Kinda OT?: What do you do / have done?

Paper boy
sales clerk for a department store (mens' wear)
sales clerk for a local electronics store.
managed a bar,
Ran a totalisator company for parimutuel betting. (lots of travel)
Ran a electronics counter for a Surplus store.
Sales rep for a hi-tech company, (more travel mostly far east)
Gun shop clerk, than manager.
Managed warehouses
Demolition industry (still involved)
Nuclear industry (still involved)

Some of these jobs went on at the same time...

Svashtar said:
Will do. I'm on it right now, just need a place to jump to. Salary isn't a huge issue, just obviously need a certain amount to pay the bills. At this point I would be willing to sacrifice $15-$20K to be able to leave.

Norm

Norm my brother, my fellow Cantina member, i wish you the best.

i'm sorry to hear about your political woes. you are not alone.

but i have seen and experienced, that in the end, even if it is a long time coming, such tactics are ultimately self defeating.

believe me i know. i find that even though people of good heart may suffer under one tyrant, that tyrant must continually suffer the dislike of a great many.

those that cause suffering to others, are they themselves greatly suffering.

Wow, it's gonna be hard for my description to live up the incredible histories and presents of you remarkable folks.

I was an honors student in high school when I dropped out, took the GED and worked full time, first in an insurance company as a clerk (got fired), then as a salesman.

I started my own alarm company at age 19 which I sold a few years later. I sailed that summer, loafing and sailing, and then I went to work for a computer store guy and had a series of computer sales jobs.

I've gotten fired from almost every job I've ever had. I'm not designed to work for anyone.

I started my own computer software company which ended in disaster. I had a series of self employed situations where I made some money and then did some real estate buying and selling, arranging loans, and rehabbing houses and a small apartment building.

I started another business after that, from home, and I ended up having 17 people working out of my garage! (Our shipping department was located in my sauna, and the deck and hot tub was for meetings.)

That company grew to three offices and included fascinating experiences such as a joint venture with a public company called Styles on Video and a lot of incredible projects.

I made more money than I ever have in such short a time. I shut that down, spent a few weeks in Hawaii, and became a partner with my brother's software company on the East Coast, outside Washington DC. I raised $14 million from top tier Silicon Valley VCs and ran that company with my brother, till they got rid of me (thankfully). We had 75 people and an incredible adventure, just amazing.

I started my present company with my brother, and we have helped commercialize technologies for people like DuPont and George Washington University, and lately, started another Internet advertising technology company which is just a few glowing embers right now but I am very excited about it.

In between, the most wonderful woman I could ever imagine agreed to marry me, and that was 18 years ago, and an incredible boy and girl came along, and lately a new dog.

I've been fired and a failure many times in my life. I think of Abe Lincoln and Richard Nixon, neither of whose political views I would agree with, but who both demonstrated the awesome power of failing your way to success.

When one door closes, another truly does open.

What has changed for me in the last 4 years or so is that I don't live in the future anymore. So I'm a lot happier.

I can't imagine a better life. I work at home, do what I love doing, and can post online instead of doing real work, with buddies on HI.

What has changed for me in the last 4 years or so is that I don't live in the future anymore. So I'm a lot happier

It's amazing what a difference that makes! I'm finally beginning to do that myself.

Halfway to 106. Well, almost. Far past halfway to 104.

Given that my draft number in 1971 was 13, I enlisted in the Marine Corps figuring to take my destiny in my own hands. Came out of Parris (Plt 286) in late '72, then to APG for 2111 school (Small Arms Repairman). Then came an assignment with FSS with 2MarDiv, first at LeJeune and with a short stint at Norfolk, then orders for Quantico. Repaired and reworked M16A1s, M1911A1s, M14s, some M1 Garands kept for parade and guard use, M3, M60, and M2 MGs, and maintained captured ChiCom AKs and LMGs that were used for familiarization training for newly minted Marines in AIT at Camp Geiger.

