Kinda OT?: What do you do / have done?

In chronological order, with a fair bit of overlap:

waiter
cellist
student (political science, music, theology, international relations)
p/t opera singer
counsellor
minister
bureaucrat of varying descriptions (senior policy analyst in child welfare, education, post-secondary education, intergovernmental relations, and health)

also, for fun I'm a sometime folk-musician, singing teacher, piano teacher, boat-builder, and have now renovated my 4th antique house. This one is 150 years old!

and most importantly, a dad to 3 and spouse to 1.

Tom.

What an amazing array of backgrounds on the forum - I never would have guessed it.

I've been a foodhandler in an Army Mess Hall, foodhandler/dishwasher/janitor in a girl's college dorm (lousy pay but nice benefits), gardener/janitor in an Elk's club, a lab assistant in a Botany lab, a cleaner of experimental animal cages in a University.
The last 25 years I've been a Family Physician and an acupuncturist. (Maybe not as much fun as my previous jobs but perhaps pays a little better.)

Wow, what a great thread! Whoever thought of it must be a genius! :D
;)

Seriously, comparing yourself to the accomplishments of others can be very destructive. I look at people exactly my age like Bill Gates and Mel Gibson, etc., and wonder how I have managed to waste so much time. Essentially my 20's were wasted, and I haven't done many many things I set out to do. My 3 day trip to the SWKK was my first "vacation" since a 3 day trip to Disneyland in 1992 with the kids, and I have many regrets in that regard. I have to make time for the "little things" in life, as work seems to have filled so much of it.

At this point, I have to do something massive and out of the box. Just sitting here thinking about having to go into work tomorrow and face this miserable b&*ch that "manages" me, who has 1/4th my managment experience, and none of my professional QA experience or any education whatsoever, is making me literally sick. God knows what new insanity she is hatching up to spring on me in the morning.

I've been venting here off and on and probably boring the hell out of you guys (I remind myself of the star on "Airplane" who picks hapless passengers to tell his troubles to! Hopefully none of you folks are getting ready to pour gasoline on yourselves. (-:), but this is getting to the point where I can't manage it either emotionally or physically. I may just have to quit outright, but don't know how I would make it for long as there would be no unemployment.

I can't leave the job because I need the work, but I can't work in the current environment! I have been working at least 40 hours per week for 32 years now, and thought I had seen everything, but this beats it all.

My next plan is to get some of her nail clippings and hair and do a little ritual I read about. Gotta get a live chicken first though...

Anyway, please keep the Bios coming. I enjoy learning about such a diverse group of people who share the same love of knives, and HI knives in particular, and the breadth of professions is amazing.

Regards,

Norm

munk said:
Tom,
That's an interesting background. Are you still a Minister?

munk
Not officially. Though it's the "family business" (my Dad, my brother, and met my wife in theology school) I have problems with the institutional church. Though there are striking exceptions, most congregations spend too much time caring for themselves, and not enough time caring for the world. I also think that having a "professional christian" on staff lets folks off the hook - it's an individual's responsibility to act, to learn, to pray ... it's not sufficient to just pay someone else to do those things. As my Dad once said: "We're all children of God, but God's got no grandchildren." It's up to us to cultivate that relationship for ourselves.

So while I'm active now as a lay-person, I've given up the minister gig, except for the occasional bit of supply duty when someone's got to be out of town.

Lion's Roar said:
Norm - BTDT, get another job and don't let give yourself any reasons why you can't.

Will do. I'm on it right now, just need a place to jump to. Salary isn't a huge issue, just obviously need a certain amount to pay the bills. At this point I would be willing to sacrifice $15-$20K to be able to leave.

It's ironic; this place has 1000 people. I manage 24 now doing 20 projects concurrently, of which 15 are direct-report employees eligible for one of the 12 employee of the month slots available each year. So far this year, 3 of the employees of the month have come from my group of 15. So 25% of all 2005 EOM are coming from a pool that is 1.5% of the population of those eligible, and not once but three times. I don't know what the odds are on that. I'm proud as hell of these people.

You would think that says something about my managment and motivational skills, and that I would at least have the team recognized, but not here. I have built a team of kick-ass thoroughbreds and treat them that way, and they work their asses off for me.

My incompetent micro-managing boss (formerly a peer who after 21 years at the same company still only manages 1 project and 6 people) hates this, and as there is a QA Director position vacant she is doing her best politically to make my life a living hell and to discredit me with upper management to ensure she gets the position for which she is not qualified. Unfortunately the management decision makers are brand new and only see that she has a lot of energy and sucks up constantly, which is why she was made "acting" director. Lies and character assasinations abound. Her energy is toxic and negative, and productivity has actually decreased because of her posturing royal edicts.

At this point I am just looking to escape with my sanity intact.

Thanks for the support.

Norm

I'm sorry it's so bad, Norm. I've been there.

Anyway you can talk to the Brass?

I also hope you are now documenting the woman's moves vs reality.

munk

four years in the Army and 30 years working for Western Electric/At&t/Lucent as an Installer, Supervisor, Project Manager, Quality Control Consultant. Now retired and picking my nose.

That's easy...

Bruise is a professional Cantinista.

