leaveing the fold..selling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bigjim, before you put your HI stuff up for sale lets meet up. Since you posted that you live in Salinas which is where Norm and I also live lets all meet up, I would be interested in making some direct purchases from you and I know Norm has been wanting to see this M43 I have so this gives us knifenuts a chance to meet...An easy place to meet at is Trigger Hill:D then we can move off from there...hey please post some pics of your H.I stuff this way they get ready to do some sharkin...

I am free any day and any time you choose

Hey Norm bring that D-Handle when we meet

sweet said:
Hey Bigjim, before you put your HI stuff up for sale lets meet up. Since you posted that you live in Salinas which is where Norm and I also live lets all meet up, I would be interested in making some direct purchases from you and I know Norm has been wanting to see this M43 I have so this gives us knifenuts a chance to meet...An easy place to meet at is Trigger Hill:D then we can move off from there...hey please post some pics of your H.I stuff this way they get ready to do some sharkin...

Good Idea sweet but I want to try tradeing them off first as agroup.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393876

bigjim said:
I have tried, I really did. I tried to buy into the mystique, the product loyalty.

"I truly hope this post will spark honest talk and a improvement in HI products."

Goodbye,
bigjim

What would you liked improved and how much are you willing to pay for it? As with everything else; money talks BS walks. HI has been very open and transparent about the products they produce. If your expectations were off then perhaps they were unrealistic to begin with.

A few years ago, I asked Bill to look into producing a premium line of HI khukuries. Something more along the lines of better 19th century examples with a targeted starting price of somewhere around $1,000.00; these were intended for more advanced collectors. He was already too sick to look at it then and we agreed to shelve it until he was better able to travel. Unfortunately, it never was to be.

Perhaps you should take the same approach. but expecting a heavy use user knife priced at $100 to have the same fit and finish as a relatively small hunting knife that sells for many times that amount is just plain silly.

n2s

sweet said:

i live in southern NH on an apartment reservation (ie: modern cluster living :p)... i know there's a few forumites (HI and BF in general) within an hour of here. i wonder if a meetup, especially somewhere with trees and stuff that need massacreeing could be arranged. tailgate, lunch, swap and chat, all that good stuff.

March 26th, 2006 is the next NCCA blade show in marlboro, MA, that's not too far to hike either. i've seen some pretty pretty things, and gotten some good trades and deals there. i'm definitely going to bring stuff some i don't want and see if anyone wants to haggle/etc. probably not HI stuff though, as that's mine mine mine and most folx wouldn't know what to do with it, unless they first chopped a tree down, then they'd drool :) i guess i could pack a 2x4 or two :)

bladite

sweet said:

I'm there! Trigger Hill is easy for me. Jim had some nice snags I thought and I'd like to see them.

Norm

Svashtar said:
I'm there! Trigger Hill is easy for me. Jim had some nice snags I thought and I'd like to see them.

Norm
Norm, I would be interested in;

12 Inch Siru etched and Satin finished by me.

2each 12 inch pen knives with wood handles. Etched and one has been blued. Both sharpened to a very keen edge. I was going to use these but truely they don't do any thing all that well. I have better tools.

Karda knife with wood handle. Edge reprofiled by me and is now sharp as hell and actually is able to cut things.

Let me know if you can swing a deal.

Dick

some humans have a strange tendency to painstakingly construct a unreal universe and base their actions thereon.
(quote from 'crusade':david weber/steve white)

he is, of course, entitled to his personal universe, and will have to live with the consequences of his actions, in this world and the next. his journey thru this and future lives will be adjusted accordingly for their impact on others. i am sure a few days as a bug will help his developement and enable him to move up a bit higher next go round. blessings on him.

sogguy said:
Norm, I would be interested in;

12 Inch Siru etched and Satin finished by me.

2each 12 inch pen knives with wood handles. Etched and one has been blued. Both sharpened to a very keen edge. I was going to use these but truely they don't do any thing all that well. I have better tools.

Karda knife with wood handle. Edge reprofiled by me and is now sharp as hell and actually is able to cut things.