Applied for USMCR and was approved in time to start college in fall '74. Graduated in '78 with a BS in Mech. Eng. and Buss. Admin. and went to work in Corporate America in manufacturing. Spent the next 20 years climbing the supervision/management ladder in manufacturing, then decided to go solo doing design of industrial controls and PLC programming for many small businesses that can't afford their own full-time E&I engineer. "I never close" -- on call 24/7 if need be. I have that clientele now built up to as much business as I can handle on my own from about 42-45 different clients. Also do SQL development on a regular basis, and web site development for folks I know if they twist my arm enough. Married 27 years, three kids to show for it with the youngest still at home. No grandkids yet. Voracious reader, usually do two novels a week, but at least one a week. On a first name basis with librarians and booksellers in five states. When time permits (ha!) I enjoy sending lead downrange from milsurp boltguns, military semi-autos, 1911s, and S&W revolvers.

And I collect HI khuks.

10 point quiz on Monday.

Noah

Thank you all for your candid additions to this thread. I can't imagine a finer bunch to hang out with.:D

Thanks to all of you for contributing to this thread. I am very glad I started it off, and apologize for being a downer about my work situation. Maybe that was my goal subconsciously to get your feedback, and I have gathered much encouragement from it, however in re-reading my threads I remind myself of Debbie Downer on SNL. ;)

I get so much from this forum, and it is hard to communicate that to others, as they subscribe to forums of their own that do not have this kind of magic to them.

As inspiration for my current situation on my whiteboard at work I have the quote from Semper I believe, that really caught my eye as something very profound. I don't have it exactly right now, but it said something like "do what you would do if you were not afraid, and that will be the correct course of action."

In any case, if you haven't chimed in please do so and share your life experiences, or at least tell us what you have done to make a buck. (-:

Thanks,

Norm

Yvsa said:
Norm, I just turned 65 last March 1st so will soon be 66. Not that old but I have more miles on me than 10 average men and Lulu.;) :D

Thanks for the kind words.:thumbup:

Yvsa, you left yourself wide open on that one so I was just ribbing you a bit. (-: You said you were an "old cantankerous bastard" at times, and I said you weren't that old...;) :D

Nothing too wild, but here goes anyhow ~

Worked as a laborer and janitor when I was 15 and sixteen through summers and after school. Made $5 hr when minimum wage was $3.25 so thought I was rich.

Worked at a drugstore for a year in high school for a despotic boss whom I plotted torture and slow death for every day I worked there. He once raised his hand to punch me in the face and I laughed and told him to make me rich: he instead punched the box in back of me, subsequently breaking his hand. Karma for sure.

Worked at a bicycle shop as a mechanic and salesperson, ended up manager. Worked at 3 shops over the course of 11 years. Fun indeed, money was always slim pickens. Kid #3 finally forced my hand, left the industry. Worked on weekends at this point at a historic farm as a docent blacksmith, making knives, tomahawks, period tools, and fixing old farm equipment. Black boogers are great, but not conducive to turning your wife on.

Went to an automation/robotics house, started as an entry level assembler, and technician ~ managed to get them to pay me 50% more than any of the other entry level guys. Decided I better pull a rabbit out of my arse and make it worth their while. Was in charge of million dollar project withing 6 months, was in a lead technician/field service/r&d/lead position by the end of 4 years. Travelled in the states and to Japan to install an fix robots.

Went to start up robotics company during .com boom. Doors closed exactly one year after I started when the money dried up. Really a blessing in disguise because I hated the management, who new nothing about the business we were in, and they disliked the fact that I told them so.

Robotics slowed way down with the .com crash so I started looking for work anywhere to feed my now family of six with 2 dogs and a cat. Whent to work for medical device manufacturer as a senior equipment technician fixing the production equipment, designing upgrades to equipment, and validating machines and processes. Learned the meaning of red tape in a big company that is FDA regulated. Trust me, it's amazing that drugs or medical devices ever make it to market in the US.

