Kukri Knives

all the blades in the pics of this thread are really great I would like to be able to afford some of those -- BePrepared - the one with the Hammon can you tell me who makes that or is it one of a kind ?

I bought the Ontario a few weeks ago, and i love it! Sheath isnt great but it works. an HI is def on my list but the Ontario is what i could afford at the time

Those are not khukuris they are khukuri like objects as we like to say. A true khuk is hand made and has a nice convex edge... IF you want a chopper, dont get something that is flat ground like the CS. my 15" sirupate by HI can out chop the CS and its smaller. MY HI is 3/8 inch thick too. Would you rather have something that is mass produced with a robot personality, or would you rather have something that is lively and hand made? Not to mention that with the traditionals you get a extra small knife and a sharpening steel.

Borderline Magical for sure.
If you want a real Kukri, Himilayan Imports is the way to go. Everything else is in the also ran category.

The also rans can and are great knifes for their intended purposes.

I'm more of a one of kind, made one at a time by a skilled borderline magical kami, than a number 6,734 out of 12 million produced off a CNC machine on a factory floor.

But that's just me. No right or wrong answer here, well there is to me but we've already been there.

Well, I guess if you believe in magic, then the choice is clear. I don't. Knives are simply steel with handles and nothing more to me, unless they are sentimental objects such as gifts from special people.

I like the CS much better if you are worried about fighting with it. The full flat primary and v grind will be much more effective, IMO. A convex grind will work better on wood. The HI's are well made traditional khukuris, but they certainly aren't perfect either. I've had some with spotty heat treat, and I find the butt cap is a constant source of irritation while chopping. I also have problems with the horn handles splitting in my dry climate. But in all, they work fine, just be aware of what you are ordering.

Yes, as a general rule, I'll take a CNC product that has been professionally heat treated for most things. They tend to have repeatable high quality. But at times I buy hand made for other reasons, sometimes sentimental, sometimes out of curiosity. Neither one has a "soul" or whatever, IMO. YMMV.

hi guys - I own nine or more HI blades five of them HI kukri's ; so i was only asking about some of the others custom i saw on this thread just for the hell of it -- by the way what does "KLO" mean ? - i do not get on the internet very often so i cant keep up with all the abbreviations

Thanks -
- Eric

Well, I guess if you believe in magic, then the choice is clear. I don't. Knives are simply steel with handles and nothing more to me, unless they are sentimental objects such as gifts from special people.

I like the CS much better if you are worried about fighting with it. The full flat primary and v grind will be much more effective, IMO. A convex grind will work better on wood. The HI's are well made traditional khukuris, but they certainly aren't perfect either. I've had some with spotty heat treat, and I find the butt cap is a constant source of irritation while chopping. I also have problems with the horn handles splitting in my dry climate. But in all, they work fine, just be aware of what you are ordering.

Yes, as a general rule, I'll take a CNC product that has been professionally heat treated for most things. They tend to have repeatable high quality. But at times I buy hand made for other reasons, sometimes sentimental, sometimes out of curiosity. Neither one has a "soul" or whatever, IMO. YMMV.

The rubber handles on the Cold Steel version will tear the flesh from your hands. It is no fun to use for anything more then a few chops. Then again, you could use it with work gloves.

n2s

The samurai's have used convex edged blades for centuries. Also, The Ghurkhas have effectively used their blades to lop off heads for centuries which have convex a convex edge. And My HI's get scary sharp with the right sharpening technique.
[QUOTE= The full flat primary and v grind will be much more effective, IMO.

BePrepared - the one with the Hammon can you tell me who makes that or is it one of a kind ?
BFH44,

I'm not BP but I think that's a laminated blade not a hamon, by claudio-cas and it's a Custom.

Doug

Hello!

Like Doug said, it's a lamination line on one of Claudio and Ariel Sobral's Custom Kukris. Here is a set I was lucky to get from them earlier this year:

original.jpg

Doug, always enjoy seeing that Knight piece!

Best regards,
Alex

The samurai's have used convex edged blades for centuries. Also, The Ghurkhas have effectively used their blades to lop off heads for centuries which have convex a convex edge. And My HI's get scary sharp with the right sharpening technique.
The full flat primary and v grind will be much more effective said:
That's fine, I feel that the CS grind is superior for combat. It certainly outperforms my HI's in this area. That doesn't mean the HI's are bad, they're just not as good. IMO.

That's fine, I feel that the CS grind is superior for combat. It certainly outperforms my HI's in this area. That doesn't mean the HI's are bad, they're just not as good. IMO.

And you're basing this assumption on...? Traditional khukri's have been used as both tools and weapons for a few centuries which is hardly something the recent CS design can compare to in terms of pedigree.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know?

Cadavers? Convicts?
I thought that might get some raised eyebrows. :D Not done on anything living. Nor on death row. But on materials as similar as I could make them, at least, to my satisfaction. I had access to some large dead critters also for a while...

And you're basing this assumption on...? Traditional khukri's have been used as both tools and weapons for a few centuries which is hardly something the recent CS design can compare to in terms of pedigree.
My own testing. Yes, they've been used for a long time. My point is this. People in history have not been able to test modern steels and designs, they had to work with what they had. We are fortunate to be able to use both. Who is to say what they would use if we could time-travel them to the present day.

This assumes, of course, that we are all interested in performance, not some blood-god residing in the blade or something like that… :D

I thought that might get some raised eyebrows. :D Not done on anything living. Nor on death row. But on materials as similar as I could make them, at least, to my satisfaction. I had access to some large dead critters also for a while...

My own testing. Yes, they've been used for a long time. My point is this. People in history have not been able to test modern steels and designs, they had to work with what they had. We are fortunate to be able to use both. Who is to say what they would use if we could time-travel them to the present day.

This assumes, of course, that we are all interested in performance, not some blood-god residing in the blade or something like that… :D

I have no doubt that 3V would make a great khukuri done right. Other "modern" steels as well, but 5160 is a good steel for an impact cutting tool.

As for stamped out plate steel with a flat final bevel and a KLO silhouette, it's cheap to turn out.

For khukuris see: Post 9; Post 12; Hank Reinhardt's khukuri (http://blackjack.0catch.com/pages/reinhardtkukri.htm)

So I guess you would also prefer a Katana shaped machete (CS makes these too) over a real Katana. What if one blade hits the other? Will the Samurai be laughing or you?
Same with thin Kukris, probably ok against boneless meat but add some leatherjacket, bones and another blade to the mean guy and some more robustness and chopping power on your side wouldn't be a bad thing.

Back