Knives and flashlights ( traditional )

Back in January, we were waging war against a mouse that had made it into our house. My wife went to a couple of hardware stores to look for live traps designed for mice, and also came back with this NEBO light. I like it and the light it produces, but it's certainly not very compact. I recently acquired an all-stainless marlinspike folding knife, and decided to get a couple of photos of the knife with the (almost) all-stainless light.

First shot in the basement laundry room, with the flashlight providing the only illumination.
nebo.litesdown.marlinspike.jpg

Next shot is a flash photo to show off the cold steel of my tools:
nebo.marlinspike.flash.jpg

- GT

Nice olight and pocket slip. I like that tribal blade too… is it glow in the dark covers?

View attachment 1989992
Thanks, the slip was made by my 86 year young dad…I can just drop the whole thing in my field bag or backpack with no worries…got a light, blade, and pencil all readily available. Both the Russlock and the teardrop are glow in dark kirinite.
31422e13-80d0-48ad-9d28-4fe881f50d45-jpeg.1990082
5958C2DF-2FC6-41C9-A713-C91EAFACB256.jpeg

Practicing my "Case date skills", I'll say the knife is from 1977.
But practicing my "Case pattern recognition skills", I'm lost. My best guess: is that an 07 pattern as a clip/pen jack, before they became a clip/spey mini trapper??

- GT
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!🥳 🎆
Correct on all counts Gary. 1977 6207 with clip/pen.

Nice photo, Mike! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT
Thank you :)

Knives are not the only subject in which I like old school. Schrade 861 with an incandescent aaa mini mag.

View attachment 2081451
I love maglite, but will say that I definitely prefer the LED variants.
Even though they don't have the cleanest beams they're bright enough to get the job done.
I can't help but wonder how much nicer the incandescent xenon bulb maglites would be if you could get an aftermarket reflector to really clean up the beam, the light output on the xenon minimag isn't really terrible but doesn't quite overcome the haloing and artifacts like the led versions do.

I love maglite, but will say that I definitely prefer the LED variants.
Even though they don't have the cleanest beams they're bright enough to get the job done.
I can't help but wonder how much nicer the incandescent xenon bulb maglites would be if you could get an aftermarket reflector to really clean up the beam, the light output on the xenon minimag isn't really terrible but doesn't quite overcome the haloing and artifacts like the led versions do.

You can get orange peel aluminum reflectors for D size mags, and can make them fit in C size with modification. Those make for a great beam but don’t exist for the mini mags. There are some options for mini mags that help but not as well as the orange peel reflectors.

You can get orange peel aluminum reflectors for D size mags, and can make them fit in C size with modification. Those make for a great beam but don’t exist for the mini mags. There are some options for mini mags that help but not as well as the orange peel reflectors.
That's a shame.

Good to hear that there's a reflector upgrade for the d cells, I may have to get one for mine that has an LED conversation in it.

Paul, the first truck I bought new was a ‘92 S-10. I carried a Mini Maglite in the glove box and a 34OT in my pocket. Still have the 34OT and light, the S-10 went away long ago.

That’s a neat coincedince Jim. This s10 is a ‘93 and was the first (and only) vehicle I’ve ever had. Still going strong about 12 years after buying it from the original owner.

Back