Svashtar said:
Wow, what a great thread! Whoever thought of it must be a genius! :D
;)
Seriously, comparing yourself to the accomplishments of others can be very destructive.

Regards,

Norm

Yea it could be very destructive if you just dealt with the success that some folks have had in their lives more than others.
But standing back looking at what I did to make a living over the years....
When I finally learned my trade and what it was about I became one of the more successful in the field I chose.
Lots of young men without a high school or college education wind up on a farm somewhere and a few thought that I was headed that way.
I've said before here that I was a big ol' dumb kid that didn't have a role model to follow so I had to make my way the best I could, at least I got to choose my trade instead of my trade choosing me.:thumbup: :D
I suppose I could've owned my own shop and made a couple of million and been better off materially than I am today but I doubt very much if I would've been could've been happier.

But success isn't all about just making a living...
I've had the time off and the freedom to walk the woods and fields. fish in all kinds of rivers and streams from the muddy tu*d creek for catfish to the clear mountain stream for trout.
I had the time to commune with nature and get close to the beliefs of my people.
Hunted lots of different game and chose to let the only deer go that was in my sights one year in order to pick up one that had been shot the day before and had her stomach and part of a hindquarter eaten by a possum but was still good meat that would've gone to waste if I hadn't of made that choice.

When I was younger I often said that if I could save the life of even one person then my role here would be fulfilled, and thanks to the Great Mystery and Grandfather I have.
Actually I've been put in a place to save people physically from self destructive behavior several times as well as pull a couple of youngens out of a swimmin hole when they got into trouble by not paying attention and disobeying their siblings.
Nothing is more gratifying than saving another person's life IMO and I'm proud to have been in the right place at the right time to do so.
One of our friends in our Sweatlodge circle lost his daughter in a car wreck a few years back. His step daughter was driving and his other daughter was right next to the one killed, terrible one car accident on a wet slippery country road at night.:(
He later came to me and thanked me for being there for him and saving him from his self destructive tendencies at the time. At the time he was hurt so deeply that he would have rather died than live after that and was seriously considering suicide.
And I don't have a clue as to what I did, I was just there for him and his family.

Other accomplishments I've had a hand in is saving a couple of marriages for folks who were deeply in love and yet had made mistakes. The couples were able to forgive one another and go on with their lives and are still living together and very happily married once again. Money and material things just can't compete with things of the heart and life, at least not in my opinion.
But I'm just a man, and an old cantankerous bastard a lot of the time.
I don't know what the Great Mystery and Grandfather sees in me but help me they have, as I can't take the credit for doing any of the things I've had a hand in. I was just in the right place at the right time with the right words and genuinely care for people.
I feel very fulfilled and very successful to have come from where I came, to where I am now.
A great deal of success lies in the journey.:thumbup: ;) :D

Yvsa, whenever I see that you've posted, I read it. I always learn something valuable from you.

Thank you, and blessings.

Nam

Yvsa said:
I suppose I could've owned my own shop and made a couple of million and been better off materially than I am today but I doubt very much if I would've been could've been happier.

But success isn't all about just making a living...
I've had the time off and the freedom to walk the woods and fields. fish in all kinds of rivers and streams from the muddy tu*d creek for catfish to the clear mountain stream for trout.
I had the time to commune with nature and get close to the beliefs of my people.
Hunted lots of different game and chose to let the only deer go that was in my sights one year in order to pick up one that had been shot the day before and had her stomach and part of a hindquarter eaten by a possum but was still good meat that would've gone to waste if I hadn't of made that choice.

I envy you this more than you know Yvsa. I would be very happy to have had any of this.

But I'm just a man, and an old cantankerous bastard a lot of the time.

Gee Yvsa, you're not that old...! :D

Public Works director for a historic city in South Florida

also part time martial arts teacher

Svashtar said:
Gee Yvsa, you're not that old...! :D

Norm, I just turned 65 last March 1st so will soon be 66. Not that old but I have more miles on me than 10 average men and Lulu.;) :D

Thanks for the kind words.:thumbup:

Svashtar said:
... but this is getting to the point where I can't manage it either emotionally or physically. I may just have to quit outright, but don't know how I would make it for long as there would be no unemployment.

Good luck to you Norm.

I've been there. I quit my job when I had a baby, a pregnant wife, and no other job to go to. Bye bye wages and insurance. No unemployment for me either, because I quit. My daughter was delivered at home by an unemployed father. She's largely composed of poached deer meat because that's what we were eating.

We all made it through. I've never regretted leaving that job.

Gee, what have I done for $$?

paper boy
cut grass
babysitter
pumped gas/lube/oil/tires/etc
poultry slaughter house porcessing line
mechanic's helper
drillpress/punchpress operator
truck driver
sold fireworks
dug ditches to irrigate orange groves
picked oranges
cleaned apartments
demolition/salvage of industrial equipment
taught history
wrote grant applications
edited college papers
drafted legislation
attorney

janitor at a day camp. i got pnemonia and couldnt do it anymore.
changed lightbulbs at Bloomingdales. very easy job, just repetative and boring
currently in college now, majoring in Physical Education. I hope to be a gym teacher at a high school some day, hopefully at the one i went to.

Back