Knife you're embarrased to own or admit purchasing?

I will NEVER apologize for my childhood Rambo knife. Loved that thing, and built so many forts in the woods with it. I still remember being mad because my mom wouldn't let me wear it on my belt with my camo to my aunt's wedding when I was in the 3rd grade. "But mom, it's my button up camo shirt" 🤪

For me it's combo edged knives. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, but when I first got in the game I was buying the majority of my knives with them. Every once in a while I'll pick up an old Benchmade I haven't carried in a while, think to myself, "Maybe I'll give this old one some pocket time," only to open it and realize, "Oh yea." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"Flawless" isn't the word I'd use. I love how it has, like 15 choils and is uglier than a really bad lie, like claiming to be a Ranger black bag Spec-Ops wizard so that Military guys will buy your knives. That sort of ugly. :)
Have you used/held one? It is an ergonomically pleasing and functional design. You appear to have some old vendetta against Strider from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. The post is about the knife - not the man. And the knife is fine. Very fine.

Last edited:
Have you used/held one? It is an ergonomically pleasing and functional design. You appear to have some old vendetta's against Strider from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. The post is about the knife - not the man. And the knife is fine. Very fine.
I have. I think they're trash, personally. There are a ton of well-made knives that don't come from people who started a company based on stolen valor in order to make money off of a fictional past, so that's what I tend to carry. There is literally nothing special about anything he makes. How much money has he made off of the backs of people who thought they were buying something designed by a HSLD magician unit Operator? He'll never see a dollar from me, or many, many others here. I'm good with that. For what it's worth, there are plenty of other knife makers out there who have personalities that people don't like, like Lynn Thompson or Greg Medford. Personally, I'm not too bent out of shape about them, because those guys didn't create a huge persona based on a lie to sell knives, a persona based on sacrifices that actual heroes have made.

But hey, you enjoy your knife, that's fine. Nothing against you.

Edited to add: And let me address the REAL crux of your question. I wouldn't care if that knife was the best made knife on the planet (which it categorically is not), I still wouldn't own one, because every time I took it out, I'd think to myself "Hey Quiet, remember that time that Mickey Ray Burger spent time in jail for stealing a car, and when caught, decided to spin a story about how he was on some super secret Ranger mission? Heh, yeaaaahhhh, good times."

Hard pass.

This cracked me up :D

Surprisingly high number of people have these, I know a 24yo guy who came to me all excited as he finally bought his first "real knife" and behold - there is hollow handle "Rambo knife" made out of mystery steel with large stamp CHINA on the blade... to make it better - he got ripped off, he spent 60€ on that thing, he could have bought an actual decent knife for that money.

Here’s what I had to say about it in 2005:

It has a handle as ergonomic as a cactus, a blade that won't hold an edge, a retention system that doesn't work at all, a thumb opener that absolutely sucks, the roughest opening of any folder EVER, and a "liner lock" about as thick as rice paper! (with it "locked" open, you can move the blade toward the handle and watch the "liner lock" bow) The thing is an absolute piece of trash. I use mine as a grout scraper, and it barely functions at that job!

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE P.O.S.!!!!!!

My opinion remains unchanged. 🤣

Have you used/held one? It is an ergonomically pleasing and functional design. You appear to have some old vendetta's against Strider from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. The post is about the knife - not the man. And the knife is fine. Very fine.
Actually, the post is about the knife that you're the most embarrassed about owning. You went way off subject by jumping in because you, apparently, couldn't stand to see someone criticize Strider.

I got a really nice SMF, but I called and asked for the dealer to check it. The first dealer I called would not even check his stock. He said all of them are imperfect and if I wanted perfection buy a Sebenza. The other did pick me out a good one. The only brand I've ever done that with!

DPX HEAT. Solid little knife, but I bought it before I found out more about the character of RYP. Now I regret doing anything to enrich him.

At least your DPX knife was solid. I fell for the marketing hook, line, and sinker and bought a HEST 2.0 (made by Lionsteel) before I found out about his shenanigans here and elsewhere. It was the first knife over $100 that I bought for myself, and I thought it was going to be a good compliment to the half serrated Griptilian I had been gifted several years before. Boy, was I wrong.
That knife was an absolute turd. The Ti lockbar seemed like it wasn't hardened, and the lockface started deforming almost immediately. The stupid secondary roto-lock (which was sometimes necessary because of the crappy lockbar) fell off several times, even after I used loctite on the screw. Not to mention the blade had the cutting geometry of a brick.