Let me know if you can swing a deal.

Dick

I will Dick, but frankly the way to part with them is to put them up one at a time on the Exchange. Jim will get more and people can pick and choose.

I've been reading Jim's posts for the past half-hour and am just trying to figure out what happened as he was so enthusiastic about his collection just a few months ago in Nov/Dec. But life's too short to be unhappy with stuff.

Norm

Personally I think I'd rather give my money and support to Yangdu and the Kami's, I'll be keeping my eyes on the deals of the day.

I don't like sharking in dirty waters no matter what the bait is.

Billy

Svashtar said:
I will Dick, but frankly the way to part with them is to put them up one at a time on the Exchange. Jim will get more and people can pick and choose.

I've been reading Jim's posts for the past half-hour and am just trying to figure out what happened as he was so enthusiastic about his collection just a few months ago in Nov/Dec. But life's too short to be unhappy with stuff.

Norm
I had not been checking his posts, I do see what you mean, I had thought if you put togather a bulk deal I could help. I'll keep better track and if anything on your end comes up, let me know. Thanks

Dick

medbill said:
Personally I think I'd rather give my money and support to Yangdu and the Kami's, I'll be keeping my eyes on the deals of the day.

I don't like sharking in dirty waters no matter what the bait is.

Billy

I understand your point Billy, but every time an HI blade is sold it supports Yangdu and the Kami's. Every time a new person gets one of these in his hands then new interest is created (and new sharks!)

If Sweet is nice enough to offer to setup a meet and greet, and invite me, then I'll be there. I'd like to meet them both anyway and show and tell on HI. But Jim isn't interested in selling them individually. If he lists them all with a pic and wants some high-end folders as trade, then someone with a lot of folders will cough up a couple and get a very nice "instant HI" collection.

Otherwise I would take them all and spend a lot of time and effort selling them back to you guys and others, which would be a huge PITA and exactly what Jim doesn't want to do.

If I didn't already have them all, I would still be interested whether the water is dirty or not. I mentioned that I am selling off a few HI knives in order to buy more, so I hope people would not think that they are not still supporting the kami's by buying them, as in my case any monies made are just going to go right back to the source.

Thanks,

Norm

Svashtar said:

Norm

Just no longer proud of them Norm. That is the main thing. I look at them, hold them in my hand I get nothing. In fact all I see any more are the crooked edges, wavy blades, gaps in wood to metal fit and so on.

I am sorry people are so threatened that I just don't like these things any more. I am grateful that you and one or two others are able to talk about this with out all the sugar coated slams questioning my grip on reality.

Munk is another hero here. He disagrees with me strongly but has not resorted to baseless insults. I respect that.

For the record polite hidden slams on someone are no better and prevent the taking of the moral high ground just as surely as open ones.

I have been nothing but above board and honest with my dealings with Blade forum members. I quickly and generously re-act to legitimate charities on this and other forums. Take a look over on the high road forum and do a search for my rifle raffle and ND post for another window into my character.

I stand by my first post and the reasons that have lead me to no longer value HI knives. Mine was not the first thread taking Yangdu to task for the super human numbers of knives made by Nepal's best Kami. The first one was more gentle. That was when Yangdu should have clarified the issue.

In a follow on post I said I would GLADLY eat my words if I was wrong. I still will. All I need is a post in the forum from Yangdu that says Bura makes all these knives. "Or" Its been a misunderstanding and while Bura does not make all the knives he is involved in the process and supervises the construction. Then change the marketing around Bura to reflect the truth. Either way I get to eat my words. Eating my words in this case would make me happy.

Ok I had my say, listened to the replies and responded. I wish Yangdu would chime in and just set the record straight.

Hers will be the only post I will respond to in this thread from here on.

Jim's allegations of dishonesty and poor craftsmanship have now been aired and addressed multiple times in this thread.

He has a for-trade thread (referenced in his post above) going in another forum. Since any items pertaining to trading with Jim can be posted there I see no reason to continue bubbling this rather rude and unpleasant thread to the top. I'm locking it down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back