Knife you're embarrased to own or admit purchasing?

I am not going to comment on the man, his motives, his reasons, or his character. It is water under the bridge.

What I will say is that I own several Strider and Mick Strider custom knives, and they are solid, quality tools and I am happy to own/use them. I am not embarrassed of them in any way.
I had to try just one Strider SMF. Just to see if it was as bad as some say. To my surprise it's really well made.

I had to try just one Strider SMF. Just to see if it was as bad as some say. To my surprise it's really well made.
At the risk of taking this thread off topic momentarily, I honestly don't recall anyone having issues with their SMF, or anyone saying it was "bad". Mine is flawless.

w9UtB5L.jpg

Last edited:
Not embarrassed to have owned but I'm embarrassed to say I bought a second one thinking it wasn't going to be as bad as the first. SOG Trident folders. Insane blade play that couldn't be corrected and they literally snapped in my hand both times.

At the risk of taking this thread off topic momentarily, I honestly don't recall anyone having issues with their SMF, or anyone saying it was "bad". Mine is flawless.
You mean in this thread, or just you never heard anyone anywhere at all have issues? I've read loads of everything possible negative about Strider's poor fit and finish and bad lockup. A lot of it was before they changed the lock geometry, but still I did buy one back in 2013 just to check it out, for myself and it's very well made.

In general, no - I've never heard anyone complain. Although I was away from this forum for several years, so I may have missed something. :)
It wasn't recent, at least not mostly.

This is exactly what I did...(only I didn't get stripes)

"I think what most people do is they call a dealer, talk to someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to Strider's knives, and they specify "I'm ready to give you my CC number for a $400 SMF. I want a good one. Smooth, no play, solid lock, I want the stripes to look good and I want the nicest one you have in stock..."

Last edited:
I owned a couple of those cheap out the front auto knives. They were complete junk, steel couldn't hold any sort of edge. Ended up breaking them and throwing them in the trash.

w9UtB5L.jpg

"Flawless" isn't the word I'd use. I love how it has, like 15 choils and is uglier than a really bad lie, like claiming to be a Ranger black bag Spec-Ops wizard so that Military guys will buy your knives. That sort of ugly. :)

Heh, Schrade Cliphanger hands down. Smoking turd of a knife.

Haven’t seen it for years and I’m hoping it’s lost forever, but it’s probably lying in wait to surprise me when I least expect it.
This cracked me up :D
Some stupid hollow handle "survival knife" from my youth fantasizing about Rambo
Surprisingly high number of people have these, I know a 24yo guy who came to me all excited as he finally bought his first "real knife" and behold - there is hollow handle "Rambo knife" made out of mystery steel with large stamp CHINA on the blade... to make it better - he got ripped off, he spent 60€ on that thing, he could have bought an actual decent knife for that money.

"Flawless" isn't the word I'd use. I love how it has, like 15 choils and is uglier than a really bad lie, like claiming to be a Ranger black bag Spec-Ops wizard so that Military guys will buy your knives. That sort of ugly. :)
And what's with all the numbers and letters all over the ti side? One would be too much, but four?

Regarding Strider knives I'll say that we are all different.

To me, they look over the top, but some love them because they are solid in use from their experience with them.

Someone is going to be a proud owner even of craziest mall ninja gas station knife, while I know a guy who was ashamed of owning Cold Steel once he saw their videos.

I also wonder why is CRKT being mentioned here? I'm not really experienced with them, but I believed they're solid.
Is there something I missed about them?

I had the worse edge roll from a CRKT folder. Just trying to cut green overgrowth caused it to fold right over. No other knife I've used for that didn't hold the edge and roll like that

This cracked me up :D

Surprisingly high number of people have these, I know a 24yo guy who came to me all excited as he finally bought his first "real knife" and behold - there is hollow handle "Rambo knife" made out of mystery steel with large stamp CHINA on the blade... to make it better - he got ripped off, he spent 60€ on that thing, he could have bought an actual decent knife for that money.
What I run into, I'll show one of my knives to a friend and they'll say, I have one just like it and pull out some five dollar gas station POS. I don't even try to explain the difference. They don't know and don't care to know.

To me, they look over the top, but some love them because they are solid in use from their experience with them.

Someone is going to be a proud owner even of craziest mall ninja gas station knife, while I know a guy who was ashamed of owning Cold Steel once he saw their videos.

I also wonder why is CRKT being mentioned here? I'm not really experienced with them, but I believed they're solid.
Is there something I missed about them?
CRKT has a long history of putting out knives that have a decent designer attached, but which are cheaply executed trash from China at best, and poorly made of low end materials at worst.

Surprisingly, nothing yet. If I continued to buy knives after my first CRKT M16 over a decade ago, while knife reviews were in their infancy, I probably would’ve made some bad decisions.

I bought 3-4 Smith & Wesson knives at once because I thought they were top of the line, you know, because Smith & Wesson. After coming here looking for positive reinforcement, I quickly realized the error of my ways.

Last edited:
Back