LB7 Bear Paw LB Survey

Codger_64

One of the most often posted questions over the years has been regarding the LB7 stamps, pins, and serial numbers. I am fairly sure that many of you here now have one or more LB7s, and it would be of great help if you could list for me the serial numbers, pins, and tang stamps. My off-forum survey so far has proven inconclusive on dating the changes of the four main tangstamp variants, and how they relate to the pin changes, packaging, and serial numbers. Also, I have recorded a few (very few) LB8s with serials. If you would like to help, please list your knives this way:

1. D25654 - four pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

2. Q81829 - three pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

3. AY81596 - three pin, MAC etch.
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .

4. No Ser# three pin, tan box
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .

Thanks!

Michael

None with serial numbers here. I feel like I'm missing out.

1. No Ser# three pin, tan box
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .

2. No Ser# four pin, no box
Schrade+
U.S.A. LB7

3. Maroon Micarta
3 larger diameter n/s pins
n/s bolsters
Schrade+
U.S.A. LTD

I assure you, with three nice LB7 variants, you are not missing out! Every little bit helps with this too, even the ones with no serials. Can you post a pic of the four pin? I've only seen the delrin four pins with no serials until now.

Michael

It's a little hard to tell from the photo but these each have a very different grind on the blades. I really need to invest in a flat bed scanner one of these days.
2up7q5l.jpg

The four pin came from Andy at Sportsnuts. I think he had alot of stuff from the factory clean out, so no telling for sure of it's history.

AA23701-three pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

AV62519-three pin
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A.
MAC etch ( have a pic if needed)

Most SFO's and limited editions would not have serial numbers, unless stamped on the mark (nail nick) side of the bolster. Serialized production LB7s had them on the edge of that bolster per the picture below.

This is my earliest one, the 326th one made in 1977. This is an LB7NS SFO.

Michael

AV89094
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

3 Pin
White Box with Uncle Henry in script on top

1. #6504 Limited Edition (On Blade) 3 Pin Schrade+ USA SC507 2. No Ser# 3 Pin Schrade+ USA SC507 3.No Ser# 4 Pin Schrade+ USA 507SC Came in a Uncle Henry box Tan Not sure if right box 4. No Ser# 3 Pin Schrade+ LB7 USA 5. No Serial# 3 Pin Schrade+ USA Limited (LB7DP)

#6504 Limited Edition (On Blade) 3 Pin
Schrade+
USA SC507

No Ser# 3 Pin
Schrade+
USA SC507

No Ser# 4 Pin Came in a Uncle Henry box Tan Not sure if right box
Schrade+
USA 507SC

No Ser# 3 Pin
Schrade+
LB7 USA

No Serial# 3 Pin LB7DP
Schrade+
USA Limited

Thanks guys! No, the 'production scrims' won't usually have serials unless they were originally part of a set, in which case they should all have matching numbers. They did also sell many of them as singles. Here is a typical single Scrimshaw Of The Great American Outdoors box.

For both of the 2 rightmost knives in this photo:

No serial numbers.
3-pin
Uncle Henry
Schrade +

schrade-lb.jpg

Codger with regards to your quest, I had to bug my boys to whip out their LB-7's bad boys for examination.

Uncle Henry 3 Pin
SCHRADE+
#AY31346

SCHRADE+ 3 Pin
#R21734

SCHRADE+ 4 Pin

I hope this helps, I was always wondering what the lettering in the serial number was for anyway. If SCHRADE went up to 100,000 or 1,000,000,000 and then started to go with the alpha numeric numbering system. I always thought the RXXXX was a replacement number for a lost or stolen knife. I sincerely hope that none of the knives I have listed are the SCHRADE stolen list, I would hate to have the new owners of Schrade try to take them back, they would have to pry them from my cold dead fingers. Thanks, Scott

Codger, My Serial Numbered Knives as requested. Is it possible to post that 4 pin LB 7 photo for me to support.Thanks.
Schrade + 4 Pin
Fancy Bolster #021250

Schrade+ 4 pin
#F9729

Schrade + 4 pin
#A25594

Schrade + 4 pin
#L71865

Uncle Henry
Schrade + 3 pin
#Y4696

Schrade+ 3 pin
#W53545

Schrade + 3 pin
#T63610

Codger those 2 Customs photos I sent are both bolster numbered as well, do you wish to post as well?
Dark Custom Uncle Henry Schrade + 3 pin
#AY 35502

Light Custom Uncle Henry Schrade + 3 pin
#AW 89707

Re Boxes. I keep my Knives separate in one chest from boxes and sheathes in other chests. My dilemma will be in due course matching them all up so cant tell you exactly which boxes belong to 4 pins.I'm going to send lrv photo of all boxes in one photo! which should be interesting, and maybe all sheathes!At least I have kept paperwork in boxes. Trust this helps Hoo Roo

So far, this is how the numbering system is shaking out:

First serial numbers were four place digits. I have 0326, so there is a 0001 out there, possibly a 0000, and a 9999.

Serials up to 17693 were produced in 1977.

Serial numbers 17694 - 334585 were produced in 1978 when 316,892 LB7's were made.

Serial numbers 334586 - 785250 were produced in 1979 when 450,665 LB7's were made.

Highest all numeric would be six places, 999999. I have recorded serial number 914569. Thus the first million knives had no alphas. This point was reached some time in 1980. A total of 1,106,906 LB7's had been produced by the end of that year.

When the single alphas were added, the serials still kept to six places max, so only 99,999 knives were made of each alpha. Lowest alpha recorded so far is A25594.

When the rotation went to double alphas, the serials went to seven places. I've recorded BB56630 as the highest double alpha. Some time after this, the serialization ended.

This is what I have so far.

Thanks Codger, I found 2 more I was about to post and one is higher than your BB post.
Schrade + 3 pin #BB56630
Schrade + 4 pin 742181.

Hollow. I have three LB7's. The first is my user/every seasn 4 pin schrade+ with a s/n of c28691. Second is schrade+, no s/n, 3 pin, grey/black box and last 3pin, schrade+, no s/n and a blue/grey box.

Back