Knives you don't need, but you want...

There is something to be said for those knives that aren't completely practical, rarely prove necessary, but nonetheless are just badass in design and capability. I'm sure there will be purists out there who turn their noses up at these knives, but the way I see it if you ignore every knife that isn't 100% practical, your collection will consist of 1 small folder, 1 4.5" bushcraft knife, a hatchet, and maybe a machete..not for me. Some stuff I want just because its awesome, even though the chances of me needing a "one tool option" to depend in in the woods is relatively slim.

That being said, what beastly blades are you currently thinking about buying/already own? I am starting to see the TOPS el Chete in my dreams, it's totally not necessary but its a total chopping monster and I want to possess it...I'm about 75% I will get one in the coming weeks.

Nothing I collect is practical. Knives for me are visceral. They are an object of desire that just happens to be very useful. As such my priorities don't revolve around any "need". If all I was in this hobby for was "needs" Id have a cheap well made Kershaw and be on with my life. With that said I have balisongs, OTF knives (one being a very expensive custom deadlock) and flipper folders equipped with bearings. And my new favorite being a steelcraft FS bodega with a handground blade and hand satin finish. None of that is practical. And that is why I like them.

I thought you meant of the knives I have but looks like maybe people are listing knives on their wish list.
I will be really boring and say I have my grail (I NEED that) but one I bought that I certainly didn't need but like is the CS Spike. Like I said . . . boring.

"Need" is a strong word. Although I've limited myself to only knives that I will use, the first knife that came to mind here is the Gerber Mark II. I have one and can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it. It's really only good for combat, but it's a beauty.
The list of GEC folders that I would love to have grows by the day too.

A Spyderco Dodo. Totally useless, had two of them and sold them both, but damn what a fantastically useless knife.

I have to give a nod to every blade from Zombietools. I have the Reaver Cleaver, it is epic...I want almost every blade they make.

A Buck 119 special or an army stamped KA-BAR.
Do I need this long of a blade for edc ? No I don't, but they're too classic and iconicly American for me not to want.

Back