KNIPEX - Cobra XS Water Pump Pliers

I really appreciate the up talk but I think we need to focus more on the pliers.
Thanks guys
G2

I think we need to focus more on the pliers.
Toward that end...

I've lived 37 years without a set of these. I certainly don't need them.

Ordered!
I am actually looking at the 5 or 6" wrench pliers also.
I routinely pocket carry a 5" Cobra, and have been surprised at how often I use them...especially since I wouldn't have considered pliers appropriate for some of the tasks, lol.
I have a 6" Cobra in the small tool kit that lives in my backpack - going up a size for that seemed like a better option than dropping to the XS (and the 7.5" wouldn't fit); but, every time I see this thread, I find myself considering grabbing the XS.

Toward that end...

I routinely pocket carry a 5" Cobra, and have been surprised at how often I use them...especially since I wouldn't have considered pliers appropriate for some of the tasks, lol.
I have a 6" Cobra in the small tool kit that lives in my backpack - going up a size for that seemed like a better option than dropping to the XS (and the 7.5" wouldn't fit); but, every time I see this thread, I find myself considering grabbing the XS.

Yea, I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a couple of months now... It was only a matter of time, lol. The final nail in the coffin came when I picked up a set of 10" Knipex Cobra Pliers a few weeks ago that I didn't think I needed, and then proceeded to use them damn near every day since I bought them. They're dead useful.

Yea, I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a couple of months now... It was only a matter of time, lol. The final nail in the coffin came when I picked up a set of 10" Knipex Cobra Pliers a few weeks ago that I didn't think I needed, and then proceeded to use them damn near every day since I bought them. They're dead useful.
Just wait until you experience the awesome power of the Plierwrench...just ridiculous compound leverage squish:cool:

Just wait until you experience the awesome power of the Plierwrench...just ridiculous compound leverage squish:cool:

Man, don't tempt me, I've been on a tool buying spree. My shop is just a pile of Wiha/Wera/GearWrench/Knipex/Channellock/Lenox/Makita boxes that I need to go through and sort, lol.

View attachment 1548252 Although it's not very diminutive, the best tool so far (IMHO) is the compound action side cutter.

I need to hear more! I need a new set of 8" side cutters and I'm trying to decide between the Klein, Knipex and Channellock right now. Specifically the Klein D228-8, D2000-28, Knipex 7401200SBA, and the Channellock E338... Maybe I should be checking out those Knipex 7371180 too though, although they are nearly twice the price as the others.

I need to hear more! I need a new set of 8" side cutters and I'm trying to decide between the Klein, Knipex and Channellock right now. Specifically the Klein D228-8, D2000-28, Knipex 7401200SBA, and the Channellock E338... Maybe I should be checking out those Knipex 7371180 too though, although they are nearly twice the price as the others.
The 7371180’s have twice the price and twice the leverage. Cry once!

The 7371180’s have twice the price and twice the leverage. Cry once!

I've got a set of Wiha mini flush diagonal cutters for 16 gauge and thinner stranded wire, so I just said screw it and grabbed a set of the 8" Knipex Cobolt cutters rated for 3.6mm piano wire or 5.2mm nails. I figure with the stuff I'd use them for (bicycle brake wires and light fencing mostly), I won't need them to make really clean cuts.

I've got a set of Wiha mini flush diagonal cutters for 16 gauge and thinner stranded wire, so I just said screw it and grabbed a set of the 8" Knipex Cobolt cutters rated for 3.6mm piano wire or 5.2mm nails. I figure with the stuff I'd use them for (bicycle brake wires and light fencing mostly), I won't need them to make really clean cuts.
The cutters I use for stranded bike brake and shift cables have curved jaws and form a circle as they close. I often solder the strands together before I cut them. For music wire I use Starrett end nippers with Carbide insert jaws. Everything else gets nipped with Knipex 7371180’s.

The cutters I use for stranded bike brake and shift cables have curved jaws and form a circle as they close. I often solder the strands together before I cut them. For music wire I use Starrett end nippers with Carbide insert jaws. Everything else gets nipped with Knipex 7371180’s.

Yea, I have a set of cutters that are specifically made for brake cables, but they seem to crush the housing quite a bit. Maybe user error (or just cheaply made). A buddy of mine has a 10" set of the Cobolts that he uses for brake lines and they work real well. I figure the 8" version should work as well (I wouldn't be clipping brake lines often). I snagged the ones with the recess, which his didn't have, that should help the grip a bit. I definitely won't be cutting any musical instrument wire (I'm all thumbs) that's just the material the Cobolts are rated up to. I figure hardened piano string is some tough stuff, so these should be able to handle chicken wire, bailing wire, maybe the odd coat hanger, etc.

For the record, my last post was a bunch of lies - The 7.5 inch Cobra is actually 7 .25". It actually does fit in my little tool kit; and it's been there for 3-4 months. The 6" Cobra isn't in there, it's sitting on my desk... The 6 inch version is sort of a misfit for me, with the 5" usually in my pocket and the the 7.25" in my pack.
<sigh> I feel better now
View attachment 1548331
Surefire Titan (~3.25"), small starbenza (~4"),
5" and 6" Cobra pliers

*Edited because my phone thinks it's smarter than me....(it is, except when it changes my words - then it's usually wrong)

Last edited:
2kTwzd3
Not sure if I posted here , CountyComm has a little tape measure for like 2 bucks. It comes with a nylon sheath. The xs fits in there pretty good.https://flic.kr/p/2kTwzd3

2kTwzd3
Not sure if I posted here , CountyComm has a little tape measure for like 2 bucks. It comes with a nylon sheath. The xs fits in there pretty good.https://flic.kr/p/2kTwzd3
I believe you did, as I subsequently purchased a couple. Darned if I know where I put them when they got here, though. This thread reminded me about them last night; but, if they aren't in the most likely place, if will probably be next weekend before I can look for them. (The joy of working long stretches of 12hr nights :confused:)

Alright you bunch of enablers. I may or may not have a pocket slip on the way too. ;)

XSrn5FC.jpg

2m1MbDm.jpg

I ordered these along with the Cobras. I think the big river site may have had a price mistake because there is NO WAY these should have only cost $27.
FqMhFgq.jpg

For the record, my last post was a bunch of lies - The 7.5 inch Cobra is actually 7 .25". It actually does fit in my little tool kit; and it's been there for 3-4 months. The 6" Cobra isn't in there, it's sitting on my desk... The 6 inch version is sort of a misfit for me, with the 5" usually in my pocket and the the 7.25" in my pack.
<sigh> I feel better now
View attachment 1548331
Surefire Titan (~3.25"), small starbenza (~4"),
5" and 6" Cobra pliers

*Edited because my phone thinks it's smarter than me....(it is, except when it changes my words - then it's usually wrong)

I edc the same Surefire Titan. For a triple A flashlight, it sure has a TON of output. Big fan.

Man... This thread is stupid (but not really, lol). Buying the Cobolts, socket wrenches, and two Cobra pliers got me thinking there were a few more cheapy and/or worn out tools I've been meaning to replace (or at least kick out of my shop and relegate to the tool bag in the house).

When all was said and done I grabbed the Knipex 7.25" Pliers Wrench, 6.25" needle nose, a set of Wera Kraftform Plus insulated screwdrivers, an 8" Stablia spirit level, a 12" PEC combination square, 6" machinists square, GearWrench ratchet wrenches, and a couple Mag-Mate 1" Kant Twist clamps.

I blame you all.

Back