LB7 Bear Paw LB Survey

lb74.JPG

I laughed at that one too. I used to drive my dad nuts with the way I'd mark my stuff; it bugged him that I wouldn't be neat or discreet. I liked to be able to tell from a ways away that something was mine.

~Chris

Hi - Have many LB7s - 3 and 4 pin - Sturdy Tools all

Got an oddly numbered 4-pin via auction today.
J761 - 4 characters centered in the normal spot on the bolster
Looks to be same, normal stamp font
Haven't seen that numbering scheme before

Sorry but can't as yet take a pic to put up

Howie

Howie, as you have noticed if you have read thru this thread, the production LB-7 serial numbers pretty much always contained more numerics or alpha numerics that yours. I have no proof of it, but your four place serial suggests to me that the knife was made for something special. Like a set for a special retail custommer, or some sort of commemorative. The features added to the knives to customize them varied. Sometimes they had laser engraved handles, fancy bolsters or gold filled blade engravings, other times it was nothing more than a light blade etch which, with time and use, disappeared.

Anyway, this is all "best-guess" supposition on my part, that the "J" denotes the issue like the "BP" denotes issue on my U.S. Border Patrol knife, serial # BP0108.

731ob8.jpg

Hi Michael - thanks for the reply

Yup based on postings that precede me - sounds like a logical (logical and Schrade?) conclusion

Only other thing is that it came with the SAS-18 black basketstitch sheath that looks all but new - could have been paired up at a later time.

Blade is mint and bolsters/scales don't show any wear but have a good bit of accumulated 'age'. Looks to have been stored closed for years.

Thanks again -- HOWIE

Both 3 pin

Q53217
SCHRADE+
USA LB7

AX46310
Uncle Henry

SCHRADE+
USA LB7

Last edited:
I know I bought the Schrade Old Timer 165 just before going camping in the San Juan Mountains above Ouray, CO in 1976. I'm not sure when I bought the Bear Paw which has received heavy use both camping and as my edc for a couple of decades of landscaping. I bought it new and I know I had it when I took a month long ride on my BMW R100RT in 1981.

R34922
Schrade+
USA LB7

Schrade1.jpg

Schrade2.jpg

I have 2 Uncle Henry Schrade+ LB7 's gifts to me and my dad ~1982-83 time period. They are 3 pin, wood handle.

The Numbers stamped on them are Y794 and Y767. Does anyone know what the numbers mean, they don't seem to follow the usual numbering convention for the LB7's

...a stated 1980/81 purchase by original owner. 4 Pin with Box and bling, had never been opened so should all be original to 1980. Serial Number 902396 before Alpha started in late 1980?...<Codger has determined the 1,000,000th was achieved during 1980>...Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P9190001.jpg
    P9190001.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 35
  • P9190002.jpg
    P9190002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 39
  • P9190004.jpg
    P9190004.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 47
I have 2 Uncle Henry Schrade+ LB7 's gifts to me and my dad ~1982-83 time period. They are 3 pin, wood handle.

The Numbers stamped on them are Y794 and Y767. Does anyone know what the numbers mean, they don't seem to follow the usual numbering convention for the LB7's

The "Y" alpha will take a bit of head scratching to figure out, but most likely they were intended for a limited edition knife of some sort, probably an issue of 1,000 pieces or less. Had they fit into the regular production numbers, they would have been like "Y000794" or similar.

The "Y" alpha will take a bit of head scratching to figure out, but most likely they were intended for a limited edition knife of some sort, probably an issue of 1,000 pieces or less. Had they fit into the regular production numbers, they would have been like "Y000794" or similar.

Thanks for the reply Codger. Was it a normal practice for Schrade to have a limited edition with special SN's? There are definitely no zero's between the Y and the 794.

Yes, just like the U. S. Border Patrol knife shown above with the BP0108 serial. That issue was a SFO (special factory order), but many of them were for Schrade's own limited editions. Those often, but not always, had the ivory colored Delrin handle covers with special scrimshaw art. Some had special shielding added instead such as for MAC Tools Anniversary, usually with a special blade etch. Or the customer might have only ordered their knives with serials and etch. Schrade would make a customer pretty much anything they wanted. You pay, they'd play.

Almost always, more knives were produced than ordered. Some were rejected during production, some on final inspection, and some held for warranty replacement. I note for instance that my Border Patrol knife was never used, yet had hits on the bolsters. And it distinctly lacks the usual gold paint fill in the lasered lettering on the wood covers. IMHO, it was a production reject. Had the order been for 500 pieces, there might be an example out there serialed #BP0535.

I just pick this one up at a local knife & gun show:

Ser# 3583
3 pins
Uncle Henry Staglon
SCHRADE + USA
LB7
Tan sheath, no box Near mint

Does anyone have any information? It's the first one I've seen with the Staglon handles.
Jerry

Yours is an early LB-8 imho. They used LB-7 blades and were also serialized. See link below:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768703&highlight=lb8

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723199&highlight=lb8

Hope this helps.

LB7 Collectors -- Love the LB7's - have a bunch of 'em
Since I read this thread, I've done a little tracking myself to try and see where the change from 4-Pin to 3-Pin took place, serial#-wise

With all the auctions I've checked and sellers I've questioned, the best answers were right here in this thread!!

So far: N21301 has 4-pins N37957 has 3-pins

Howie

Last edited:
Going over some items I inherited that have been stored a long time. Couple of knives I am researching. This one is:
Schrade+
USA LB7
SN V30634
3 pins through the wood side plates.
1 more pin at the pivot, obviously.
Black leather belt sheath.

Looks like it was never carried or used. Very light tarnish on the brass, cleaned right off. Has to be a minimum of 15 years old I think, based on who owned it and when he passed away.

Would appreciate hearing opinions on age and range of value of this vintage of LB7.

SCHRADE +
4 pin
Serial # is 7100. Yes, 7100 (see photo)
Bought mine brand new from a gun store in the late 70's, or very early 80's.
I carried this knife for quite a few years, and it saw a "lot" of use.
I don't know if you can see it in the third photo, but the blade is engraved with my initials, and so is the pommel, one initial per side. :cool:
-Bruce
Serial # 7100
standard.jpg

SCHRADE +
standard.jpg

Whole knife
standard.jpg

Two more for the records.

1. s/n X18073 is a 3-pin (no box, papers or sheath)

2. s/n 824389 is a 4-pin (white box, papers and black sheath)

01.jpg

Last edited:
Back