let's do a bullseye salsa thread

anyone ever make kimchi/fermented and pickled salsa?

so. good.

someday I'd like to experiment with a sauerkraut/mesquite-chipotle flavored habanero salsa

Mmmm mmmm mmm

the big question though, as the southwest has spoiled me with salsa options, is...

who knows some good chutney recipes?

that's something I've never been able to make, nor tried much to follow a recipe with it. some naan and spicy mango or green papaya chutney would be so good together.

and naan is fun because it's so ridiculously tasty and easy to make as any other simple flatbread
yep kimchi makes a very interesting salsa, Ive added fresh sliced Serrano to my Kimchi’s.

next year when the Mennonite market opens, I'm going buy these amazing tomatoes, and peppers to make 5 gallons of salsa. However this thread is to show a fiddleback with salsa.
Hmmm Uhhh Mmm,..sorry about hijackin your thread. “Ah blame only mahself”:cool:

truthfully, my favorite is the carrots and jalapeños salad/salsa

that's so good

especially with kimchi :)
Many years ago l’d travel down to Laredo a couple of times a year among other things I’d get a gallon can or two of pickled jalapeños with carrots and onions.

This thread caused me to look up some photos of my old stainless Gaucho. It was sad to hear that this knife was destroyed in a fire. That knife cut-up a lot of food over the years I had it.

My salsa recipe is pretty basic. Jalapeños, yellow chilies, green onions, fresh cilantro, tomatoes, a little coarse salt, and fresh squeezed lime juice. I eyeball the measurements by color to get the right mix. I like more green than red to get the hotter flavor I like. I adjust the mix to suit the audience. My wife likes more red for a milder flavor. I’ll add habaneros if I am going camping to compliment the beer.

i-cjR6hdG-XL.jpg

i-4WcLPK5-XL.jpg

i-qs8MHX2-XL.jpg

i-dkN526B-XL.jpg

Phil

My go to Salsa Recipe

Caveat: if you deviate from this recipe (and I encourage you to after you’ve made this a few times) it will Absolutely change the flavor profile.

Fact: Along the way of coming to this recipe (a year long salsa competition with a good friend) I discovered that depending what order you put in the food processor or blender it changes the flavor. To dedicated kitchen people this is known as Alchemy! That said everything goes in whatever you use( I prefer a food processor) in the order I list below.

A. 1 medium ( about the size of a tennis ball) white onion , rough chopped

B. 2 to 3 cloves ( not pods) of fresh garlic (don’t be lazy and buy that crap in a jar). Also rough chopped

C. 4 to 6 fresh Serrano chilies ( no I don’t use jalapeños in this recipe) I cut in 1/8 in. Slices seeds in. ( light weights remove seeds and pith)

D. 1 large can (28oz) whole peeled tomatoes. ( no stewed, diced, or crushed, or even God forbid, tomato sauce).

I reserve the liquid and add if I feel need to.

E. 1 bunch of fresh cilantro. Rough chopped leaving out the stems.( for those of you who don’t like cilantro, I’ve met a few) just give it a try

F. Good Quality Salt. At least 1 rounded teaspoon ( but more to taste. And I mean Non-iodized... unless you are in a remote area and that’s what you have. But really you should be using Good Salt for everything.

Caveat: If you have used up your ability to use salt of any kind “I got nothin for ya”. But you do have my sympathy.

G. Apple Cider vinegar about 1 tablespoon right on top of the salt

H. Peanut Oil! (no really) get the kind that actually tastes like peanuts. Right on top of the salt and vinegar.

Epilogue: I do not liquify this salsa I prefer it chunky. So go to it easy and bring it to a reasonably chunky consistency. *For dedicated kitchen people adjust flavors as you see fit. I let mine sit for about 10 - 15 minutes... Alchemy Remember?

Get good quality corn chips. I warm mine up in the oven while I pour myself a good beer, a Lager or Pilsner for this kind of salsa is my preference.

And finally the bad news: home made salsas don’t keep very well. Peak flavors begin to change pretty fast. I tried canning/preserving salsas for awhile. It finally dawned on me. It’s ALWAYS best eaten fresh. The good news is that you get to enjoy it fresh all the time.
Enjoy Gentlemen! And Bmurray Bmurray “Just Say No” to store bought salsa!
That salsa is a winner! Delicious! I threw in a couple extra Serrano's for more heat. Pics to come!

Back