Left after 3 years and no advancement do to my political incorrectness and their social engineering (I had exceeds expectations for every section of all my reviews).

Work now at a medical device manufacturer~ started as a equipment technician and now work as an equipment engineer and supervisor.

Svashtar said:
Yvsa, you left yourself wide open on that one so I was just ribbing you a bit. (-: You said you were an "old cantankerous bastard" at times, and I said you weren't that old...;) :D

Bu, bu, bu, but, I've always been a cantankerous bastard, never knew anything different.:p

;) :D

Let me see if I can dredge up some memories

Cutting peoples yards

Became a GI Brat @ Williams AFB,AZ
Bicylcle Paper Boy, peddled my A$$ all over Williams AFB, delivering AVG 135 papers in the AM before HS and 232 papers after HS
Dishwasher at the NCO Club. Quit as they were charging me for meals, when I didn't eat. Club Policy
Busboy/Dishwasher the the BX Cafeteria. Gawd I hated the evening movie crowd, using their coffe cups for ash trays.

Wanted to stay in AZ and work my way thru College, My stepdad was being transferred to Delaware, didn't want me in AZ by myself. Thought I might fall into the wrong influence. Gave me choice, come with them or join the Service. The day I left for the AF training, the movers were packing the furniture for Delaware.
All through HS I had taken College Prep Courses. I wanted to either become a Psychogist or Veternarian. See below

Took a Flight Physical for Air born radio operator based on my testing scores. Failed due to 70% obstruction in my left nostril, which would interfere with oxygen mask breathing. Aledged small op that they couldn't do at Parks AFB and not have time for during my Basic Training.
Selected for the Nuclear Weapons Field. Unclassified description: Inspect, test, modify, prepare for strike, sometimes load on ACFT, etc. Retired as SMSGT Nuclear Weapons Supt, 24 years , 12 overseas.

Bartender/part time Mgr, Beer and Liq receipts after retirement. 18 mos
Material Control Supervisor with a local company processing printed circuit boards from raw material thru assembly (stuffing) soldering, to shipping . In from IBM, build and process and ship back to IBM. Had a receiving section and shipping section, plus 8 expeditors to move and monitor lots thru the production line, plus DISCUSSING things with a very hard nosed demanding manager at IBM in Tucson. Co eventually lost contract. IBM squeezes the little companies until they get blood and than drops you.
Got back into the Lounge/Package Store Business for my old boss. Put the business back on its feet and than he sold it.

Leased my own Lounge/Package Store down the street for 10 years. Ever see the movie 'Road House'? To be polite a mexican national clientele. Live bands Fri Sat Sun. Leasee/parttime bartender/ and doorman, Wherever the need. 10 years , 12 tires slashed thru the sidewall, two windshields knocked out, two side windows knocked out, and one time my headlights. One truck stolen and vandalized. Personally, torn rotator cuff in left and right shoulders, pulled ligaments from my left knee, and was stabbed thru the double stitching of my belt loop, thru my belt, missing my vital organs but punctured my intestine. I"m still here. I achieved my goal. Psychologist /Veternarian. Analyze the customers and deal with the animals!!!!!!!!
Financed my son into the roofing business. NEVER loan money to Family. He tried to go too far, too fast, .......
1993, Mom was widowed. Lived by herself for two years, than I had to become a full time caregiver in 95. AZ/Dementia, 3 back ops, two hip replacements, Glaucoma, Hearing, Diabetic, etc. Keeps me pretty well grounded for other things. I do pay a lady on Tues and Wed to give me some respite relief to take care of personal things, after so many years. This 24/7 stuff is for the birds. Otherwise /It is a high source of vacuum/
I'm 68 and Mom is 89 and still kicking.

The Cantina/HI forum gives me an outlook on other peoples lives.

