Knife for bears

The poster said he hurt himself using the bear spray. But the bear obviously did not attack, I'd call that a win. If I had the choice I'd take the bear spray in my eyes over the bear in my face. So I'd say stick with the spray it was affective when you used it last, yes you may have got yourself with some spray back but the bear left the area and your still alive. I also think that in the rare times you will need to use the bear spray you won't spray yourself often, that was probably a fluke. If you want to carry a knife then that's up to you, as people have said I'd say at least 10" if not more but I wouldn't give up on the spray either. Having more then one option is the best and trying to stop the bear from a distance seems like a better option then a knife right up close. But I'd sat do as you please I know I always carry bear spray, haven't had to use it yet but I'd rather that then a knife.

The length of knife you would need to get through the hide, muscles and ribs to reach the heart would be proportional to the size of the bear. Black bears of a large size you would need to have a 12 to 20 inch knife just to be conservative leaving you some room up to the hilt. Grizzlies, browns, Kodiaks, Kamchatka's and polars you should plan on bringing along a full sword...one made for a deep thrust.

Yes, agreed with funny postings above, even if you mortally wound a live and fully functional bear plan on getting your gluteus maximus handed to you and worse. If you live to tell the tale you will be remembered as the village idiot who should have left the fascination with heart stabbing a bear in his secret list of ideas to think about as you try to go to sleep. You have one thing right, American culture loves to flock to a good teasing session, being able to take it is part of our game. Don't take it to personally, we all have our own little ponderings that don't make lots of sense to other people. You just happen to be very up front about it.

...maybe you have an idea for the following: to reach the heart of an average sized man – from the medical view – you need around 3 inches. The carcass of a bear is said looks similar to that of human beings. So, especially after skining, what´s about the depth of the bears heart, anatomically? Only from this view, imho, it cannot be more than 8 inches max. ...

Please keep in mind that the old 19th century sword bayonets were designed to reach the vitals of a horse (to defend the infantry line against the cavalry charge) and those blades were 23" long.

You don't always get the best angle of attack and when it comes to bears you would be stepping well within range of 20 someodd claws and a powerfull set of jaws. If you are serious about the knife option, then I would recommend a spear. You can keep the cover on and use the thing as a walking stick until the need arises.

$(KGrHqR,!i4FB,q2pM2EBQjrnhZkcw~~60_1.JPG

n2s

....to reach the heart of an average sized man – from the medical view – you need around 3 inches.

Then I would say you only need a 3 inch knife. Be sure to get one that points toward you, with the handle where the blade would normally be. Unless you prefer the other option - being torn apart and eaten.

Please keep in mind that the old 19th century sword bayonets were designed to reach the vitals of a horse (to defend the infantry line against the cavalry charge) and those blades were 23" long.

You don't always get the best angle of attack and when it comes to bears you would be stepping well within range of 20 someodd claws and a powerfull set of jaws. If you are serious about the knife option, then I would recommend a spear. You can keep the cover on and use the thing as a walking stick until the need arises.

n2s

And the speed they have, watch when they go at each other.
They are just really,really fast for their size.

I tell you what works best after I run past all the other forum members who decided to stick around and attack. I figure the one it makes it back alive will have the answer.

HI Smithhammer, regarding to my question you see answers from 3 to 23 inches. You know, what I will say. What's your opinion?

HI Smithhammer, regarding to my question you see answers from 3 to 23 inches. You know, what I will say. What's your opinion?

Are you just trolling at this point? You're continuing to ask a question for which I've already made my opinion on the matter abundantly clear. Do whatever you want - the gene pool will get along just fine without you.

Hi upnorth, is it a joke or is if true? Which knife did you use and what's the length of the blade?

I was recently charged by a large black bear that me and two others came up on while hiking. We stopped when we saw it, it looked at one in our group and then charged. The two others ran, I pulled my 5.5 in blade and yelled "don't run" a few times. The bear stopped, looked at me, then turned around and walked away. When pulling the knife I remember wishing it was bigger, so I picked up a ka-bar big brother. It is a 9.5 inch (24.1 cm) blade, 0.165 inch (0.41 cm) thick, and feels light in the hand so it should qualify as fast like you want. I will carry this knife when hiking from now on.
Don't listen to everyone discouraging you to give up, when the bear charges you can either give up and die or pull a weapon in case making your self larger and louder doesn't work.

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/121

So...how does this story really have anything to do with a knife in your hand changing the result of a bear encounter? You didn't use the knife, and I'm fairly certain the bear couldn't have cared less that you pulled one out.

I'll say this - if a black bear attacked me for some reason, and I had no other means of fighting back except a knife, of course I would use it. But that doesn't mean that this would be my pre-planned means of defense against a bear, or that I'm going to put serious thought into what sort of "bear knife" I should carry. There's a big difference between something being the only option you have in desperation, and deliberately choosing that same option in anticipation.

