic and general machinist and toolmaker, loved my work but didn't always like my job.;) :rolleyes: :D

When I was 54 after I hurt my back I went for my GED and went for the Gold so to speak.
I was elected to the National Adult Education Society as well as earning a two year fully paid
scholarship at TCC, our local Jr. College which I didn't take advantage of for several reasons.
The company where I hurt my back put me in a toolmaker's position where I worked for another year before re-injuring my back and had to go on disability and consequently retiring.

I teach college - Psychology.
My area is experimental psychology, and I have been doing this for more than 30 years.

arty said:
My area is experimental psychology, and I have been doing this for more than 30 years.

Very cool, Arty:)
I married a school psych, and my main area in college was business psych. My wife and I always joke about how she is "good" in the fact that she really wants to diagnois kids with problems and help them get what they need. While I am "evil" for learning just enough psych to tell people what they want to hear so they'll buy from me. I believe the layman's term for this is "Irish".

Jake

Electrician/alarm technician turned empoverished unpublished author.
In between I worked at a state of the art computer controlled gun range .
This baby even had a live fire theater where you and another could be in separate rooms with each other on each others full wall video screens and plug away to your hearts content . The computer coyuld rewind the video and determine who got who . it was only 150 bucks an hour . It was really meant for law enforcement . This had training scenarios that are just too complicated to get into here .
B:T:W: I shot for free , shot clients firearms as well which included everything from 22,s to 454 casulls which make a 44 mag look like a 357 .
I shot a 45 semi auto mag called a Wildey (sp) Conclusion of all this ? People with too much money buy too much gun .
Oh I forgot to tell you, They paid me !

arty said:

Love to read those notes :)

Grocer.

Well, everybody is chiming in, so I'll add to my dull moniker of "attorney"

Pumped gas, filled up a beer cooler through high school and worked at my Mom's restaurant\diner.

Went to college, majored in English. Worked in a book store and a state lab cleaning lab equipment (autoclaving jars filled with poop :barf: ).

Worked for six summers and a few winters in a furniture factory, everything from finish work to loading trucks. You'd think I'd be handier now :rolleyes: .

Went to law school, got a summer clerk job with a 15 lawyer firm, been there ever since, first as clerk, then as associate, now as partner. (14 years :( )

My favorite job was working in a book store. $4.25 an hour didn't pay student loans though!

Steely_Gunz said:
Very cool, Arty:)
While I am "evil" for learning just enough psych to tell people what they want to hear so they'll buy from me. I believe the layman's term for this is "Irish".

Jake

As corporate evil goes, that's not too bad. Most companies do worse things than that to their own employees. To quote Dr. Evil:

"You're quasi-evil, you're semi-evil, you're the margerine of evil, you're the diet-coke of evil. Just one calorie! Not evil enough!":D

Now, if you work in HR or the expense department, that's real evil. :mad:

If you're an executive, then you are probably having-a-booby-trapped-seat-at-the-big-table-and-always-referred-to-as-a-number evil.

In approximate order:

-file clerk for a physician's office
-trail crew
-dishwasher
-lab glassware washer
-gunsmith's assistant
-shore-based crab processing plant (Aleutians)
-BA (Physics, Reed College)
-crab processing vessel (Kodiak I, Bering Sea, Pribloffs)
-Teacher (Grad student teaching freshman physics lab sections)
-high school physics and math teacher
-jr high math teacher
-MEd (Science Curriculum and Instruction, U of Washington)
-industrial course designer and instructor
-auditor
-MHP (Health Physics, Illinois Institute of Technology)
-CHP (American Academy of Health Physics)
-health physicist (radiation safety for a large aerospace company)

Who knows what the future holds?

Back