Kukri WIP - The Bone Collector

Thanks Salem.

I can't wait to have a pommel on there. So here we go.
Cutting a nice chunk of 3”X3” brass.

WIP_Kukri_92_zps7d405209.jpg

Now I need to cut a small slot in this diagonally. Well obviously that won't work in the vise that way. :( Put my thinking cap on and woke up the little hamster inside my noggin. Most of the time he is asleep in his wheel. ;)

WIP_Kukri_93_zps579aac6c.jpg

Finally figured a simple way to do it. Cutting some flats on the corners.

WIP_Kukri_94_zps0d67e49e.jpg

And voila! Not the greatest hold but enough for slotting soft brass like this.
NOTE: No machinist was hurt in the filming of this movie. ;)

WIP_Kukri_95_zps3dbdeb59.jpg

Already looks good. Of course it need to be trimmed down a lot but I am keeping this pic for a future project. There is something visually there that I think I could incorporate in some future design.

WIP_Kukri_96_zps6a028b1e.jpg

Starting to refine the shape.

WIP_Kukri_97_zps88d63cad.jpg

The shaping is not defined yet but a work in progress that evolves at the same time as the other handle components. But I still want to keep some kind of symmetry so from time to time I draw centerlines and ellipses for reference.

WIP_Kukri_98_zps9c7ce7f5.jpg

I think that this is about as big of a knife as my vise will take. :(

WIP_Kukri_99_zps7e4f4fa1.jpg

Started work too on a leather covered wooden sheath, my first. I need to buy a router to do this or use a 3 piece construction. We'll see how it goes.

WIP_Kukri_100_zps164e8279.jpg

So there you have the Khukuri as it stands now.

WIP_Kukri_101_zpscc165d7b.jpg

WOW! Already 100 pics. :eek: Sure hope you like pics cause I see at least 100 more before I finish this, if not more. :eek:

Thanks for following along.

Looks like it's coming together Patrice. :thumbup:
Always cool to see how your ideas develop. :D
Erin

Patrice - This is coming along quite well.
Just a thought....
I'm just looking at how you routed out the sheath. It looks like you're making a full welt design.... with a pretty wide mouth to accommodate drawing the blade.....?? Have you considered an open spine design?

Thanks Peter.

Yes I did think it and I might fall back to that if I don't like this one or if I don't do a good enough job since it is my first. But I wanted to add as many traditional features as I could and with my preference for Persian blades I think I really need to start learning about hard sheaths.

Patrice Lemée;11793151 said:
Sure hope you like pics cause I see at least 100 more before I finish this, if not more. :eek:

I'm loving this WIP, Patrice. Thank you for taking the time and letting us follow along!

As I've said before Patrice, I am loving this blade man! And yes, bedding is the correct terminology for that, when you bed a gun you make the action and the stock have a 1 to 1 fit, be it by very good internal carving or through use of bedding material. So I would think it would be called the same thing in knife handle making.

Question, do you have any tips as far as drawing out the shape on a kukri, every time that I try to draw one it looks like a 3 year old did it. I get too much curve, not enough curve, weird looking flats, just an overall odd looking drawing. So, are there any tools that you used when drawing out your design? Thanks!

Thanks Shawn, Weatherman and Daniel. I am glad you like this. :thumbup: More to come tonight.

JC, thanks for the info. As far as drawing is concerned, no need to start from scratch since you will end up with basically the same profile anyway. Not saying you can't try and add personal touches afterwards but to start, just take a profile from an existing Khukuri's and use that. I use mostly Inkscape, a great free drawing program http://inkscape.org/. It will let you easily play with curves.

Thank you for the information Patrice, I am pretty sure I have Inkscape, I think you have mentioned it before, I just need to sit down and figure out how to use it now.

JC, I think I will make a little Inkscape tutorial to help people get started. It's really an easy program to use but it might not look that way when you don't know where to start.

Patrice, I think that inkscape tutorial would be awesome if you get a chance to do it. I read that you used inkscape and downloaded it, but I am not so good at it....

I'll try and put a little something together Joe.

Back to it. First of all I am not “feeling” the offset pommel. There is surely a way to make it work but it is not coming to me right now so let's go back to the original pommel idea. Basic wood mock-up to make sure.

WIP_Kukri_102_zps4342ba7d.jpg

This will work better.

Next: alignment pins. We will need those since we need a round hole for the pommel and it won't index as it did with the square one.

First we drill holes for the 1/16th stainless steel dowel pins it the pommel spacer.

WIP_Kukri_103_zpsae9f73d9.jpg

We put it back on so we can drill through the bone vertabrae.

WIP_Kukri_104_zps39cf33a3.jpg

Now we use a bit of CA to temporally attach the pommel to the spacer.

WIP_Kukri_105_zps2a768ffb.jpg

And back to the drill press for the holes in the pommel.

WIP_Kukri_106_zps4b7ef73f.jpg

If the fit is really good and you put too much CA, like I did :eek:, a little bit of heat applied with torch will loosen the CA right up.

WIP_Kukri_107_zpsb6b357c9.jpg

And voila! Everything lines up and will keep doing so through the roughly 3145 times we will need to take this apart before we are finished. :(;)

WIP_Kukri_108_zps89e75c8c.jpg

More tomorrow.
Thanks again for following along.

I agree that Inkscape is a great drawing program- I got it on your recommendation, and now design the bulk of my knives on it.

Back