Ad Astra said:
graphic artist.
How's that going Ad, since that's the sort of direction I wanna go in life :)

Anything would be good to hear, just nice to get some input from someone who's ''been there, done that''

For the moment, I'm just a lowly student, taking Business studies, ICT, media, and fine art :eek:

Crushenator 500 said:
How's that going Ad, since that's the sort of direction I wanna go in life :)
It's fun, as jobs go, but doesn't pay well. :( Maybe on Madison Ave., but getting there ain't easy.

Quark & PhotoShop are the oceans you swim in. Art School epiphany: after an expensive education, finding out that there is no right or wrong; all art is subjective. Meaning, whatever the paying client likes is right. So much for training.

I had a pretty good career doing it: cruise lines, national pizza, tire & sunglass chains. Bacardi rum. Worked with brillliant people, way better than me. Still, the money was made in printing, not creative. And THEN by salespeople, mostly with T&A. They'll drive Lexus' (Lexii?) you won't.

I don't encourage people I like to pursue graphic arts as a career. You need to earn decent money. I read a couple others in this thread are GA's, maybe they'll chime in something positive.

Ad Astra

Ad Astra said:
... after an expensive education, finding out that there is no right or wrong; all art is subjective.

Ad Astra

I wonder how many words could replace 'art' in the above sentence?

Ad Astra said:
It's fun, as jobs go, but doesn't pay well. :( Maybe on Madison Ave., but getting there ain't easy.

Quark & PhotoShop are the oceans you swim in. Art School epiphany: after an expensive education, finding out that there is no right or wrong; all art is subjective. Meaning, whatever the paying client likes is right. So much for training.

I had a pretty good career doing it: cruise lines, national pizza, tire & sunglass chains. Bacardi rum. Worked with brillliant people, way better than me. Still, the money was made in printing, not creative. And THEN by salespeople, mostly with T&A. They'll drive Lexus' (Lexii?) you won't.

I don't encourage people I like to pursue graphic arts as a career. You need to earn decent money. I read a couple others in this thread are GA's, maybe they'll chime in something positive.

Ad Astra
Thanks for the advice, I never saw anyone else who was a GA in this thread, but it would be good to hear their opinions too :)

Maybe I should go into animation or something instead :D

Crush, sorry if I was a little down on it. Local newspaper pays a graphic artist $18K to start- arond $9/hr. For that, you need a degree, experience, and a skill level in the progams, plus some talent for it. $9/hr.

Taco Bell was hiring at $9.53. Lowes $10-11.

Graphic artist with 20 yrs exp.- $9/hr.

See what I mean?

Ad Astra

To end happy: I ditched that, and now have a great job as a military contractor/public affairs/media related kinda job. Coworkers are special forces, green beret, Marines. And I'm going to be flying at an upcoming Blue Angels air show as a media observer. The pay's decent too.

:p

Graphic artist with 20 yrs exp.- $9/hr.
Yikes:( I'm not a GA, but that still is too bad. I feel better about my educator salary I guess...

How to make a good living without selling out, that is the question.

Or maybe the answer is to be happy with less, or to realize that what I have now is a lot.

Personal growth is great, but it's not a comfortable process. I would compare it to walking around in a wetsuit filled with vaseline and gravel:D :barf: Bet you've NEVER heard that expression before!!;)

and yet, and yet, and yet...

...try finding a really good graphic artist. It is very, very difficult. Maybe you can pay one $9 per hour, but you can't find a good one very easily, and when you do, you can tack on a trailing zero to this hourly wage...if you are so fortunate.

...speaking of experience.

My list of professional titles past and present: juvenile delinquent, dishwasher, busboy, burger flipper, firefighter, submarine sailor, construction laborer, coin processing plant mechanic, health physics technician, construction quality assurance inspector, musician, safety and environmental compliance officer, planning and zoning commissioner, park ranger, city councilman, motorboat license examiner, recreation manager...

...and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. :rolleyes:

Back