Knives you don't need, but you want...

At this point, any knife I look at that I don't already own is one that I don't need...but I want some of them anyway. Most recently, that has been a SteelCraft Bodega and a Hinderer MP-1. Both are out of my preferred size range; but I have knives comparably sized to each that I really like. I know those are exceptions to "the rule", but it was enough to not let being too large/too small squash my desires. I recently purchased both....
The Bodega arrived yesterday; and, while fully appreciating its awesomeness, my initial response was that it is too big. (Interestingly, I made another impulsive purchase that day; and that knife is "too big" as well, even though it is much smaller.) I knew I wasn't going to be satisfied until I had the Bodega in hand - it was the only way to know for sure how I was going to feel about it.
The MP-1 should be here tomorrow. Hopefully, that will be a rare win in its size range (I wouldn't have taken the plunge if I didn't love my copper handled Spider Monkey)

The classic stacked leather version is what I'd want, but my dad and grandfather were both in the US Army so my dad would never let me live it down if I got the standard USMC stamped version.

Easy fix, look at the Ka-bar 1220 "Army" version.

Want but not need? Any of my large (>6") fixed, but I love those big boys so I have'em, and want others. And double edge boot types, love those too.

Lately I've been really considering the GEC Beer Scout. Sure, I like to drink a few beers here and there, but while I like the looks of traditionals I rarely ever carry one(save for my 303 when I'm working on the truck/bike).

There just seems to be some invisible force that's drawing me to it. I don't think I'd carry it as much as my other knives, but I really, really want one. Haha.

After collecting and using knives for over 20 years, the answer is just about every one of them I don't need, but the want is always there.
Yup.

Gotta say, what I really LOVE about threads like these is that I always get to discover a bunch of new (for me) knives.

Like a few people here, that G&G Hawk Deadlock is my least practical desire. In NY you can only carry autos when hunting or fishing. That is not a knife you throw in your tackle box.

Probably the best example for me would be the Spartan-George V-14 dagger.
Spartan_George_V-14_Dagger_LRG__68747.1445615946.1027.677-764x508.jpg
I love the classic commando knife modernized and improved vibe It has. It just aesthetically appeals to me. It would also would suit my conceivable knife needs like a tuba on a Snap On truck. Knowing that doesn't seem to make me not want one.

In NY you can only carry autos when hunting or fishing. That is not a knife you throw in your tackle box.

I didn't realize they were legal at all there. Is it that there's an exception for safety reasons in some circumstances? I mean like being able to deploy one-handed while fishing/getting tangled in line or something? Not that I'd have a deadlock tossed in the tackle box either lol.

Another I don't need, a Busse MOAB. I sure want one though. Oh, and a CPK dagger would work too.

I didn't realize they were legal at all there. Is it that there's an exception for safety reasons in some circumstances? I mean like being able to deploy one-handed while fishing/getting tangled in line or something?
That's exactly right. It's a safety exception.

Apparently, the lawmakers don't see the irony.

Randall Model's 2 and 16
Lozada Aries
Medford Marine Raider Dagger
Vehement Knives Combat Dagger
Steingass Bastion Dagger
Carothers Integral Dagger

That about covers it.....for now;)

I have my eye on a custom Alan Folts Sultan Folder.

I'm sure it doesn't do anything better than my Spyderco Military 204P. But I really like the looks of it. I want it. But at five bills , I'm dragging my feet.

Dan Keffeler's Sasquatch as an over the top expenditure. And while at it, an Alan Warren Bowie would be awesome too :)

Spyderco Salt folder variants and the fixed blade Fish Hunter which are nice and quite affordable but not presently needed. That said, one can never go wrong with having too many functional and serviceable Spydercos!

Totally impractical, I want a Helmforge carcass splitter. Just an absolute beast that will cleave whatever is in front of it. Probably will never get used, but you never know...Just an awesome weapon to possess, and the smith seems really talented.

A Spyderco Vallotton L'il Subhilt. More knife then I need but I do want one.

,,,Mike in Canada

Back