King and Queen Killed by Prince

NBC reports that the King and Queen of Nepal have both been killed by the Crown Prince. In addition they report he has killed 7 others including another Prince. Violence all over the world and now this. Reports are preliminary at this time.

According to CNN.com Crown Prince Dipendra shot and killed at least nine members of the royal family, then shot himself. The multiple murder/suicide was apparently brought on by the Queen's disapproval of the Prince's bride to be.
I'm not familiar with the social/political climate of Nepal as it relates to the figurehead monarchy, but they just lost the whole royal family.
Disturbing to say the least.

I wish to express my sorrow and deepest sympathy to the people of Nepal, at home and abroad, in response to this tragic event. The world is lessened by this senseless act
of violence.

Bad news on many counts...and, unfortunately, a possible advantage for the insurgents, I think. Uncle Bill, if things get bad in Nepal and you happen to think of some way this group can help BirGorkha or Nepalese in general, don't hesitate to mention it here...

A tragedy indeed.

Ditto on Irregular's offer...if this should affect your people in any way, please let us know.

I'm also stunned. Just stunned. For some reason I can't help but think of the blessing the Kamis put on the blades they send us, and how remote those sentiments must seem at a time like this. Bill, any idea how this will affect Nepal as a whole, especially in regard to the insurgent elements?

Tom

I just saw this on TV about 20 minutes ago. It was the leading news story here in Japan. I had to come check here because I wasn't sure I was hearing it right.

I cannot believe it. My sincerest sympathies to the people of Nepal, and the lovers of Nepal here.

Eric Takabayashi
Fukuyama, Japan

I am both shocked and disgusted, if I had not been a regular in the forum I would not feel the way I do. However, I am serious in saying that my blades from Uncle have changed me, not just from the calouses on my hands, but I have developed a sense of honor and respect towards the men who had made such great works of art. My condolences to the people of Nepal.

Nepal Ho

Dave:

I believe I know exactly how you feel. I've spent hours on the HI site and FAQ, which led me to every other site I could find for information on this country and culture.I feel I've learned more on Nepal and in a shorter time than any subject I've ever undertaken. I've begun to feel some sort of kinship, however vague, with those who can make blades with spirits, under conditions as tenuous as they are in Nepal. With their toughness of spirit, they will come through this as well, I am sure, but it will take, perhaps, all they can muster and all the smoke we can send their way.

Nepal Ho, indeed

First reaction -- absolute shock.

Second reation -- A rush of sadness -- Against my own beliefs I happened to like the king and thought the country was better off when he was in charge. On a personal note, he gave a royal blessing to every US Peace Corps volunteer who served in Nepal. He was a decent man and did his best against heavy odds. I do not share these sentiments in regard to many of the high and mighty in Nepal.

Third reaction -- implications. This event could lead to a bloody power struggle and to chaos of every sort. I am concerned about family and friends in Nepal.

Fourth reaction -- contingency plans.

When things go wrong you must come to grips with the situation and deal with it. If things go wrong in Nepal after this tragedy what am I ,personally, going to do about it? First, I'll try to get the family and friends out of Nepal and into India.

Second, I'll try to get the kamis, their families, and all those associated with BirGorkha in any way out of Nepal and into India.

Third, I'm a hardhead and I ain't going down and neither is any of mine until the last dog is dead. The family, kamis and other faithful employees of BirGorkha if relocated to India are going to need a way to survive so BirGorkha will be uprooted from Surya Benai to Darjeeling. That's where we'll go. It is next door to Nepal and looks and feels like Nepal and there are a lot of Nepalis living there. Home away from home. So, BirGorkha and everything and everybody will survive. And, so will HIKV sufferers.

Fifth consideration -- Why?

From a personal viewpoint I think that telling another person who to marry and how to live his or her life is a sin. But not everybody shares this belief and in Nepal arranged marriages are still the norm even though I think this practice has been outlawed.

I've seen so many of these arranged marriages turn into disasters that I am not surprised with this event. It is a matter of suspicions confirmed.

Sixth consideration -- what positive can come out of this?

First -- maybe everybody in Nepal will see that the old system of arranged marriages is not the way to go. Abandon it.

Second -- this event takes out of consideration the royalty and forces an immediate action to mold the future of Nepal's political system. If it goes the way I'd like it to then this tragic event could turn into a blessing for the people -- and this might be the best thing the royal family has ever done for the country and people of Nepal.

I pray it works this way but if it doesn't start looking for Nepali khukuris made in India.

Sorry this is so long winded but it is something that is simply a part of me.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (33,000 + posts)
Himalayan Imports Shopping Site

[This message has been edited by Bill Martino (edited 06-01-2001).]

Thank you for your thoughts, Uncle Bill, and A PLAN!! We're no good as packers or porters, but if it comes to it, we just might be good movers and shakers. The thing with the generator was business, as you pointed out. This is family. Count us cuzzins in, wherever we might help.

In the event of a "popular uprising" educated persons and those having contacts with the west will be at increased risk. If there is need to start a war chest please count me in. I may not be able to give much but if enough people respond no one should have too.

Prayers for peace, of sadness, and although I can't understand how, prayers of hope.

Bill, like Ron and the others, I may not be able to give very much, but I will give my part should the need arise.

Bob

------------------
The Milk Snake: Beautiful, harmless, good-natured, eats venomous snakes for lunch.

What a ridiculous waste. Now where did that man leave his bride-to-be? And his country? Just when you think you've seen everything, something comes along and lets you know you just don't know a thing.

As to our boys at BirGorkha . . . No way we can leave them in the soup if it goes bad. I'm sure I can scrape up a few dollars here or there. And if worse comes to worst and somebody needs to come through BWI, I could probably lend a back and some shoulders, too.

Keep us posted, Uncle. We're on the go-button.

Back