On the other hand, when it comes to grizzlies, if you entertain the idea that a knife is a sane part of your prepared defense, then you have never spent much time around grizzlies.

And just for clarity - "making yourself larger and louder" is recommended with black bears. It is not what you want to do with grizzlies.

how big a knife do you need, to cut the thigh of your partner, bad enough that you can outrun him? :) Man, if you get into it with a 1000 lb bear with nothing more than a knife, the best use for a blade would be to stab yourself in the temple, and save yourself the agony.

If you are serious about defending yourself against bears in the wild, get another big can of bear pepper spray(best option) or a rifle(2nd best) or handgun (3rd best) and stop pretending like you're going to fight off an enraged grizzly bear with a frickin' knife!! That bear will throw you to the ground and squash your guts out so fast you wont even have a chance to try to shove your knife through his thick hide. Even if you do manage to use your knife, what chance do you think you stand at instantly stopping him from tearing you to shreds??! Wouldnt you rather defend against bears over a long distance with the possibility of getting spray in your eyes? Or do close quarters with the possibly of getting mauled sound better to you?

Contrary to popular belief, you dont have to nail them in the face with the spray to prevent an attack before it ever starts!
A bears nose is extremely sensitive, and thats the reason bear sprays are so effective. As soon as you see a bear, you spray a couple bursts in his direction to get the stuff dispersed in the air. All it takes is one whiff of that tingling burning pepper spray for them to decide youre not worth it!

I have no experience dealing with bears. But honestly there is no knife you can buy that will help you against a 250-600 lb animal. Even a black beat which is small when considering other bears is 250 lbs, a 250 lb bear is MUCH stronger than a 250 lb human. One misconception people make is that they compare he weight and strength of humans to that of animals. Animals can weigh less and still be twice as fast and twice as strong as a human. Not to mention they have razor sharp claws and teeth. A chimpanzee may be smaller than an adult male but is much stronger.

If we are talking about black bears then maybe a large Bowie or some sort of fighter knife. If we are talking about larger bears like grizzly bears then you're going to need a sword or a spear, or even both and even then... You aren't as strong or as fast as a bear. Humans who have experience with weapons such as spears and bows in a group may down a 600 lb bear. But one man alone? You implant your spear into the bear and you probably didn't hit their heart unless you were extremely lucky or extremely skilled. Even then - if you shoot a dear through the heart it still runs for 5-7 seconds. If you stab a bear through the heart you are obviously in range where 5-7 seconds if not more is more than enough time for you to be seriously injured. Lets say you get lucky and stab the bear in the heart, your sword or spear is stuck and he or she lunges forward causing you either to fall back on your ass you the weapon is taken out of your hand.

One slap from a bear and we are talking broken bones, deep lacerations, serious bruises! Bears fight each other and other animals inflicting this pain onto each other an do not run away at the first slap. They might limp away with serious wounds after they were bested or they die. Humans are at the top of the food chain because we are pack animals, a group of trained hunters with primitive weapons and the right tactics could probably scare off a bear or take it down, but this is still dangerous. The idea that one person can take on a bear with a knife? Even if you hurt it enough to scare it away you may have serious wounds - and now you are out in the wilderness badly injured, sounds like a horrible situation. Other predators like wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, bob cats, other bears, or even the same bear! May now sense you as wounded prey.

Lets be realistic here. You said you had to use the bear spray and obviously it deterred the bear, you may have sprayed yourself too but you had no serious injuries. Nothing that left you dying or disabled out in the woods. Even a sprained ankle or broken bone out on a hike can be a death sentence. Bear spray is effective because its something that bears are not used to encountering. Bears like grizzlies have evolved into apex predator and killing machines with thick hide, super strength, sharp claws and teeth. A chemical weapon that they have never encountered that causes them extreme pain, disorientation, and loss of vision is what scares them away.

If you are in a dangerous situation such as an encounter with a bear set on killing you if the worst thing that happens is you sprayed yourself too - then I would say job well done. A spear or sword is much better than a knife, and bear spray is better than a spear and knife. Not to mention if you love the wilderness then you should also love the predators as dangerous as they are. A non lethal weapon which can be deployed effectively and not be lethal to an animal is much better than killing an 'innocent' animal. And I say innocent because you are going into their territory, they are acting purely on the same instincts which allow them to survive in that habitat. Going into bear country with a high powered rifle and killing any bear you come across is just as bad as poaching.

I would stick with the bear spray, maybe get one of those nice long spear heads and attach it to a long stick and carry that with you as a secondary defense after you use your spray if the beat continues to attack. But your best defense is being aware of your surroundings, look for bear tracks, look for any sign of bears, and avoid them at all costs.

Back