Knife confessions

I find a incredible dislike for blade length under 3.25 or oal under 8 inches.
It has made finding knives I like more difficult.
Sans traditional folders slip joints- case etc...

I also don't grasp sak love.
It doesn't bother me that other people like them. I just don't see the draw to them.
Unless maybe you are macgyver ?

For me, it is the thin grind and the scissors.

However, confession number 3, I hate the scissors on just about all my Leatherman tools, particularly the Micra. Doesn't cut smurf.

Ooooh fun thread!

Hinderer is a business genius. He took the Barbie doll model where you can buy one template and then buy variety of scales, hardware and lanyards, so you can play dress up for your knife. He pioneered midtech/custom knives from a lump-sum purchase into a long-term subscription. Respect.

Every Gareth Bull knife had already been done by Chris Reeve and Trevor Burger.

The 940 is terrible. The blade height is too short for the grind to fulfill clear cutting geometry. Either reduce blade stock or full-flat grind it. A Higonokami/Douk-Douk/Mercator are just as light, less blade-play and are $150 less.

On the other hand, complaints about Benchmade Bugout handle weakness and flex is overblown. The complaints pit it up against fixed blade strength standards. In general, blade centering complaints about Benchmade is over-fuss.

Taichung Spyderco's surpassed CRK in value years ago.

I only own one WE product now, but they are the new king on grounds of sheer product plurality and quality.

Counterfeiters are maximum scumbags. But objectively, high-end established clones are 95% quality of the originals- clones being defined as unbranded and not claiming credit.

I personally am indifferent to clones of makers who show up as BAD in our GBU.

scandi grinds. I used to make all my knives this way in my younger years. they are such poor slicers compared to say a high saber or flat grind.

the handles of almost all folders, especially the "tacticool" ones. I just cant find then comfortable to use. I look at them and get turned off before even holding them

squared off plunge lines. I hate the way they look. even when taken all the way to the top as in full flat grind. I love rounded ones only

I also used to think "thick" was cool or better. now thin is in

I've made some knives without plunge lines because I messed it up and had to grind them away and I am too poor to have the means of starting over most of the time

On the subject of puukkos, I'm not a fan of the traditional puukko sheath. My Kellam Wolverine rides in a Bradford G3 sheath; and I requested a basic pouch sheath when I ordered a puukko from Malanika

I have many specific characteristics I don't care for. First and foremost, I hate stag and horn...not because it's from an animal but because it's brittle and I simply don't find it attractive. I have a few bone-handled knives but I won't buy that material anymore because I prefer Micarta or g10 or wood. I hate anything in yellow; it looks terrible to me. Knives with decorative holes (like in the shape of an animal) are unappealing. I'd never buy anything in an Indian motif, like Yellowhorse does. That's not my thing. I hate really fancy or arty looking knives...ones with polished stone handles or elaborate damascus or lots of decorations or depictions of dragons or horses. To me the Bud-K crap looks as silly as some multi-thousand dollar customs do. I also don't like hidden-tang fixed blades. Oops..I forgot pearl handles. I wouldn't buy anything with it...it looks feminine to me and it's too delicate. I'm sure there's more but that's enough for now.

Round 2: Assisted opening is a deal breaker. I am uninterested in the trapper pattern (unless it has a wharncliffe blade), and anything from ch!na is on my won't buy list.

Last edited:
I don’t like locking knives. Except for my auto hubertus.
I don’t like toothpick or powder horn knives.
I don’t like muskrat knives.
Not a big fan of modern folders either, I do like my UKPK by Spyderco.
I love my sak knives, but have carried an alox one for a number of years now.
Not a big fan of fixed blades, but I have a handful and use them on occasion.

if you've paid more than $200 for a knife you're an idiot (I've done it multiple times), sebenzas suck, my SAKs are all over 20 years old with no issues, cold steel is junk, super steels have ruined my brain because the reality is I don't need m390 but anything below s30v seems useless yet you really don't "need" anything more than 1095 or 420c, safe queens are for queens, wire clips need to go away, I still use gerbers that I've had for years, I love case knives but they dull after you've sliced into butter, why is anything anodized, there's a zombie hunter in my collection somewhere, has anyone ever used a throwing knife and stuck it in the target past ten feet in the history of human beings, all my fixed blades are stored in the sheath and not a single one has ever had a single rust issue in over 30 years, a knife is a tool not a weapon you morons, still hate sharpening serrations, why would you use anything except a utility knife/razor blade to cut cardboard, I once dropped a knife and it stuck in my foot, exacto blades still cause bad memories, I like cleavers....man I could do this all day!!!! oh and all you guys who have got your lady interested in knives I'm jealous....mine hates knives now because she still can not to this day figure out liner locks

I do not understand art knives, while some are interesting to look at, most belong in a museum, not a collection to be used. Dan graves are an exception, look nice and still useable, my opinion only. And there is something simple and yet beautiful in Horsewright knives, stylish and yet to be used. One thing I do not understand is how some knife stores or online retailers will sell really inexpensive knives with gaps, uneven grinds, warped scales, bent liners etc etc, just known quality issues.....in the hopes they will sell because they are so cheap. I am talking gas station stuff. Tried to be somewhat positive rather than just stating dislikes.

Um, I like 'em all except for those in poor steel/shoddy construction/design... so my confession is I have way more than I need.

For me I don’t car for SAKs nor Puukko knives.

The lightweight and hard plastic scales of a SAK just don’t feel good in my hand.

everyone knows the only good SAK is the ALOX handle SAK... right?
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL3Nhay9pbWFnZXMvNTM5NjQuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZSI6IHsid2lkdGgiOiAyMjAsImhlaWdodCI6IDIyMCwiZml0IjogImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIjogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

I now (again) live on a farm after being in the city for 13years. I use my knives now more than ever and primarily use cheeper knives (mora /SAK). All of my $400+ knife ("hard use") knives were city buys when I really didn't have a use for them. Now that I use my knives a Iot i almost never buy anything beyond $200 and exclusively use slipjoints......

Back