At least your DPX knife was solid. I fell for the marketing hook, line, and sinker and bought a HEST 2.0 (made by Lionsteel) before I found out about his shenanigans here and elsewhere. It was the first knife over $100 that I bought for myself, and I thought it was going to be a good compliment to the half serrated Griptilian I had been gifted several years before. Boy, was I wrong.
That knife was an absolute turd. The Ti lockbar seemed like it wasn't hardened, and the lockface started deforming almost immediately. The stupid secondary roto-lock (which was sometimes necessary because of the crappy lockbar) fell off several times, even after I used loctite on the screw. Not to mention the blade had the cutting geometry of a brick.
Pretty much my experience with DPX as well. The “cutting geometry of a brick” comment made me lol because it is true.

Gas station knife/Flea Market knives as I had a few when I was a kid. My dad gave me quality stuff like a SAK and a Buck but I was all about them skulls!

I'm sure people have been embarrassed by CRKT plenty but in my experience I've always enjoyed them, when they upgrade the materials they make decent knives.

Pilar has been one of my most used knives in the last 4-5 years.

I owned a few Striders before I knew the back story and bought two Survive knives on the secondary market even though I knew the back story. Sold them all.

Edit: oh yeah, the were a few Emersons and Medfords too.

Jeez. I'm 42, but in my youth I did have quite a few tactifool knives. There was a little shop at North Pier mall in Chicago that sold all sorts of cheap ninja type crap. When I was 13 I had foam nunchaku, RIGID brand throwing knives (still have one of them in the sheath in a drawer), some smaller throwing knives with a wrist sheath, for hiding under your sleeve. I had a stupid little dagger, and some rubber throwing stars. LOL.

In my early 20's I bought the Phoenix knife by United Cutlery at a flea market for $25. Worst money ever spent on a knife. Here is a picture for your viewing displeasure.

jU9PU1R.jpg

Pretty much my experience with DPX as well. The “cutting geometry of a brick” comment made me lol because it is true.
I bought both the MilSpec HEAT and the HEST, and while they were both well made, they didn’t exactly fit my daily routine…blades were a bit on the thick side. lol

Also wasn’t a fan of the odd roto-block, but at least the HEAT didn’t have it. Silly design IMO

Jeez. I'm 42, but in my youth I did have quite a few tactifool knives. There was a little shop at North Pier mall in Chicago that sold all sorts of cheap ninja type crap. When I was 13 I had foam nunchaku, RIGID brand throwing knives (still have one of them in the sheath in a drawer), some smaller throwing knives with a wrist sheath, for hiding under your sleeve. I had a stupid little dagger, and some rubber throwing stars. LOL.

In my early 20's I bought the Phoenix knife by United Cutlery at a flea market for $25. Worst money ever spent on a knife. Here is a picture for your viewing displeasure.

jU9PU1R.jpg
Or was it the best $25 you ever spent and every knife you've bought since has been a fruitless attempt to recapture that moment?

Or was it the best $25 you ever spent and every knife you've bought since has been a fruitless attempt to recapture that moment?
Not long after the purchase I was hospitalized for heatstroke, so I think that may have influenced that particularly bad decision. I was north of Tampa, FL and it was over 100 degrees, and I'd been at the flea market for 3-4 hours. Thankfully, in one of my many moves, I lost the damn thing. Hmm, come to think of it, I wonder how I got it on the plane. It was shortly after 9/11.
Not a knife but I bought a single finger knuck when they started popping up. Embarrassing to say it but I think it helps to say it loud and maybe I can let it go now.

I've never been into any kind of knucks, but I wear a ring on each hand. Works nearly as well. About ten years ago I ended up punching a guy in jaw/face and left a nice imprint of Claddagh on his cheek lol.

I am NOT "embarrassed" about any knives that I have ever purchased, sold, given away or still own.

Some people might criticize the origin, design or purpose of some of those knives but IMO that's not MY problem, it's theirs.

Last edited:
I'm only a little embarrassed to own this because I like the knife. The dirt bag owner of the company sold it as made in Texas when it was actually made in China by We Knife Co.

Quartermaster Quaken XL (It is embarrassing to spell Kwaiken with a "Q")

M0cg3lr.jpg

Back