Knives you don't need, but you want...

My "wants" are a bit more modest- right now I'm stuck on the BRK Bravo Survivor but that will change in the future.

A Buck 119 special or an army stamped KA-BAR.
Do I need this long of a blade for edc ? No I don't, but they're too classic and iconicly American for me not to want.

Have both. Rarely carry either, but I love both of them. The KA-BAR, actually the USMC stamped leather handle version, I needed to have because of its heritage and iconic design. I tracked down a pre 1986 Buck 119(when they were made with 440C) at a gun show a few months ago, in mint condition with original sheath, box, and papers. One of my most prized knives, I bought a new sheath for it and I actually do carry it in situations where I'm fishing in ominous areas. I probably will never have to use it in these situations, but I feel a lot better having it on me.

Fairbairn-Sykes and Ek Commando knives. I've had just enough training in knife fighting to know I never want to be in one, but I love the aesthetics and history behind them. I carried an Ek Bowie on my first deployment (Desert Shield/Storm) and it just didn't suit my needs, but damn it looked good.

I have quite a few knives that I wanted, but didn't need, but the one in my collection that most epitomizes this is my TOPS Wild Pig Hunter. Totally impractical and useless unless you actually hunt wild pigs I guess, but it is just so darn cool. I do not regret buying it!

Praetorian for sure! I already have many knives I don't need, but I will always want more.

I hardly ever use any of my knives. A single bladed cheapo gas station folder would likely handle the cutting tasks I run into from time to time, but I would rather not use a cheapo knife for my rare cutting tasks. So pretty much all of my knives are a want and not a need.

Several come to mind. Keffler Sasquatch for sure. I've also wanted a Busse CGFBM for a long time, that one nags at me in my sleep, lol.

I really want one of those F6's from Gravelle, too. That is a sick blade. Might as well throw in one of the Behemoth Choppers of Nathan's for good measure while we're getting wistful :cool:

Have both. Rarely carry either, but I love both of them. The KA-BAR, actually the USMC stamped leather handle version, I needed to have because of its heritage and iconic design. I tracked down a pre 1986 Buck 119(when they were made with 440C) at a gun show a few months ago, in mint condition with original sheath, box, and papers. One of my most prized knives, I bought a new sheath for it and I actually do carry it in situations where I'm fishing in ominous areas. I probably will never have to use it in these situations, but I feel a lot better having it on me.
The classic stacked leather version is what I'd want, but my dad and grandfather were both in the US Army so my dad would never let me live it down if I got the standard USMC stamped version. I've also worn a US Army woodland camo bdu patrol cap every single day since I was 12 ( was my dad's from the early 80's but had to be replaced last year when it finally fell apart ) and wouldn't feel right wearing a US Army issue cap and using a USMC stamped knife.

An Emerson Super (or even standard) Desert Roadhouse. All my hard work folding needs are covered by my other Emerson (Horseman) but I would loveeee a Roadhouse. Again, can't think of much I would use it for that I couldn't use a different blade for, but it always catches my eye. Maybe someday soon!

The classic stacked leather version is what I'd want, but my dad and grandfather were both in the US Army so my dad would never let me live it down if I got the standard USMC stamped version. I've also worn a US Army woodland camo bdu patrol cap every single day since I was 12 ( was my dad's from the early 80's but had to be replaced last year when it finally fell apart ) and wouldn't feel right wearing a US Army issue cap and using a USMC stamped knife.

Damn, that is some commitment to a piece of headgear. o_O

Damn, that is some commitment to a piece of headgear. o_O
The hat was a part of me and it was actually kind of a sad day for me when I had to replace it.
When this one needs replacing I'll have to buy another one, because
a woodland camo US Army bdu patrol cap will be something I continue to wear for the rest of my life.

There would be no end to a list of knives I don't need but want.

An endless list. I think this goes for most people who love knives.

I really want a carbon fiber dierware but that's not gonna happen anytime soon. I don't need it, I just want it. I'd say it's a Grail that some day I may get.

Back