Knife confessions

Anyone else have a knife confession they want to admit to? Not a bashing thread, not necessarily a I hate this feature thread. Knives or styles that just don’t do it for you, feel free to buck the norm. Justify your statements if you wish but not required.

For me I don’t car for SAKs nor Puukko knives.

The lightweight and hard plastic scales of a SAK just don’t feel good in my hand.

The style of most Puukko knives really turn me off. The rounded handle and handle to blade ratio doesn’t appeal to me. Most having a substantial palm swell while tapering towards both ends isn’t something I like at all. The first thing I think of when I see them is a sharpened oyster knife.

Anyone else have a knife confession they want to admit to? Not a bashing thread, not necessarily a I hate this feature thread. Knives or styles that just don’t do it for you, feel free to buck the norm. Justify your statements if you wish but not required.

For me I don’t car for SAKs nor Puukko knives.

The lightweight and hard plastic scales of a SAK just don’t feel good in my hand.

The style of most Puukko knives really turn me off. The rounded handle and handle to blade ratio doesn’t appeal to me. Most having a substantial palm swell while tapering towards both ends isn’t something I like at all. The first thing I think of when I see them is a sharpened oyster knife.

Hah, I'm the exact opposite. I love the utility and blade grind of a SAK, and the handle shape of puukos.

My knife confessions? I hate thick blades and grinds, scandi grinds (my dream knife is essentially a flat ground Mora), and things that don't slice well.

Number 2, my favorite knives can be had for $25. Two layer SAKs and Classics, mid-sized Opinels, Moras, the Avispa, they feel good in hand, and have pretty good blade grinds that I like. Took me about 13 years to come to this conclusion ;)

Modern puukkos are a development of centuries old knife design. They are quite refined once you learn what they are made for. Although I own a museum-quality example, I have no daily use for one.

On topic, I don’t care for thumb studs, I dislike many (modern) traditionals, and the appeal of CRK escapes me.

Last edited:
I confess that you are wrong.
The puukko cuts super well and its design and style grows on you.
Check out this stunning example in M4 at 62 hardness.
I appreciate it all the more since I tried to make one and found the blade to handle junction tricky given the rhomboid shape.
zCuJyFh.jpg

Hah, I'm the exact opposite. I love the utility and blade grind of a SAK, and the handle shape of puukos.

My knife confessions? I hate thick blades and grinds, scandi grinds (my dream knife is essentially a flat ground Mora), and things that don't slice well.

Number 2, my favorite knives can be had for $25. Two layer SAKs and Classics, mid-sized Opinels, Moras, the Avispa, they feel good in hand, and have pretty good blade grinds that I like. Took me about 13 years to come to this conclusion ;)

Yeah, this!!!

I had thick blades like the saber grind blades back in the 60's and they just didn't cut well. Give me a nice thin flat grind blade any day.

Second, I can't see the one of all things Randall. Had a few, and they were the biggest disappointment of my knife collecting. Thick wedgie blades that were clumsy and unnecessarily heavy. Add to mix just oaky steel, and moderate edge holding and my infatuation died a quick death.

SAK's- Victorinox needs to ditch the g-- d--m hollow cheap cellidor plastic they use. They've cheapened it up over the past few design changes so if the SAK gets dropped on a tile kitchen or bathroom floor, you can expect a good size piece of handle scale to depart. In this day and age with all kinds of very durable synthetic materials, there is zero excuse for Victorinox to be using a fragile scale material. Especially how its been hollowed out for faster and cheaper molding. Look at the Gerber LST and Buck mini buck with the synthetic scales that are extremely durable.

Victorinox needs to wake up!

edit to add; the Victorinox classic is the most under estimated pocket knife on earth.

J
Damn I missed one, Opinels. Not to solely be a contrarian(because I know how many love Opinels), I just can’t get over the folding fillet knife looks of them.

Me too. I flatten out the slight up sweep of the tip by filing down the spine near it until it's more or less straight. Worked beautifully with a No 9 and a couple 8s I used to have.

I too love and enjoy SAKs and Puukko.

The only thing I don't care for

1) Small unusable finger 'choil' or large ricasso on a small 3-4 in folding knife. There are some choils that are nicely done such as CS Tufflite or Spyderco Lil Native. But many choils(1/2-3/4in) are way too small to properly fit an average index finger, too large as a sharpening choil, while wasting valuable cutting edge.

2) Over-"jimped" I never quite understand why the need for aggressive jimping under flipper tab, it is a total nail puller.

I have to say that anything COMPRESSION LOCK is a no go for me. It seems to be cheap and flimsy- I can’t stand the looks of it!

I feel like there is only one way to carry a Canadian belt knife.:D If I put it in my pack for transplantation I might anger the knife Gods!

Lastly- anything that has “scour sniper“ or “operator” in the description I won’t buy.

Back