• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Knifemakers PLEASE beware!

eda-koppo said:
FWIW, the author is Canadian, so that might explain some of it.

Eda-koppo, as a Canadian, I would like you to explain your comment, please.
Because, as it pertains to the insults against this man in this thread, you seem to be using a person's nationality as a derogatory comment. Hopefully, you are still around, so you can respond to me.

Alarm? What's the big deal? I rarely tell vendors why I'm buying their product, or how I plan to use it, and assume most people do likewise. Is it really the seller's right to know?

So what if the guy has opinions that aren't "knife friendly"? Counter his arguments, correct his mistakes, and keep the conversation going so that everybody gets to have their say and make informed choices.

Maybe it's more alarming that so many of you guys are scared of a book.

Welcome to the forums sharp stuff...maybe read more and post less? Just some advice..

Ah, yes, the "agree with me completely or shut up" school of public discourse.

eda-koppo said:
FWIW, the author is Canadian, so that might explain some of it.

Explain what, that he is literate?
I certainly do not want to support Dr. Turdburgler and his book, but if you think I am going to sit back and be lumped in with him because he happens, unfortunately for the rest of us, to be from Canada... WRONG.

Your comment was offensive, and proof-positive you should crawl back under your rock, and rot. Or, maybe pay a visit to my great country, and have a look around before you open you mouth again.

Yes I know this is an old topic, but it's pinned up, and today is the first time I read it, so it gets a response.

BTW, I didn't even look to see where you live, eda-koppa. Because it is not relevant.

Pissed off Jim

If someone gives a little slam to Canada because they have went the way of Europe in criminalizing guns and knives and whatever else, I don't think that this backhanded remark is cause for great national offense.

As an American I can tell you that we are used to to being slammed - often from Canadians. Don't you remember the remarks a number of your "politicians" made about our President?

I mean no offense to any Canadian, but that remark summarizes how many Americans (who treasure our rights to protect ourselves by owning or carrying a weapon) feel. I used to love going to Canada every year until the Rangers made it pretty clear the last two trips that they did not want us fisherman from Minnesota up there (Quetico NP).

By the way, I agree with the vast majority here that this Dr Dull's real purpose is to try to make it illegal to carry these tools, and we will fight against this.

People should refrain from lumping the citizens of a country with the decisions their govenments make. Being Canadian does not mean that we support stupid regulations.

Keith,
I agree the comment was not in the spirit of unity, & should not have been made. By the same token considering the context of the post, the laws up North, and quotes from Canadian politicians the past few years, I can understand how an occasional wisecrack like this can slip out.
Bruce

Broos said:
Keith,
I agree the comment was not in the spirit of unity, & should not have been made.

Which is why I do not make derogatory comments about other countries. There are laws in every country that I disagree with, including Canada and the States. In fact, there are very different laws governing firearms, knives, etc, from State to State. I still don't hear everyone from State X being slammed by people from State Y. Sure people have comments among themselves, but this, or any other internet forum is not the place. The next thing you know, you'll be defending racist comments, because a large number of a certain ethnic group broke the law, or are unemployed.
QUOTE=Broos]Keith,
By the same token considering the context of the post, the laws up North, and quotes from Canadian politicians the past few years, I can understand how an occasional wisecrack like this can slip out.
Bruce[/QUOTE]

WTF?

Now don't get me wrong, I am certainly not sensitive to criticism, and heartily agree that many gun or knife laws in Canada are foolish, (Yet I don't seem to have any problem buying or using the guns I want), and I have no problem with someone making a JOKE.

And, yes several politicians in Canada have said some pretty silly sh!t. HELLO!!! Are you telling me there are no US politicians that have made some faux pas'??

Jim,
I just did some research, and Canada has very strict gun laws. Canada has a representative form of government. So many Canadians agree with strict laws against private ownership of guns, right? In that context I don't see how that post is so offensive.

Go to AR-15.com, or other gun site - I've never heard any of the California guys getting upset after someone made a wisecrack about "Kalifornia" and their restrictive laws.

The next thing you know, you'll want to pass laws against offensive comments against Canada, just because you are an overly sensitive Canadian - just kidding, but it's not as ridiculous as your similar race statement!
Good luck,
Bruce

Fair enough. I just get my back up when I get lumped in with that side of the debate.

By the way, the laws are not AGAINST private gun ownership, unless you have a criminal background, or something else that would make gun ownership irresponsible, such as mental illness. There are rules as to what types of guns you can own... No autos, and numerous other restrictions. Many states have restrictions. But, I can buy handguns, rifles, shotguns, various carbines, etc. It is just a matter of obtaining the proper licences, as I do, and that can take time. It is getting quicker, though. If I went to a gun store and wanted to buy a new hunting rifle, I would be in and out in twenty minutes, gun in hand.

