KUR New LionSteel knife 2016

I just ordered a used kur for $77, any reason to suspect it’s a copy? Any tell tale signs it’s legit vs fake?

I know what the retail price is, I bought it used. Just wondering if there are any fake versions and if so how to tell?

So I decided to put a patina on my KUR blade just to keep the mirror polished surface from discoloring after exposing in to corrosive materials. I disassembled the knife, polished it up with Flitz and steel wool, and then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. After that, the entire blade had a mirror finish. I then dipped the entire blade in a hot glass of apple cider vinegar for 30 minutes. Usually this will turn a carbon steel blade deep blue. On the Sleipner, it turned the surface of the steel a slight blue with random textures like that of a drywall ceiling. So far, the patina seems to help prevent rust and discoloring. Cleaning the blade with oil/CLP and steel wool does not remove the patina, so it is fairly durable.

I like the result a lot, and makes me even happier using Sleipner steel.

Any pictures? Will definitely be trying this when I get mine. I'm still slightly worried the one I bought might be fake but haven't gotten far on finding out how to tell a real vs fake.

Any pictures? Will definitely be trying this when I get mine. I'm still slightly worried the one I bought might be fake but haven't gotten far on finding out how to tell a real vs fake.

I wish I had taken before and after pictures. After I had polished the blade with Flitz and steel wool it had more of a mirrored chrome appearance. The patina was kinda hard to get a clear photo of based on what angle you viewed the surface reflection. Kinda like how you have to view a Japanese katana at just the right angle to see the hamon. My buddy said the Sleipner patina kinda looked like a stonewashed finish, only with a slight blue/tan tint to the steel. You can see the color change if you compare the stropped blade edge to the patina of the rest of the blade. I liked the KUR before, now I like it even more. I'll have to expose it to more perspiration tests to see if it resists rust any better now. So far it resists discolorations that you get from cutting corrosive foods and woods.

Last edited:
Got mine and have been carrying it a few days now. Really nice knife, everything is just quality. Took it apart and bathed the blade on cider vinegar and it has the same look as above, a kind of blue tinted Stone wash. I'm surprised more people don't carry and talk about this blade. It's on the larger side of my typical EDC but definitely not overly large.

I still can't believe I scored this for only$77, I feel a little bad but I don't think the guy selling it knew what they retail for our he just wanted to get quick cash. Nothing I see on it indicates it's fake so I'm 99% sure it's legitimate.

I'm surprised more people don't carry and talk about this blade.

Although I am becoming a big fan of LionSteel's Sleipner(the stainless steel that performs like carbon steel), I think that a lot of US customers focus on steel composition and the internet picture graphs that compare edge retention, toughness, and corrosion resistance(every manufacturer shows different numbers though). Sleipner is a fairly unknown steel in the US, and with many US customers placing their primary focus into composition numbers, they are missing out on a truly excellent knife and a great hard use steel.

Got mine and have been carrying it a few days now. Really nice knife, everything is just quality. Took it apart and bathed the blade on cider vinegar and it has the same look as above, a kind of blue tinted Stone wash.

So far the patina has proven to be VERY stain and rust resistant. I exposed the blade to sweat while running which resulted in some rust spotting where the sweat droplets accumulated. However, a little steel wool and oil and the rust just disappeared with no damage to the blade. The patina definitely helps.

Maybe the Lionsteel guys should replace the satin finish on their Sleipner blades with a patina. They can call it "Aged Patina" or something so that it sounds like cheese or wine.

Sleipner works well for me. I think half the people that clamor for "super steel" dont even cut stuff with their knives.
When s35vn is a deal breaker compared to m390 for people I just shake my head and laugh.
The Kur is a nice knife for the money, sleipner not withstanding.

Russ

Any update on the KUR with wooden handles? The Lionsteel website says expected delivery: May 2018. It's june now.

Thanks for the heads up RamZar! You are on the ball with so many new knife drops, I have benefited more than once.

Regards, Russ

Loving my new KUR wood. Perfect F&F, beautiful wood scales, beefy blade stock but still a good slicer due to being FFG - this one is a winner!
PvsQrOH.jpg

Back