let's do a bullseye salsa thread

I would substitute tomatillo aka husk tomato which are readily available year round. They lend a bit more brightness. I’d steam them first, as I would with the standard green unripened tomato.
That's a really good idea, and certainly better than waiting around for green tomatoes to, umm... unripen?

I'm attaching the recipe I use. Came from my mother's grandfather.

Green Tomato Chutney

2 lb firm green tomatoes
1 Tbl salt
2 tsp chili powder
½ oz ginger root (fresh or dry)
1 lb brown sugar
2 tsp garam masala (Indian spice mixture)
15 cloves garlic
12 fl. oz. malt vinegar
1 ½ tsp caraway seeds (optional)
  1. Rinse, dry and chop tomatoes
  2. Skin and mince garlic and ginger
  3. Place tomatoes in large enameled saucepan/pot along with all the other ingredients.
  4. Cook on medium heat for 50 – 55 minutes (see note), stirring frequently with a wooden spoon and crushing the tomatoes slightly against the side of the pot after they have become soft.
  5. Remove from heat, and cool before putting into sterilized jars.
  6. Store in a cool place.
Notes:
  1. The firmer the tomatoes, the better. Once they start to get pink/red, they will fall apart a lot more when cooking.
  2. I’ve only tried this with fresh ginger.
  3. Don’t be tempted to skimp on the garlic.
  4. I cooked it for about 90 minutes, because the consistency was too thin after 55.
  5. I used the caraway seeds.
  6. The recipe scales well. I tripled it the first time I made it.

Green Tomato Chutney

2 lb firm green tomatoes
1 Tbl salt
2 tsp chili powder
½ oz ginger root (fresh or dry)
1 lb brown sugar
2 tsp garam masala (Indian spice mixture)
15 cloves garlic
12 fl. oz. malt vinegar
1 ½ tsp caraway seeds (optional)
  1. Rinse, dry and chop tomatoes
  2. Skin and mince garlic and ginger
  3. Place tomatoes in large enameled saucepan/pot along with all the other ingredients.
  4. Cook on medium heat for 50 – 55 minutes (see note), stirring frequently with a wooden spoon and crushing the tomatoes slightly against the side of the pot after they have become soft.
  5. Remove from heat, and cool before putting into sterilized jars.
  6. Store in a cool place.
Notes:
  1. The firmer the tomatoes, the better. Once they start to get pink/red, they will fall apart a lot more when cooking.
  2. I’ve only tried this with fresh ginger.
  3. Don’t be tempted to skimp on the garlic.
  4. I cooked it for about 90 minutes, because the consistency was too thin after 55.
  5. I used the caraway seeds.
  6. The recipe scales well. I tripled it the first time I made it.

This is one of my favorite types of chutney, apart from green papaya and certain kinds of mango chutney that can only be found in the kitchen of choice Indian grandmothers :)

and, my dear African ant bear, your recipe is very similar to my favorite for tomatillo and unripe (the more unripe, up to a point at least, the better) Georgia heirloom tomatos

unlike my favorite salsa I make at home, I will NEVER put kimchi (at least not cabbage based kimchi) in any chutney. in my opinion the two condiments are like oil and water

thanks for the recipe Aardvark/our resident African ant bear :) appreciate it :thumbsup:

Pulease, sir, "earth pig" is preferable over "ant bear"!
As they say, a rose by any other name, still stabs. That IS what they say, isn't it?

Regardless, glad that you liked the recipe.

I shall try Varga's suggestion of using tomatillos, either by themselves or in conjuction to green tomatoes.

I've been watching this and I'm wondering what chips are the better ones -- I'm assuming the best can't be found on aisle 12. We had some last week that were too thin and just broke under the weight of the scoop. Wasn't sure if it's triple dipping when the second chip broke trying to rescue the first and I just dug in with my fingers.

We use Casa Sanchez "Thick & Crispy" chips to avoid the breakage.

I've heard that some people coat them with epoxy first, but I've always thought that is a bit much.

My sympathies, if you believe the preceeding sentence...

thick-crispy-gruesos-casa-sanchez-sf.jpg
I've been watching this and I'm wondering what chips are the better ones -- I'm assuming the best can't be found on aisle 12. We had some last week that were too thin and just broke under the weight of the scoop. Wasn't sure if it's triple dipping when the second chip broke trying to rescue the first and I just dug in with my fingers.

I feel your pain.... Sometimes you give up one thing for another. I have been known to fry up my own but that’s decidedly not for everyone. On the Border makes a sturdy chip..but has a bit of a sweet, but not off putting flavor. Santitos are also sturdy and kind of neutral in taste..my favorite chips for flavor are Xochil but they are way too thin and won’t hold up to most thick salsas. If you have a local Mexican grocery I’d go there and see what might be good. Also I find that some Mexican restaurants actually sell their chips. Good Luck

I spent my teenage years working at a popular Mexican restaurant chain where one of my jobs was to fry large amounts of chips daily. It really is quite simple to do and given that someone has a little deep fryer would only take a few short minutes to fry yourself a typical grocery bag’s worth. They really are the best option and you can’t beat a hot and fresh tortilla chip! If we’re just talking dip payload, it’s hard to argue against the Tostito Scoop! Cheers!

I’m going to buy a bushel of these special sweet peppers this next year from our local mennonites, vacuum seal and ship them to all of the salsa guys. I might include a jar of NYC salsa.

I’m going to buy a bushel of these special sweet peppers this next year from our local mennonites, vacuum seal and ship them to all of the salsa guys. I might include a jar of NYC salsa.

Boobbaayy!! you can keep the faux salsa... BUT What if we all come to your place when those peppers and tomatoes are in season and have a weekend salsa blowout?

New York City? Ooooohhhhh!!! ( supposed to sound like feinting, remember the commercial?)

not my best photo of salsa but my @Cohutta
Baby Bearpen looks hot! The salsa is my basic recipe but with an extra bunch of cilantro. Not chunky, my food processor is still MIA somewhere in storage! My VitaMix apparently doesn’t do chunky very well. But it’s tasty!
26D781AE-5F34-4763-8B35-703A4F5F9EFA.jpeg

Back