Larry Davidson Balisong

As many of you may have discovered by reading the thread posted earlier this week: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180235 Larry Davidson and I have a balisong in the works. It is still in the early phases but it promises to be an excellent balisong.

I had originally approached Larry to make me just a blade and I was going to have Mer make me a set of handles to fit, but Larry decided that a balisong was something that he would like to construct completely and we began to come up with ideas.

The blade style is going to be base on his Avenger model with its agressively sexy profile and its excellent cutting ability. This balisong is designed to be a tactical model so the handles will be skeletonized Ti or with inserts, but they will have a uniquely Davidson look to them. As I said, it is still in the early stages so there are no actual pictures to show you, but I can show you the blade profile being used.

With Larry making balisongs in the US, many of those who worry about breaking the law by importing a custom will have no fear to order from Larry. Let us hear what you guys think, the more support there is for this project, the faster it may become a reality for everyone.

Mark

Very cool Mark!! I love seeing new profiles.., and I think Mr. D's work proves there is lots of interest in goofing around with non-traditional profiling.

Do you guys have any scale in mind yet?? (i.e., 4" blade, etc?) Sounds like a fun project.., and thanks for posting the picture, anything with a re-curve gets me going :p ...heck I like 'em all, so sometimes I wonder why I bother commenting...lol. See ya!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

I am in love with that blade, like a deep belly scimitar!!!! :D :D
One of the big things that makes or breaks a balisong is the price vs quality, I imagine that Mr. Davidson's knives to be of very high quality, but what would a basic skeletonized model cost? $400+? $600+?
One of the reasons Dobruski's are popular are they are high quality and one can buy a brass handled, bowie bladed Dobruski for less than $200.
I look forward to hearing of how this project is coming along. :D

We are aiming at a 4" blade that is 5/32" thick. Mr. Davidson wants to get as much blade into the handles as possible and still allow for a latchgate.

Mark- That's a really beautiful knife. I like the profile quite a bit, as a bali that would be incredible. And yeah, I agree - as soon as you have even rough estimates of price quotes or anything, I'd like to know. Count me in the "very interested" party! :)

Originally posted by BaliLover
We are aiming at a 4" blade that is 5/16" thick. Mr. Davidson wants to get as much blade into the handles as possible and still allow for a latchgate.

It sounds like it's going to be a cool knife. Post pictures of prototypes as soon as possible! I hope you mean 3/16"(0.1875) thick, otherwise I'll be walking with a limp if it's 5/16".:D

Mike

Ooops, Sorry about that Mike, I meant 5/32". I wasn't thinking correctly when I posted 5/16 as that would be WAY too thick. 5/32" is the correct measurment.

Thanks Mark...geeesh when I saw 5/16 I was about to go by steel-toed boots in case I dropped in on my foot :(

The project sounds great..., boy I like that profile!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt that they [NEED]"

Larry does awesome work, I have been undecided on which knife he should make for me next...this Bali idea sounds great, I'm very interested.

not a great pic.....

View

You can tell already that this thing is going to be a peice of art! That is a great profile for a bali blade, can't wait to see how it turns out...keep us posted Balilover!

Originally posted by BaliLover
Ooops, Sorry about that Mike, I meant 5/32". I wasn't thinking correctly when I posted 5/16 as that would be WAY too thick. 5/32" is the correct measurment.
what exactly does 5/32", 5/16" etc mean? 'five devided on thirtytwo inches'?

Originally posted by ixpfah
what exactly does 5/32", 5/16" etc mean? 'five devided on thirtytwo inches'?
No, it is the thickness of the blade material in terms of fractions of an inch. In this case it's thinner or thicker than a quarter of an inch. 5/32"<1/4"<5/16".

In your metric terms:

5/32"=3.9mm
1/4"=6.25mm
5/16"=7.8mm

Hey guys, this project has taken on a life of it's own. Which is cool.
As this Bali is in the prototype stages the particulars may change, but for now the blade will come in around .156 (5/32" or 3.9mm for the engineers out there). It will be based on the Avenger blade profile. I'm working out the cad drawing now and am looking at adding BM type horns to the blade with the addition of thumb serations following the horn profile and making the horns curved to fit the thumb. Mark and Tony are working up some nice handle details as they have much more experince with Balis. I'll add their ideas to the cad drawing and work out the fits and details, etc. I will post the finished drawing here when it is completed.
I am humbled by the amount of intrest in this Bali. I have received emails about getting in line for a Balis when they are completed. So to be fair to everyone that is interested, I have set up a file and am adding names to it in the order I receive a request.
As I work up the prototypes I will post pics here as I can. Similar to the pics UWMitch posted of his SE while it was being machined and built. I guess that's about all I have for now. I am looking at having the prototypes done by the first or second week of Jan. 02. I still have orders for folders to get out so bear with me. I'll try and answer any questions you might have. LarryD

Originally posted by tonyccw
No, it is the thickness of the blade material in terms of fractions of an inch. In this case it's thinner or thicker than a quarter of an inch. 5/32"<1/4"<5/16".

In your metric terms:

5/32"=3.9mm
1/4"=6.25mm
5/16"=7.8mm
oh, i see.
thanks, tony, i love how you always explain the 'hard stuff' for dumbass-me (and perhaps even some other dumbasses ;)). thanks :)

I know you guys that have one on order are chomping at the bit for an update so here it is.
Balilover has the final AutoCad design drawing and is giving it the final once over. His input and suggestions have been great in bringing this project together. He will post the drawing and give the particulars at that time. If this piece turns out half as sexy as it looks on paper, well I'm just gonna have to make myself one too. LarryD

Okay guys, heres the final drawing. OAL when open is 9.36", closed is 5.56" from the base of the handle to the tip of the tang. The blade is 4.28" long from tip to tang pin. The handles are made from either 3/16" or 5/16" Ti slabs with channels milled out for the inserts. The blade is .145" thick with washers on either side.

The overall thickness with 3/16" slabs would be around 1/2" once the scales are fit and the handles are rounded. With 5/32" slabs, the thickness would be reduced to 7/16".

If there are any questions please feel free to post them so that others can read the answers.

Price = TBA

My lord, you two have created a monster! As if the blade profile wasn't enough, I really like the way the whole tang area looks, very interesting. I can't wait...

Back