Lets see some Hinderer action

Great video btw @whitty !

And props giving the 0566 the screen time it deserves.

Now if we could just get a tri-way Hinderer version.

^^ Yes - but I was refreshing pages and stuff. I knew they were going to land today at various places, but didn't know exactly where. It's obviously a very limited first rollout.
USAMadeBlade & DLT sold out crazy fast.. I would expect GPKnives to hit tonight or tomorrow, BHQ tonight or tomorrow.. etc.
I think one of the vendors said there will be a second alotment coming fairly quickly in case you missed the first.

Congrats on grabbing one, please post pics and a review when you receive it.

Reactions: KVT
My skinny sheepsfoot should be here tomorrow (Thanks for the quick shipping Whitty!) I'm pretty excited for it!

So, as I thought, the new Skinny 3.0 is NOT a real Liner Lock - it's a Ti frame-lock with 2 scales. Really looking forward to it!

onpE8o5.jpg

I'm a little confused what you're saying here, how is this not a real liner lock? Are you just saying it because the liners appear to be thicker than some other liner locks (say Emerson locks for example)?
When I think, "not a real liner lock" I think of the ZT 0393, which has overlays that don't completely cover the frame. This has two full G10 scales, which turns that lockside into a liner in my mind.

I guess in the end it doesn't really matter what we call it, Frame locks and Liner locks operate equally well and on the same principal.

My skinny sheepsfoot should be here tomorrow (Thanks for the quick shipping Whitty!) I'm pretty excited for it!

I'm a little confused what you're saying here, how is this not a real liner lock? Are you just saying it because the liners appear to be thicker than some other liner locks (say Emerson locks for example)?
When I think, "not a real liner lock" I think of the ZT 0393, which has overlays that don't completely cover the frame. This has two full G10 scales, which turns that lockside into a liner in my mind.

I guess in the end it doesn't really matter what we call it, Frame locks and Liner locks operate equally well and on the same principal.

I am confused as well. Someone please educate me on how the new skinny differs from a real liner lock.

Semantics on Frame-Lock vs. Liner-Lock. Like the Viper Hinderer Storm, like the ZT0393, like the Hinderer Maximus, like many, many others where you've got a thick Titanium frame-lock that just so happens to have a scale covering part or all of the lock. Those are all referred to as Frame Locks, even though they have 2 scales.
So on the ZT0393, it has 2 scales, yet I've NEVER seen it referred to as a Liner Lock. They sell aftermarket G10 and CF scales for the ZT 0393 that don't have the cutouts - does that magically make it a Liner Lock knife? Because a small portion of the frame is now covered up vs before?
I think not. When I think Liner Lock, I think of knives where the entire scale makes up most of the "frame" of the knife and the lock happens to be a very thin "liner" that sits inside the scale and doesn't really make up the frame of the knife, but serves as the lock mechanism. Examples of these are the usual more budget knives - Kershaw Atmos/Fraxion (this one, in fact, only has thin steel liner on one side as an insert - the G10 scales make up the "frame", most of the Artisan knives - the thick CF scales make up the "frame" while there's a thin piece of steel making up the lock, tons more examples, in fact most traditional Liner Locks are this way. Some knives in between, like the Steel Will Cutjack, where the steel frame is exposed and also servers as the lock, yet without the thick G10 scales, there's no knife.
Again, it's semantics and it really should have a category of it's own. Like "hybrid frame-lock" or some such shit.
A thick Titanium frame lock will always be a frame-lock in my mind, even if it has 2 scales, regardless of their size. YMMV

Liner Locks through and through - thin steel inserts on both or only one side of the scales (which make up the frame)
lejvUo7.jpg

7seo52l.jpg

These aren't so straight-forward. The bottom 2 are definitely considered Liner Locks, yet the liners are both visible and help make up the frame.
The top two are what I consider frame-locks - thick Ti frame-locks where the scales provide little to no frame-strength, yet there's one on each side
pwhU4x0.jpg

Again, these two, I'm calling frame-locks, even though they have 2 scales. BHQ calls the Storm a Liner Lock, but I've seen it referred to as a Frame-Lock as well.
Lw8jnqQ.jpg

^^ That's where I see the Skinny 3.0 falling in. Again, semantics. I'd say "Hybrid Frame-Lock" In the case of the Skinny 3.0, the G10 scales actually do look to provide quite a bit of rigidity/strength, so maybe "Hybrid Liner-Lock" lol
GaySEyn.jpg

As stated above, it doesn't really matter WTF it's called. All I know is the lock is NOT a thin piece of steel on the lock side, it's a thick damn piece of the titanium frame, dammit. :D

Last edited:
Look what just arrived! That was the fastest shipping ever! I wonder if you can guess where I got it.

hebaY6s.jpg

YgKXa8d.jpg

First impressions: The detent is really hard, I hope it breaks in a little, but this is definitely one snappy little flipper. There's no steel lockbar insert, I know some were wondering about that. This is my first 3" XM and I was a little surprised at how small it is, but t still fits in my hand fairly well. I'm glad they went with the linerlock construction on these, as a framelock version would've been way too thin to be comfortable. I've only sliced a piece of paper with it so far, but it is definitely slicey!

Thanks again to @whitty for the fast shipping and the shop mat, and I definitely look forward to using this one!

Mine’s still in the mail.
I’m a cheapskate on shipping. :D

How is the choil?
I’ve got 3 3.0s and they’re all no-choil slicers which I greatly prefer on a small blade. Is the choil usable?

Mine’s still in the mail.
I’m a cheapskate on shipping. :D

How is the choil?
I’ve got 3 3.0s and they’re all no-choil slicers which I greatly prefer on a small blade. Is the choil usable?

Mine actually beat the USPS estimated date, I never pay for the faster shipping either, I just got lucky.

This is my first 3 inch XM, and I'd say the choil is either just barely useable or just barely useless for me. I wear a Large glove, boardering on XL depending on the brand. If I grip it like my 3.5 and put the second knuckle of my finger in the choil, its not quite comfortable. If I grip a little further back and put my first knuckle in the choil it's fine. In the end I'm probably not going to be using the choil on this one much

Reactions: KVT
Yeah, that’s one thing I first noticed about the pics is the mini-choil.
Not one much for choils, however, on my new Cutjack 3.0, it’s actually got a pretty useful Choil.
I’ll compare the two when mine comes in.

Please do! I've always thought the cutjack looked similar to the XM, it would be nice to see a comparison.

Back