Yes there are many people against private ownership of guns in Canada. And the U.S., and everywhere else.
There are a small percentage of people who are actively against gun ownership. The rest are not educated in firearms, and related facts. They hear "crime prevention" or "shooting crimes are up", and jump on the bandwagon.
Just because an elected official is the guy you voted for, does not mean that you get everything you want. Someone gets voted in, and you take the good with the bad.

Anyway, we are not all anti-gun, anti-knife, or anti-anything else. Espescially me.:p

Thanks for the info. I wondered whether you could just purchase a gun once the necessary Gov't forms are on file. I still would hate to see similar laws where I live (the TN knife laws are bad enough) - looking over the prohibited weapons list for Canada really opened my eyes. I and most of the people I know here would have some illegal items there (mace is against the law??). We certainly agree that more restrictive laws against knives, guns, and impact devices are not needed, and in that light the comment did not need to be made. I'd love to be up there fishing right now - the North Woods are so beautiful in the winter.

Broos; I live in Canada, and since the liberal government (now voted out of power) brought in the gun registry and a whole heap of gun laws, we have huge personal & public safety problems here. Crimminals have been hacking into the gun registry data base using it to locate gun owners, and then breaking in and robbing their guns. The illegal gun trade bringing in guns from all over the world is big business in Canada, and the result has been an increase in shootings in our cities.
In rural Ontario and I would suspect most of the country we have black bears rampaging through homes tearing up everything, as well as stalking and consuming people. :eek: The federal government will not listen to the pleas of victims of bear attacks. We are not allowed to carry handguns in the rural areas and its getting real scary out there. The loggers have cut down vast areas of mature forests leaving behind little habitat that can support wildlife. Now wildlife including bears look for communities and homes to find garbage, or vegetable gardens to find food.
For the last 8 years or so, every year we get our share of black bear ripping up our local neighborhood. He destroyed my BBQ on my deck last year, and I was the lucky one. My neighbor down the road had his house broken into by the bear, and their kitchen was completely destroyed. The government doesn't care about rural people's problems with bears and seems to believe that controling guns is the solution to our ills. The only thing the Ontario government did to address the bear problem was to set up an 800 toll free bear problem phone line!!!!!!!!:barf: Just imagine dialing this number while the bear is rummaging aroung the house in the middle of the night!!!:eek:
One size fits all, full blanket coverage Gun control, and knife control is clearly not the answer to addressing public safety. Personal safety, and promoting a healthy economy with low unemployment is more likely to work. The other thing is that police should focus on criminal behavior, rather than civil liberties regarding firearms, knives etc.
If it were my choice firearms courses would be made manditory at the highschool level, with training at the gun range. Only then will young people learn to respect firearms. Learning about guns by watching movies and through books is clearly not the way to go, but this is the only avenue youth today have in Canada and in other jurisdictions. Civil libertarians need to raise their voice, and get organized before the politically correct crush us all.:grumpy:

After reading the thread again I am beginning to think that this publication of yours is merely a front to your wife to legitimize your personal collection. Not a bad idea if you were to keep the publication as a collectors guide but to allege that these tools are the choice weapons of criminals, et all, is misguided at best.

In fact, if you had conducted some more in-depth research you would have most likely discovered that most agencies, LEO, military, and even professional private agencies utilize their own training personnel and manuals, and rarely if ever contract with a mere collector to display edged tools that he has acquired. They also usually write their own safety manuals.

Considering the US government will allow you to download a pdf file that has all this type stuff in it. No one needs to purchase this information, especially Law Enf. Types. JL

Has anybody ever seen a copy of this book?

Edit: I used a search engine and found that the book is indeed available.

Keith,

Although the book has been "published" and is "available", I seriously doubt that the "author" ever had any real expectations that it would be sold or distributed in any quantity. I have yet to see it ANYWHERE in spite of some folk’s earlier apparent support of the concept that agencies/departments actually routinely buy these types of books for training purposes.

The publishing venture was most likely an excuse to his wife for the accumulation of his knife collection. Either that and/or he MAY have required some legitimization of his "collection" to the government if there are any Canadian laws that restrict any of the pieces in his "collection". That is of course only speculation on my part.

I still find it curious that in spite of the author allegedly being a knife collector and aficionado and his ability to put together a book, that he was apparently never able to see through the murk of his venture to take note of how poorly the marketing of his book represented the "knife world", the makers that he had purchased from, and the "knife worlds" inhabitants in general. It never ceases to amaze me at how "some people" will attempt to trample their neighbors in pursuit of coinage. Poor decisions on the author's part, at best...

Stuart

Back